Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

A resource topic that bothers me as I type this.

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nh'bdy
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:02 am Post subject: A resource topic that bothers me as I type this. Reply with quote

Be there a buoyancy chart for the woods of Ultima?
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

buoyancy? Explain.
Nh'bdy
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to consult my lexicon, verbatim.

Quote:
1 a: the tendency of a body to float or to rise when submerged in a fluid

Basically, which woods from UO float best?
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

So far just bloodwood, however since the pirate expansion planned after SA is very no no speaky now, we dont know much, i hear that the bloodwood boats leave behind a red trail in the water. easy to track

U6Online|| Welcome to Blackrock||Sunrise, Isle of the Avatar||Automatic Roleplay
Skatha
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..... if i were seeking this information, i would beign with Johnsons book about constructions materials......... and compare UO wood to RL wood, color, etc............. it will take a bit of work to find the information you seek, but i am certain it is either there or somewhere in ship construction documents.

try starting here: http://books.google.com/books?id=LwlLAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=buoyancy+of+woods&source=web&ots=_p6_N8HLxr&sig=Q_KQ1bMgT7xC0hkeZtKcMwaq5Xg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result

and of course, we will wait anxiously to see what you manage to work out, in case we need to build rafts in case things get much deeper in RP.

Grins.........
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look up what wood type boats were made out of during medieval times. Since some of the wood we use for building is named after irl wood. Yew, Oak, Ash, etc.
Jonathan Strathmore
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
You can look up what wood type boats were made out of during medieval times. Since some of the wood we use for building is named after irl wood. Yew, Oak, Ash, etc.

Yew and Ash are both strong woods, that are very flexible. They were used primarily in the construction of Bows. Particularly Yew for British Longbows.

Oak was a much harder wood, less susceptible to bending and warping, also much less flexible. It was used for things like Quaterstaves, and I'd assume Boats.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that people primarily used the resource with greatest availabilty in their region to do many things, whether it fit the actual need or not.

Pine is something to consider here, as it bends easily, but was the primary material available to Fins, and Sweeds for home and boat construction, so that is what they used. They also used Pine for axe hafts and shield bases. Though it's not really ideal for either of those uses, I wouldn't tell a Viking his axe was inferior to his face. Wink
Nh'bdy
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, my want to know which woods float good is part of a large story arc...<_< yeeeess.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: