Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Tokuno, The Known History

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book
View previous topic :: View next topic
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:47 am Post subject: Tokuno, The Known History Reply with quote

Some of you may already know it, but after being asked a question about it, I realized I didn't. I did a LOT of digging online to find this information, as I have never played the Ultima games. After years of thinking Tokuno was only thrown in to appease some of the markets for the UO product, I realized I was wrong. While there isn't much information on Tokuno, a.k.a. the Land of the Feudal Lords, there is enough to justify its existence within Ultima Online.

After the defeat of Mondain, three of the four continents seemingly disappeared, leaving only Lord British's realm. The Lands of Danger and Despair were later rediscovered as the Serpent Isle. The Land of the Feudal Lords was transformed into the Tokuno Islands by the cataclysm.

Reference 1

The Lands of the Feudal Lords were one of the original continents of old Sosaria, ruled by the Kings of Rondorlin. The Stranger visited them on his quest to get one of the gems for the time machine. With the defeat of Mondain, Sosaria was thundered apart, and nothing was ever heard again of the Lands of the Feudal Lords.

The Lands of the Feudal Lords were not destroyed after Mondain's defeat, but were reformed into the Tokuno Islands by a cataclysm.

Reference 2

So this is more or less how it went:

The shattering of the Gem of Immortality caused the Land of Feudal Lords (Tokuno) to phase out, or shift, to a different facet. It continued to exist separately from ours, just like Malas, Ilshenar, Heartwood. Somehow, either by a change in magic or stars (The NPC Selcius says that when certain stars or heavenly bodies allign various gates may open or rifts may open), or by some other force (explosion maybe?) Tokuno/Feudal Land was reunited with our Britannia. Heck, maybe it just decided to reappear.

What we know after that, as far as BNN Official UO lore goes, is that the treasures of Tokuno were lost via shipwreck, causing the Empire of Tokuno to post the following:

Quote:

World News :
Imperial Decree
Imperial Press Jun 21 2007 3:03PM

Be it known that on this day the Empire declares a state of readiness throughout the Isles of Tokuno. It is acknowledged that recent events in the kingdom of Britannia and its associated territories cause due concern to the Empress and Her people. In order to ensure the common defense the Empress declares the following:

1. The city of Zento shall be immediately fortified
Guards shall be posted at all points of entry to the city, including the moongate. However, travel to and from the city shall not be hindered at this time.

2. The Imperial Castle shall remain concealed
Travel to the island of the Imperial Seat, save for members of the Court, is restricted.

3. The Imperial Treasury shall be restored
The treasures of the Empire, lost on sunken ships after a raid upon Zento, are critical to the wealth and thus the defense of the Isles. The Imperial Minister of Trade shall continue rewarding those who seek these treasures with various artifacts and gifts of appreciation.

Let it be also known that the Empire has confirmed reports that yet more treasure from the sunken ships has since washed up on the shores of our islands. The monsters of our land appear to be attracted once more to that which rightfully belongs to the Empress, and all are urged to assist in a renewed recovery effort.

As it is spoken so it is written, as it is written so it is law.

What I found interesting, that I'd never realized before, is this:

"2. The Imperial Castle shall remain concealed
Travel to the island of the Imperial Seat, save for members of the Court, is restricted."

That implies another Island that we have yet to see, and the possibility of future stories involving the NPC Empire/royalty.

Thankfully, in the end, the treasures were all safely recovered and turned in. They even accepted the treasures long after they stopped dropping:

Quote:

World News :
Current Event : Imperial Notice
Imperial Notice
Oct 5 2006 6:14PM

The official inspectors of the Empire wish to inform the citizens that new items seem to have been collected by the various beasts of Tokuno. Some of these items appear to have strange properties and could pose a danger. The Empress does wish to thank those who are restoring the royal treasury and hopes the good citizens will continue to collect and turn in the Treasures of Tokuno.

I hope this will be helpful and as interesting to others as it is to me.
Edda
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the info!
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, not to sound Jaded, but I still don't really see that EA had any intention of not just filling a market with Samurai Empires.

There is a definite connection to the fuedal lords, but the expansion SHOULD have been the fuedal lords. Not ninjas, and samurai, and kitsunes and everything Japan.

I would of been happy to see a fuedal lords expansion, but Sam emp just wasn't it in my mind. It was a move to make money off a market, they just found the best way they could to tie it into the story with as little detail as possible.
Davaran Skyfire
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough the Juka are outfitted, and behave, much like feudal lords. That would have been a twist, Ilshenar focusing more heavily on Tera's/Gargs/Blackthorn/Exodus and the Tokuna expansion showcasing the ninja [meer] and Samurai [Juka] Ofcourse, the meer are hardly ninja, but it's an interesting concept.

I do find Tokuna to be the shard I visit least.
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we talked to Leurocian about that at town hall.
He apoligized saying it was a one time marketing stint
and that UO would never go thru something like that again.
aka Samuria Empire for japs, aka Malas as a facet of borg cubes.
Tho they did successfully tie it into UO it failed. It became a massive
market push for the already dominate asian crowd that plays ultima online
(unfair, as they already have everything we dont) and remains unfinished and
will more than likley not receive attention again(aka ceins interesting find regarding
the castle. I told el dev bro that the feudal lords intro duction should have been tied to
the world of Pagan, and been largley fel ruleset. I always though of pagan as the land of the
feudal lords when playing it.---------------------------------------____-----------------------------------made it.

U6Online|| Welcome to Blackrock||Sunrise, Isle of the Avatar||Automatic Roleplay
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew at least 3 of you fellows would chime in. Laughing This post wasn't really to debate marketing schemes done by EA as much as it was to help other people who DO RP as a Tokunese or in Tokuno to understand some background of the place. It may have just been a profit to EA, but it doesn't have to remain that way to us roleplayers.

Cear, I know you've played the game Ultima. If you could please post some information in this thread about the Lands of the Feudal Lords it would be very much appreciated. Things such as maybe how the NPCS acted, or descriptions, or anything else that may help to give RPers of these chars something to build onto.

Let's focus and be constructive here, I'd rather my topic didn't become a debate on the motives of EA.
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
I knew at least 3 of you fellows would chime in. Laughing This post wasn't really to debate marketing schemes done by EA as much as it was to help other people who DO RP as a Tokunese or in Tokuno to understand some background of the place. It may have just been a profit to EA, but it doesn't have to remain that way to us roleplayers.

Cear, I know you've played the game Ultima. If you could please post some information in this thread about the Lands of the Feudal Lords it would be very much appreciated. Things such as maybe how the NPCS acted, or descriptions, or anything else that may help to give RPers of these chars something to build onto.

Let's focus and be constructive here, I'd rather my topic didn't become a debate on the motives of EA.

Oh it was definatly a most excellent find and documentation on your part that must not go unsaid.
Especially the part about the castle. We all know i diddnt like SE but as it stands said and done, it could use more attention
especially inregards to that castle.

Now if you mean the world of pagan, as you never actually go to the land of the feudal lords(or its never called that anyway)
Its pretty much a world ruled in totalitarianism and violence. People run different regions and enforece law to the fullest extent/extreem.
The first thing you witness when you get to the world of pagan i a townsmen being beheaded at the order of the reigons ruler.
There was also the forced worshiping of the 4 titans / gods.

U6Online|| Welcome to Blackrock||Sunrise, Isle of the Avatar||Automatic Roleplay
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks! Can you give us any information about those gods?
Davaran Skyfire
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithos - Necromantic Followers [pagan necro ftw]
Pyros - sorcerers [we have that arty 11 staff from Magencia, proof they exist!]
Stratos - um, Cear will known.
And Hydros - called themselves tempests.

There was a fifth magic too..all I can really remember was how awesome it was to do the Necromancy with Litho's chick and the fun and intrigue of Pyros' people.
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The fith was you when you became the Titan of Ether.

Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dav, the followers of Stratos were Mircal workers called theurgists, they had devine powers given to them thru Stratos.
Each of the Titans were Elemental, Earth, Water, Fire, and Air. At the end of the Game the avatar becomes Captian Planet/ Milla Jovovich in Nicolas Coquard's "The Fith Element"

Hermoine66
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is interesting rp wise story i didnt know the history on Tokuno cities. So thanks for the information.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: