Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Drawing Lesson #1
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Artists' Canvas
View previous topic :: View next topic
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 am Post subject: Drawing Lesson #1 Reply with quote

Okay, my goal this summer is to teach myself to draw by trial, error, and just drawing a lot. I decided to try my hand at freeform drawing and watercolors (since my daughter seems to have swiped my color pencils), both of which I have near nil experience with. Please forgive the crudeness. I am sure I will get better with time. This image goes along with my most recent story arc in origins.

Kaelthir
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The proportions are pretty good, the baby looks like it has some mass to it and is actually sitting in the hands. It's a good baby drawing. As for stuff that could be improved, it looks like the baby's arm is missing though which is sort of odd looking, and the male hands don't rest around the baby as much as the woman's do (mostly in the thumb, actually). The male right arm mysteriously disappears too, I don't get a sense of where his hand went.
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on how to work with your suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to make comment and critique. I think part pf my issue is with the male arm and hand placement is the image I was using as an observational base. Here, I can share that. Also, Dealth suggests that some of what happened is detail got lost because I didn't ink the drawing before scanning. (I was a little smart though, I saved the original pencil and watercolered a copy in case a messed up). Anyone had advise on the best way to ink the pencil so I can give it a go again and see if that helps?

Here's the picture I was using as observation.

I think my next try, after the inking (of a copy heh) I'll try colored pencils. There's a baby foot under the man's arm the the showing makes it meld into the man's arm with the watercolors.We'll see if both helps. Plus I'll take a look at the base pic again. Thanks again for the feedback!
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all for a first attempt ever. Goona's tips are good. The important thing is not to stop.
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile Yeah, I figured it's need more work, which is why I copied the image to do coloration rather than working on the pencil master. That way I can keep making change to improve. I appreciate our artists in residence taking time to help guide me in that. *hugs*
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is the newest inked version. If I can't find my colored pencils I may have to bite the cash bullet and hit the art store. Wondering what's best for inking still, not happy with the inconstant ink release of the pen I was using.

Ciara Devir
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting much better. I noticed you adjusted the finger to thumb size and it looks far better. The baby looks good too. Find some pictures of women with long nails. Truthfully, hands are freaking nasty to try to draw, and you've improved a lot in one drawing.
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, nails, got ya! Smile Thanks for the feedback. The more I learn the better I hope to get. Wink
Ciara Devir
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Here. Hopefully this helps.

I typed in long nails and eeeew. This sst looks about right though. And it's getting better by leaps and bounds. Ca't wait to see the next rendition.
Isk
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You got potential. I think by this day next month you will be making playing cards.
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Isk wrote:
You got potential. I think by this day next month you will be making playing cards.

Surprised Thank you very much!

And thanks for the pics of the nails, Ciana, they really helped I think.

Jonathan Strathmore
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciara Devir wrote:
Truthfully, hands are freaking nasty to try to draw
Hands and Trees are the ONLY things I can draw.

Pictures look great, better every time. Keep it up Very Happy
Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the most recent rendering of this one, and working on something new I hope to give folks a peek of by later tonight. Thanks again for everyone helpful suggestions and patience. Not sure I am totally happy with the colored pencils as a coloration medium... I might try watercolors again later.

Zilvaonar
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my drow baby a little older, more like she is now in the story.

Isk
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good, the head proportions are fairly accurate. All it needs is shading and pupils.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Artists' Canvas All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: