Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Do you have an ab'Arawn character?

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book
View previous topic :: View next topic
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:31 pm Post subject: Do you have an ab'Arawn character? Reply with quote

While at first I really would have loved to say "no one is allowed to RP an ab'Arawn without my permission" I do realize that at this point, it's not realistic or even fair, and actually childish to say. The various family members have had children beyond my control IC or OOC. It is at the point where I don't even know all the ab'Arawns that are in play in game, and that itself is both remarkable and discourteous to me, as the creator of the bloodline.

Now, all that aside, there actually ARE RULES if you want to RP an ab'Arawn. Like it or not, the family line has cursed/charmed blood, and if you have an ab'Arawn character, you are expected to adhere to this established lore that I created nearly a decade ago. Doing otherwise will be considered godmoding.

I am posting this for OOC reference in order to see the family line and my creation RPed properly and to offer those of you who do play an ab'Arawn the opportunity to enrich your character IC. The things I am going to post here will affect both OOC and IC things, such as births or inherited talents, maybe even looks. There are various aspects to the family line that can greatly enhance your character's RP if you choose to take advantage of them.

Established ab'Arawn lore:

1. There is a mystical abnormality of the blood that causes ONLY FEMALE CHILDREN to be born. The only way a male ab'Arawn may be born is if he is the brother to a fraternal twin sister. An example of this is Myrddin ab'Arawn, he was a fraternal twin.

2. The family is descended of a druid line, and it is a female priestess that would be born every generation. If the girl child is of good nature, she WILL be visited by her spirit ancestor on the event of her 16th birthday. This visit will take place either in her dreams or while awake.

If the girl child is of an evil or corrupt nature, she will either be visited and rejected, with no gift given, or simply not even visited at all. The child is shunned by nature.

As I am the only person currently playing an ancestral ab'Arawn spirit, if you have a benevolent ab'Arawn coming of age, feel free to contact me for this visit. I am more than happy and willing to see the lore I have created progress, either through in game RP or via a post on the forum.

You might be wondering what type of gifts may be given by the spirit. Gifts of nature in the past have ranged from speaking to trees and animals to the innate ability to harness the elements or other things found in nature. It is random, and if you have something special in mind, feel free to discuss it with me so the gift you receive will compliment your character.

3. Inherited ab'Arawn physical traits that you may or may not want to toss onto your character:

*Angular cheekbones - This is a very noticeable trait that doesn't always grace an ab'Arawn. It can skip generations, and be influenced by whatever type race the blood marries/mixes into. Centuries ago, it was possible to tell if you were related to an ab'Arawn simply by looking at your facial features. Over the years, the marrying into other families has lessoned the likeliness that one will be born with this feature, although the mix with drow genetics has revived the chance of being born with it.

*Violet eye color - This was introduced to the bloodline with Ceinwyn's drow father, nearly 3 centuries ago. Being a dominant trait, any children born of ab'Arawn descent have a 50/50 chance of having violet colored eyes. This can be a very striking characteristic, as those with this color eye in the family have a tendency to glow when under extreme emotions, i.e. rage, passion, etc. There is even an ab'Arawn with one blue eye and one purple eye...

*White hair - This was another trait introduced when the drow blood mixed into the line. This has turned out to be a very strong characteristic, as 75% of ab'Arawns have the white hair.

If you play a blood related ab'Arawn (not one by adoption or marriage) the character does have a percentage of drow in them. Think of it as an increased chaos factor. Drow are chaotic by nature, so feel free to play on the drow aspects of your character's blood however you like.

Please note the spelling of ab'Arawn. The "a" in "ab" is always lower case, as the words literally means "of" or "son of". The "a" in Arawn is always capitalized, as it is a first name. The name literally translates in Welsh to "son of Arawn". In old times, it was customary for the child's last name to be the father's first name, prefixed with a connector, such as "son of", or simply "of".

Whew.

Now, all that said, I would like to say that to this day I remain astounded at how the family has grown and spread, and what all has become of it in the past 9 years since I first created it. I can't get through two weeks without hearing a joke about how many ab'Arawns there are, we now rival the Skyfires and M'reals! Like all families, we even have our pariahs and our paragons. Razz

It's been a crazy and interesting ride so far, thanks to those of you who continue to advance my family line. I never could have imagined that when I created the name so long ago that it would expand as it has. I would like to ask that in the future I am given a heads up about any new ab'Arawn characters, simply so I can keep track of how large the family has grown on a personal note. It really does continue to amaze me.

Thanks again!

Oh and additionally, anyone wanting to know more about the origin and history of the family line may feel free to ask me questions. Ceinwyn's backstory has a bit of it, but there is a lot left untold as of yet.

After reading this over, I realize there is a small chance that one may feel that their RP is a bit stifled. Well, I disagree. Everything I have posted above only has potential to enhance your RP. Anyone taking on the name must be willing to be respectful of the lore I have created. It is no different than someone using Tolkien or Salvatore created lore for their character. If you are going to attach the name to your character, you should at least stay true to the RP established.

Last edited by Ceinwyn ab'Arawn on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drayden Calamyr
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how I've started to establish a "Calamyr bloodline" myself, this may be something I should outline as well. Though the children have just started to pop up lately, the lore I've worked on spans years as well.
Thanks for the info Cein Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bailos
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just fantastic to see that your bloodline has been around so long and continues to grow to this day! I am sure it must be a bit frightening for something personal and dear to you to be "running free" in a manner of speaking. I hope those who wear the name continue to live up to the high standards of the name!
Skylocke
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think I may have some old books that have come into my position from members of your now extended family. If you like, I can dig through the library and make copies for you. Let me know!
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played an ab'Arawn for many many years, and I have proudly done so.

One thing I would point out is that while many of these traits indeed should exist, Role play is role play and in this world things are ever changing.

I know in Myrddin's case there is drow in his blood, but his father had white hair too - which made it almost impossible for any other color to show up on his head.

That being said, however, we must never ignore rp and part of what makes a family interesting is the way they branch out and the various changes that occurr.

So to can be said of the traits that come back in one generation or five.

I would simply advise viewing this as a guide of traits that did or still might exist in the family that you might consider adopting should you find yourself in the bloodline.

Do so and RP shall never be stifled.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Mairsil wrote:
I've played an ab'Arawn for many many years, and I have proudly done so.

One thing I would point out is that while many of these traits indeed should exist, Role play is role play and in this world things are ever changing.

I know in Myrddin's case there is drow in his blood, but his father had white hair too - which made it almost impossible for any other color to show up on his head.

That being said, however, we must never ignore rp and part of what makes a family interesting is the way they branch out and the various changes that occurr.

So to can be said of the traits that come back in one generation or five.

I would simply advise viewing this as a guide of traits that did or still might exist in the family that you might consider adopting should you find yourself in the bloodline.

Do so and RP shall never be stifled.

Did you read where I said:

"3. Inherited ab'Arawn physical traits that you may or may not want to toss onto your character:"

And it is located in the adventurer's guidebook.

There are physical traits that will get mixed in and out and return every few generations.

But the druid facts and the blood.. nope. That is static. That should be never changing due to the fact it dates back thousands of years in the bloodline and still hasn't washed out.

I don't consider my post stifling at all. It's my creation and should be RPed how I designed it to. This is part of the package when someone agrees to play an ab'Arawn. You agreed to it years ago when Myrddin was created, and so should those who follow in your wake. If they cannot, maybe they shouldn't be playing an ab'Arawn.
Zeth MelGair
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ceinwynn on certain points about those who create family names.

If you are asked to play a child or a character that will have a family name that has established histories or traits. First off you should feel honored to be invited into that family, Secondly time should be taken to learn the history or traits of that family.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its cool there are so many generations, going back far, and its still a very active family throughout the community. Props to anyone who's successfully played an ab'Arawn, rubbish, I can hardly play my plain shallow characters. dizzysmilie
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 am Post subject: Re: Do you have an ab'Arawn character? Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:

After reading this over, I realize there is a small chance that one may feel that their RP is a bit stifled..

Everything I said was a RESPONSE to this, and me explaining why and how being 'stifled' should not be a problem. I even used the same exact word you did on purpose that this might be clarified.

I never claimed that your post was stifling. Nor did I say that anyone playing an ab'Arawn should ignore or not respect what you have posted here.

IF anything I've said hey here is a good set of guidelines, balance your character creating decisions between these and other RP factors.

As for agreeing to your terms, I certainly agreed to the terms you presented when I made the character, which at the time included things you have not mentioned and did not include some things you have mentioned now. I would even go so far as to say that I've in no way ever ignored these terms in my time as Myrddin ab'Arawn.

Even so, I do not encourage anyone to in any way ignore these guide lines.

There is certainly grand roleplay to be had as an ab'Arawn.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Don't be such a newb, Myrddin. I wasn't referring to you. I said those who follow in your wake. You are the best ab'Arawn, other than me (of course), that I have ever seen.
Nyxanna ab'Arawn
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I have resisted temptation till now. I am an ab'Arawn as you know, with your approval and i follow your guidelines. Been playing her for several years now. As for the one newer ab'Arawn I understand she contacted you in icq from what i hear and we are all good to go.

Glad this is up for people to know.

FYI , Nyxanna is barren has been forever you wont be seeing any mini ab'Arawns from her. Shes to carefree and somewhat childlike at times, a quality I dont want to ever lose on her so for the sake of rp I have dropped her ability to have kids.

Yes I agree Myr is a great ab'Arawn. Nyxy has always struggled with living in the shadow of her elder relatives.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I even included her eye coloring in my post. Thank you for staying true to the established lore.
Kaelthir
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is a good place to post as any. So I'm going to be playing Kale's son, Bananas Ab'arawn. He's, like, from the future or something. He studied under space-Malikhia and became a pyromancer and has glowing orange eyes and instead of hair he has FIRE. So I kinda wanna know about the spirit animal thing, like what sort of animal ???? Im thinking maybe a dragon because hes firy ?????
Edda
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Kael.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: