Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Support This Idea!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kaelthir
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Strathmore wrote:
I have meditation on Toren, and I so wish I could put him in Platemail and not wear a bear on my head. But as it is I can't. UO needs to come out with cheep, npc bought deeds that change the type of armor. My spirt of the totem could be a close helm, and my crappy leather could be crappy plate. And RBC, chain tunic. There, solved. Push that instead.

While it sounds nice and all, do you think they could implement something like that without it ending up being insanely buggy? It would end up having bugs that would drop your armour to the ground or have it disappear without changing.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
*laments once more over the unfairness of dragon armor being so damn poopies when it should be the best metal armor in game..*

Yup! Welcome to the poor planning of resists. I knew they didn't have any idea what they were doing when I found out how easy it was to have all 70's resists, yet the standard exceptional armor barely gave all 30's or 40's. If they really wanted the dragonscale armor to stand out, they should've given it special abilities to those elements, like absorbing the damage for health if you wear the full suit, possibly reflecting it, or maybe bursting when it hits the wearer (I.E., I'd love to see a team of red dragonscale mages popping fireballs at eachother to attack their enemies that are too close to either of them). Meh, maybe an idea for a freeshard or something Wink

Also another thought on platemail and how practical it is to wander around in it: Platemail isn't common in combat. It is extremely hard to walk around in and function in, as it weighs a ton. You are wearing like 50-100 pounds of metal. Ew. Why do you think, even in UO (pre-aos, mind you), people didn't often run around in full plate? It killed your dex, it was so heavy. Heavy archer was common, as was light archer (for you AOS babies, heavy archer is chainmail tunic/legs, platemail gorget/arms/gloves, and light archer was chainmail tunic/legs, platemail gorget, and ringmail arms/gloves).

Like I said, I'd love to see heavy archer and light archer be viable again, even if it was just in the roleplay sense.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Platemail wasn't common in medieval combat, no. But this isn't the medieval era. This is a fantasy setting with medieval ideas put into it. Most platemail that is worn on the chest and legs in UO has 100% lower requirements mod on it. Which means that the platemail has been magically altered to be extremely light, yet still durable enough to withstand blows.

Hard to wrap our minds around it, yeah. But it's no more viable than recalling from one location to another, or throwing a fireball at someone.
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it viable to wear plate and bone armor? That would be fantastic. But ultimately its going to be abused as well. So it seems to me the best option here would be to take the idea here and keep working with it to try and tweak it a bit more in depth.

Basically there are two sides to this:

On the one hand...Role players will use it to craft the armor most fitting to their character and wear that, thus greatly benefitting us. Deadies can wear bone armor thats good, warriors can wear metal again, mages can wear whatever best fits there character, so on and so forth.

On the other..

a) Mages start wearing full metal armor regularly (Certainly it isn't hard for an entire army to go on down to the local smith and craft up an entire suit of invincible plate mail with absolutely no restrictions. Magic after all)

b) Plate mail and leather armor are both fantastic and meddable and are practically the same now, so we toss role play considerations out the window and wear a hodge podge of metal and leather to get those exact resists and mods we want. *And No it would not be the same as an
'archer suit' *

The idea has great potential for good, and great potential to be abused. Ultimately again I am not entirely against the idea, but I hold that it isn't a magic fix and will create as many problems as it solves. Would it be harder to make some sort of addition that creates bonuses or penalties to more so ballance the system? Sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. We've seen major over hauls before.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why leather shouldn't be as strong or as durable as plate. This is a magic world. Such things can happen.

We roleplay in a fantasy world. A world not of our own. In our world, one would be considered insane to believe that leather offers the same protection as platemail. But we do not roleplay Earth. We roleplay Ultima Online, where leather armor IS as strong as metal armor, and offers the same, if not better protection at times. It's fact. Should it be that way? No. But there's no ignoring it. There exists leather armor that offers better protection than metal armor.

And if this change goes in, I don't understand why everyone thinks all of a sudden every mage and their mother will be in full platemail. It won't happen. Sure, some might find themselves in full plate. Hell, some already do! But why does that even matter? If they feel that it is within their character to wear full plate, then let them. The environment that we roleplay in has become so advanced magically, that anything is possible.

It all comes down to character choice. And I've said it once, and I'll say it again. We would do better, as a community, to worry about our own characters, and not everyone else's characters. Meaning, that if Sally Jo wants her mage to wear full metal armor, so be it. Make fun of her IC if you want. Admire her IC if you want. But it is HER choice to do so. And any reactions of distaste should be IC. And arguments of "metal offers better protection than leather," once again, are true in the real world. Not in Ultima. Not anymore.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this would be an awesome idea and from reading over this thread, I think that most people's arguments are kind of missing the main point. This would change nothing at all as far as how strong suits of armor are, merely what they look like. You would be able to customize more towards what your character would wear and less towards whether or not each piece was medable. This is simply a matter of having more choices for your character, and that is never a bad thing in an RP world. Heck, half of what we do as an RP community happens outside of the confines of the game, we play races not in the game, wield magics that must be RPed out because the spells are not in the game, etc. Anytime something can be changed ingame where more customization is allowed through game mechanics, I'm all for it.

"If you have to explain why it makes RP sense, then odds are it doesn't" -Leshok (or his DM)

[01:48] Deathwisp: well I always rub the fuzzy part before I pull it off
[01:48] Mave: ...what?
[01:49] Deathwisp: you know, the fuzzy... nvm
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your points Mairsil, especially about the 'hodge podge assortment of different types of armor for the best resists' bit... But thing is, people do that already. Basically, this idea is nothing new at all, nothing that isn't already done, it just makes things easier. In fact, if anything, it would cut down on hodge podge random armor suits, because generally when people wear say, a platemail tunic with full leather, its because they 'just can't give up the mods on the platemail tunic'.

With this idea however, you can craft a suit of mage armor platemail to go with it, instead of mix-n'-match style equipping because its just plain impossible to set up a suit of full mage plate to go with it (I was insane enough to do it with samurai platemail, but it took EXTREME luck and a lot of arties that were mage armor already to fill in).
Tai Kwan Leap
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I will throw my two cents worth in ... (by the way when someone offers you a penny for your thoughts, why do you always give your 2 cents worth?)

I personally think that there should be like Cear said .. deeds to buy to change your armor piece into a type you would want to wear.

As stupid as many seem to think the Samurai Helm looks, I would gladly buy a deed to turn my Mace and Shield glasses into a sam helm for Tai.

Same goes for his Heart of the Lion and Royal Leggings of Ember he wears. I would make the chest piece a do, and the non skirt looking leg pc of samurai armor. The same is true of my arms. I would make them Hiro Sode.

However I will say this.

If anyone is spending their time looking at what an rper wears and defining his or her impression by the equipment and not actual in game actions, then you are missing the point.

You know if we spent less time concerned with whether you like the color scheme or armor types of each other and paid more attention to what each are saying, emoting or rping ... I could be crazy, but that might solve some issuses.

I think any crafted armor that is exceptional should be mage armor. Samurai (although we know they are the L33t) should not be the only ones to be able to med in their armor.
Rags
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to post alot, but how is more options for costume custimization BAD for a rp community? Shouldn't this be the type of thing that we want? Who cares if the non-rpers wear mismatched gear? RP guilds will enforce certain standards like they always have (Like Sanctus not allowing any of their characters to have necromancy, etc...) If you don't think the community can handle those "options" your opinion of the community isn't very high.

In my mind more options = good.
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuja, that makes alot of sense, but in part I think this is what bothers me:

Quote:
I agree with your points Mairsil, especially about the 'hodge podge assortment of different types of armor for the best resists' bit... But thing is, people do that already. Basically, this idea is nothing new at all

Maybe I'm taking it wrong, but to me that implies that the system is broken..and instead of fundamentally putting in the effort to really fix the problem, we are breaking it that much more just to even things out because it is easier.

Vaen:

Quote:
There is no reason why leather shouldn't be as strong or as durable as plate. This is a magic world. Such things can happen.

I won't ever disagree with this. However, in my mind there is a great deal of difference between:

"This is a magic world, such things can happen"

And

"This is a magic world, such things happen to every single inhabitant of it."

I won't ever deny its a magic world..Just seems like were throwing a bit too much up to magic. Agreed there are artifacts all over but it shouldn't compeltely devoid our world of normalcy. Even DND has its regular people and its regular armor or weapons.

Quote:
We would do better, as a community, to worry about our own characters, and not everyone else's characters.

I can understand what you are saying here, and I agree. But again I see a difference between not worrying about other people's characters and not worrying about the quality of role play standards in general.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In DnD, it depends on the DM and the setting you use as to how much magic is around in the area. In this specific scenario, Ultima, magic has become rampant to a sickening degree. I don't like it, but it is an unfortunate truth. Especially when Blackrock was so readily available as it was. The most powerful reagent/material in the entire world, and everyone was filling their houses up with it.

As for the quality of roleplay standards in general, I believe we should worry about the quality of their roleplay, and not what they wear. And I stand by this idea 110%. I've met many a good roleplayers who wore stuff that wasn't exactly matching. And I've met many a poor roleplayers who wore stuff that looked excellent. Judging someone's roleplay by their appearance does not place the fault in the person being judged, but the person doing the judging.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Mairsil wrote:
Maybe I'm taking it wrong, but to me that implies that the system is broken..and instead of fundamentally putting in the effort to really fix the problem, we are breaking it that much more just to even things out because it is easier.

Of course its broken. I've come to accept that the path EA constantly takes is not the path to improving things on a large scale. They tinker around with little things here and there. Publishes are few and far between, and in each one you get like, one thing fixed, like checks having commas in them now. If UO continues the trend of 1-2 things fixed like, quarterly, then even if UO is around another ten years, thats like 50 minor things fixed over 10 years. Whoopee.

Point is that this a minor thing that could be majorly good for everyone, not just the roleplay community, but especially the roleplay community.

So again, yes, I do think the system is broken. This is just a very good small fix they can do to please those that still play. I don't put the effort into 'really fix the problem' because I don't think it can be done, and the consequence of that opinion is that I quit UO a few months back and am not returning. Yeah, I said that last time, but I really didn't enjoy my time back at all.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course its broken. I've come to accept that the path EA constantly takes is not the path to improving things on a large scale. They tinker around with little things here and there. Publishes are few and far between, and in each one you get like, one thing fixed, like checks having commas in them now. If UO continues the trend of 1-2 things fixed like, quarterly, then even if UO is around another ten years, thats like 50 minor things fixed over 10 years. Whoopee.

Kuja, I couldn't agree with you more and this is exactly what drove me to quit UO. Its also exactly what kept me from getting back into it when I did the 10-day trial a couple of months back. EA hasn't wanted to put in the effort to truly fixing the game from the ground up for a long time. The game is so old now I don't know if its even possible.

I also agree with Vaen's comments about magic. UO has always been a very magical place, but magic became so common that its not even special anymore.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

These problems would all be solved if they just made Cear and I Seers.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcana wrote:
Kuja, I couldn't agree with you more and this is exactly what drove me to quit UO. Its also exactly what kept me from getting back into it when I did the 10-day trial a couple of months back. EA hasn't wanted to put in the effort to truly fixing the game from the ground up for a long time. The game is so old now I don't know if its even possible.

I also agree with Vaen's comments about magic. UO has always been a very magical place, but magic became so common that its not even special anymore.

I think its definately possible. All the effort they spent on KR should have gone into fixing 2D, and they should have just dropped 3D if it caused them so many problems (And picked up Iris 2, but I digress). That, however, falls under 'no use crying over spilled milk'.

The problem now is that they are attempting to ballet on whatever fine line the EA suits are setting for them. Few of the developers seem to really be putting in an effort to get permission for things, and the rest of them are just too cowed to do anything and are wasting space. Even then, the ones attempting to get permission for things are getting rejected a fair amount of the time, and whenever they do get permission, it seems that they get no permission to continue on because the event they allowed ultimately didn't cause more money in their pockets, which is what they're concerned about.

All that negativity aside, I think the developers should stop playing WoW and show a unified front, get some really good ideas, and make some powerful permission speeches/essays/whatev to the suits and cow THEM into things, then DO IT at 110% for their players. This standard grind of 'fix minor things, run crappy events, do 'zomg handins', work on boring future expansion, shove crappy new client down peoples throats' is not working. At this point they are just looking busy to get a paycheck, not really caring about their game.

If I were a developer at this point with full reign, I don't know what I'd do in regards to the clients. I'd certainly demand more effort to bring 2D up to speed. If KR wants to be 'the client that WoW style gamers will be attracted to" then they need to stop making it a bastard child of 2D and give a fully rotating camera (iris2 style) as well as make the custom addon thingy they jammed in there -WORK- (for those that don't know, KR supposedly has the same support as the WoW client for addons, but it doesn't work well at all, and its so ignored that some Stratics mods tried to cram the entire potential addon making community into a SINGLE sticky thread, ew).

Now, as for the game itself? Time to cut the nonsense on these halfassed events and 'lets lump together all the event rewards for the past year into some rubbish handin with named shirts' and an expansion that nobody knows anything about (stfu, they haven't released anything new im AGES). Something needs done about game balance, something needs done about customer service and policies (I remember one of the live broadcasted townhalls where one of the head GMs was being asked questions and his answers got the entire crowd to laugh at him in the most humiliating way) and a million other things.

I think the short version of what I am trying to say is this: If anyone on the dev team is willing to get their hands dirty, they are severely outnumbered by the ones that have their thumbs up their asses. Any chance that our theoretical one guy on the dev team willing to get his hands dirty (if he/she exists) is crushed by not only the apathy of the rest of the dev team, but the suits. If there is any chance at convincing the suits, they need to band together and DO SOMETHING, not just throw "lets make an interface like WoW!" at the scripters and go back to playing WoW itself while being paid to develop UO.

If my point still isn't across, then maybe my closing argument will move you:

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: