Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

I'm so bad at this

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book
View previous topic :: View next topic
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:29 pm Post subject: I'm so bad at this Reply with quote

So, I made a new character for stuff. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing, but I'm still pretty terrible. I do know the basics and I'm sure I'll get it over time, but all of this stuff that's been out for 5 years and is old hat to some people is confusing to me.

Anyways! I need some random advice on a bunch of stuff.

I like mage-y sorts of chars, so I was planning on making one of those. I want to be decent at both PvP and PvM(E is so much better than M, but we'll go with this), and also have some sort of RP thing going on. Saying that, I'm looking at these skills so far:

Magery
Spellweaving
Mysticism
Meditation
Evaluate Intelligence
Imbuing

My account is only 46 months, so 715 skill cap at the moment. I'm not even really sure how Imbuing works yet, but it sounds neat and I read some stuff about it, or Focus, being useful for Mysticism? I'm not sure if anything helps Spellweaving or not; I forgot to check. And I realize Inscription isn't really necessary, but it's part of my RP thing, so I'm not going to get rid of that.

I'm guessing maybe I should just put Imbuing on my crafter person? I've got his Tailoring on a soulstone at the moment, so he's got a spare 100ish skill points. Another possibility is putting Resist Spells on a soulstone and swapping it in and out with something else depending on what I'm doing, but I just really like Resist Spells so I'm reluctant to do this.

Also, stats, I have no idea.

And, finally, something totally different, but do a lot of people RP as elves while not actually being the race of "elf?" Because, really, I intended on making an elf, but the hairstyles made me sad and the fact that every elf I tried to make looked like a goofy drow sort of ruined it for me. I went with human instead.

Umm..... I'll think of more stuff I'm bad at and ask it soon.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap inscription.

Do something like this:

120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
120 mysticism
120 focus
120 spellweaving

Use a Mage Weapon -20 (or a staff of the magi for -0) for your melee defensive skills.

Mysticism is fun, but it needs some tweaking (which it is getting).
You'll need a bit of mana regen on your suit (around 14) if you want to avoid mana problems.
Few people say they are elves without being elves, but it does happen. A lot of people who are half-elves are human.

Put imbuing on a crafter. Imbuing is worthless on humans/elves, as gargoyles get an inherit bonus to it on success chances.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You're totally ruining my RP.

But I suppose I could do Inscription and put it on a soulstone for use when I need it, since the times when I was going to use it are not times when I'd be doing much of anything else. Or I could always just have it on another character and figure out a different way to do what I wanted with it.

As far as gargoyles goes, is there a way to become one? I think there was a quest to become an elf, but I don't remember. Wasn't sure if the same applied for gargoyles. Also, can gargoyles ride mounts? I guess turning my crafter into a gargoyle could work, but he's my tamer, too, and not being able to ride my cool mounts would be sort of sad.
Ariana Lenoir
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, you can be decent at PvE and PvP even with inscription and a mage template. What you have to genuinely ask yourself is do I need to be the 'best' or just have the ability to make a difference? What is more important to me, staying true to my rp or having a bad ass character? Would my character even need to be awesome in either?

Ariana's template with her current suit

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Medi
120 Resist
GM Hiding
GM Focus
80 Stealth

She can compete in champion spawns, high-end PVE and I do alright at pvp when needed (even though I suck at playing a mage in pvp). Is she the best? Heck no, but she can make a difference in a battle and on hunts. She's useful. Ariana dislikes fighting (she considers it primitive) and would much rather find other methods of 'winning' than having to get her own hands dirty. So rp wise it makes sense that she isn't awesome at it. Honestly, she used to have GM inscription and 120 focus. I changed it out for resist because it was annoying to get poisoned and para'd, but before she did okay even with it.

Cal's advice is awesome and that is a great template. However, (imho) don't sacrifice your character's rp for awesomeness. If you enjoy PvE or PvP, than roll a character devoted to that and generate a history that encompasses that. You don't have to compromise your current character. In the end its your choice, I just wanted to speak up because sometimes you have to figure out what's important to you and what you're flexible on.
takeda
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal Hurst wrote:
Scrap inscription.

Do something like this:

120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
120 mysticism
120 focus
120 spellweaving

Use a Mage Weapon -20 (or a staff of the magi for -0) for your melee defensive skills.

Mysticism is fun, but it needs some tweaking (which it is getting).
You'll need a bit of mana regen on your suit (around 14) if you want to avoid mana problems.
Few people say they are elves without being elves, but it does happen. A lot of people who are half-elves are human.

Put imbuing on a crafter. Imbuing is worthless on humans/elves, as gargoyles get an inherit bonus to it on success chances.

Why do you use focus over meditation? Just wondering I always hear meditation on any mage template over focus...
D'thal Morlith
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus or Imbuing will augment Mysticism in the same way that Evaluating Intelligence augments Magery.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually missed the line about not getting rid of inscription.

If you MUST have inscription.... go something like this:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Myst
120 Focus
100 Inscription

Spellweaving is a weak link. You can still use the two most used spells as an elf OR a human, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, but elves get a base 30 skill in spellweaving, no?).

If you go elf, put the remaining points in Meditation.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I realized I don't necessarily need inscription. It was only to make one minor thing slightly easier, but after thinking on it, it's not really that much easier.

I'll probably go with Ken's first suggestion, as it seems sound. I don't really expect to power game my skills up or anything, just work them casually, so I think if I do 7x GM stuff with Meditation in there and then lower it slowly as I get gear/power scrolls, I should be good. I hope.

And, just curious, but can I actively meditate as a human with the inherent 20 skill points? I'm guessing possibly, but not very well, and it wouldn't do much, but not sure. They didn't by chance add in an active focusing option? >.>

What's the gargoyle imbuing thing, too? Is that like.. if you have an 80% chance, you now have an 85% chance, or is it like.. if you imbued something for 18 LRC, it's bumped up to 20 LRC?
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote

80->85% chance. Very good for not wasting resources.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a few more questions!

Imbuing, I've been killing stuff a little, like very rarely, but I've gotten a bunch of materials and I'm sure I'll get more. I figure I'll make a crappy LRC suit for my new char and sort of relearn some stuff through that. That's not really the question, though.

I was probably going to imbue a set of basic leather armor. Or something neater looking, that's still leather-ish, since I don't know what my options are yet(haven't really checked). Anyways, I think I get like 500 points for imbuing to play around with if it's just regular exceptional leather armor? How's this work with special leathers, like barbed, or whatnot(does that use up some of the 'points'?). Can I enhance imbued stuff with barbed afterwards and get around that, if so? The imbuing page on Stratics isn't really that helpful when I glanced at it and the craftsman's forums sort of confuse me because they talk about stuff I have no idea about.

Also, I got a quest in Ter Mur to kill some raptors. So I get on my smith/tamer dude and I go to kill raptors. I figure a simple raptor should be easy to kill with a nightmare or something. It's just a raptor. So I go down to kill them, and I die a terrible death because like 5 of them pop out after one notices me from a million screens away. And then the one time when I manage to get them to attack my nightmare before me, and I'm killing them great, vetting my pet, etc, and a trapdoor spider pops up out of no where and annihilates me.

Does anyone else think this is really dumb? I guess it'd help if I wore some better armor, and my char was uh.. not a crafter/tamer, but still. They're just raptors.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Those raptors are tricky. Do you remember the part in Jurassic Park where the guy is speculating about his theory on how raptors hunt? And then in the movie it turns out his theory is correct? Well his theory applies to UO, also. If you see one raptor, you have like a 95% probability it's a decoy and 2-4 are waiting to ambush you. If the fight takes too long or it wanders from it's start area, it seems to de-spawn the other raptors. They respawn though if you re engage the decoy raptor. There's a better place to hunt raptors without spiders- west of the tomb of kings area, through a small pass. You will see cute little innocent lizards with wings on your way.

Trapdoor spiders are a huge pain in the butt. Don't use energy attacks on them, fire is best.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: