Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Hold Off On Service Pack 3!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kaelthir
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekoth, I'm not doubting the Mac OS's performance, I just really hate the interface. For me it is incredibly anti-intuitive, and the dock bar is bulky and in the way. I prefer having a nice clean desktop to work on with things that don't pop up if I mouseover them. And making the dockbar as small as possible just makes it frustrating for the few features I *do* need it for :/

Oh, and the mouse settings. WHAT THE frack. I can't turn off whatever it is that automatically makes my mouse movement speed change? It's just impossible to customize it to not suck.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekoth speaks the truth.

You can change the size & scaling of the dock and make it auto hide. I don't see what you find so burdensome about it; its almost exactly like the quick launch icons in the Windows task bar. When I saw it, I even though, oh hey, they copied Microsoft lol. You don't need to use the dock if you don't want to; you can go through the applications window instead. You can turn off the magnify effect so the icons don't get bigger if you don't like that.

What clutter? I have exactly one thing visible on my desktop... the Mac hard drive icon (equivalent to "My Computer"), and its really small.

I don't know what your problem with the mouse is, Goona. I have never had a problem customizing the interface to do what I want and never had anything weird going on w/ the mouse. I'm sure there's a setting you can turn off in there... I will have to look at it when I get home. Pretty much with anything on a Mac, you can look under "Preferences" and there will be all your options.

My only gripe about my iMac is that the graphics card is a little underpowered given that you have to run WoW in the monitor's native resolution (20" widescreen).

Hehe, I'm waiting for the thread split & move, as well.
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't use vista, I'm almost 90 percent certain that by 2009 or shortly there-after microsoft will release a new operating system. It has happened before and it will happen again.

I'm running Xp sp2 and it works great.

On a side note though, you are all wrong. Windows is comfortable to use becasue we've all been using it, but it is a terrible, terrible operating system.

We know how to use it and it *usually* works so why bother with anythign else? I understand the mentallity, but it doesn't change the fact that we use it primarily out of convenience.

Mac is great for buisness related tasks or just general net browsing and such but they still don't have the capability that pc's do that would really make the difference. True mac has the benefit of 'just working' which is really, really nice - but that isn't enough of a motivating factor. I have a powerbook G4 laptop with Tiger on it and its pretty cool, I only use it for minor tasks though.

The real operating system is linux, which is h4Rdc0R3!

There is a giant learning curve, yes, but it can do everything mac and windows can do. Its 100 percent cheaper, it is more secure, it has a file system that makes sense, it uses your hardware more efficiently, and it has a giant support community.

Yes it still has plenty of problems, and yes there are thigns it doesn't support 100 percent, but every single distribution gets better. I'm in the process of learning it right now, can't wait to master it Very Happy

But in the end, what can I say. I have a brand new pc with windowsxp I just built i primarily use because of gaming, a mac laptop I use for convenience and random stuff, and a linux machine i frack around with for fun. So I pretty much all the pros and cons.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"Windows 7" was what I have heard for Microsoft's newest OS. However, that was only from some techy at a place I used to work with. Though he did seem pretty up to date.
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

A new OS? I'm still having problems with their latest "easier, useful" OS Vista...

I use those words in quotes very very loosely...
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing PC Users can do that MAC users can't:

**Photo Removed by Moderator, see link below for original image, warning OFFENSIVE language**

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound a bit strange.. but.. I love you Talon

But not as much as I love Maddox
Lord Fong
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't think I have laughed that hard in a month!
Ekoth Ilzaeum
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Talon Skyfire wrote:
There is one thing PC Users can do that MAC users can't:

**Photo Removed by Moderator, see link below for original image, warning OFFENSIVE language**

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut here. (And yes, I can STFU. See?) Razz
Spawn
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

MAC and Vista ftl...
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's kinda funny that the guy in that article sounds exactly as pretentious as he is trying to make Mac owners sound... Really Mac and Microsoft both suck. So we all may as well gloat at one another who own the other.
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray linux Very Happy
Tai Kwan Leap
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just surprised I can get my Commodore Vic 20 to even boot up UO.
Jonathan Strathmore
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Mairsil wrote:
Hooray linux Very Happy

What he said!
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Democrat vs Republican debate, with the random people in the middle screaming for Nader.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: