Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Called on the Carpet

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Thraxas
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:41 pm Post subject: Called on the Carpet Reply with quote

Father Balzar was not accustomed to being summoned like a servile peasant. In fact, he was not used to being orded about at all. Having the run of the Abbey had been a thrilling, albeit small, opportunity to exert his authority and he enjoyed it immensely. Now, as he entered the private chambers of Regent Thraxas, he was feeling anything but thrilled, even though he knew precisely beforehand what the interview was to be about.

Sitting at the replica of Lord British's throne at his castle in Britain, was the Regent, dressed from head to foot in the black embroidered robes that clearly proclaimed his vocation as a mage. An aura, imperceptible to the untrained eye, emanated from him and surrounded his person entirely... no doubt magical wards set to thwart any sudden attempts at assassination of any kind. He took note of it.

Thraxas watched him enter and offered him a seat. "You are late, priest," he commented dryly. "Care to explain why? My time is valuable to me and you waste it with delay."

Knowing it best to appease this one, Balzar bowed his head low. "My sincerest apologies, Lord Regent. I had many duties which demand my time. I finally enlisted others to handle them and came as quickly as I could." He then seated himself, placing his folded hands on the table after lowering the cowl of his robe.

Thraxas, who had been writing, put the stylus down and leaned forward. "Do you recall our conversation about the Lady Deminatza?"

Balzar nodded. "You wish to know where she is."

"I am sure you know. My friend Scar has visited me and tells me he is positive you know where she is but simply will not tell him. As a favor to him, I will now ask... but just this once." The steely glint in his eye told the priest he meant business. "Where is she?"

"Forgive me, my liege, but keeping her whereabouts a secret has been vitally necessary to the consummation of the task whereby she is employed. While you may know, I beg you not to tell him nor anyone else."

"Tell me what task it is, and I will tell you whether or not I will keep it from him. He is, after all, her fiance, which of course you know."

"I do and can sympathize with his vexing and painful concern. To be honest, my lord, she may be in one of a dozen different locations. She has felt it necessary to use her healing skills to aid the wounded among those who have been slighted and injured by the warfare which rages throughout the lands and cities... the civil war which apparently has no conclusion in sight. I, myself, do not keep track of her. I cannot and remain at my post at the Abbey."

Thraxas considered his explanation for a moment. "Does she want to keep it a secret from him too, or was this your idea?"

Balzar shook his head. "I had no part of it my lord. She took it upon herself. She asked me to say nothing. She said she would tell her fiance and friends when the time was right. Out of respect for her, I agreed. Lying is not in my nature, so I have had to tell everyone who asks the same thing: she is safe, but I do not know where she is."

"And so now you tell me. Well, it is not good enough. I want you to communicate with her and request she send a letter to me in her handwriting, explaining this in some detail. I will keep it private until she is ready to disclose it to her fiance and friends. I WILL tell him, however, that she is safe and will send word to him when she is ready, and console him if necessary, to assure him the wedding is not off but delayed. You will do this for me, yes?"

"I will do my best to convince her, m'lord. She can be... stubborn... at times."

"Impress upon her YOUR need to have this done, if nothing else. Do I need to explain what I mean by that?"

"No, milord."

"Good. Get to it, then. I want that letter on my desk in two days... no less. Do not try my patience by delaying just to prove you may thwart my wishes, or to annoy me. I am not one given to childish games of that sort."

"No games, milord." Balzar rose from his seat, bowed low and departed. If only everyone knew what I know about you... Regent. One day they shall... and then we will see who has the upper hand!
Deminatza
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

She read and reread the letter from Father Balzar.

Child,

I hope you receive this letter in good spirits, though my news may darken the mood. Thraxas has been asking about you and your whereabouts. I do not trust him, but I have no choice but to follow his orders. He bade me to write and demand your whereabouts. Something does not sit well with me with Thraxas. Did you not mention before, that one of his servants, Darthos, was one of the Elder's chronies? Perhaps, it was Thraxas who sent Darthos as a gift, a sign of good faith. I understand your fiancee works for him as well. Maybe to help the Elder keep tabs on both you and Scar. If any of your friends or Scar know your whereabouts, who knows what may happen. Thraxas has instructed, no, commanded me to tell you to reveal your location. I have done my part, but it is up to you to tell him. I will only say, tread lightly and use caution. Be well my child.

May the Gods always light your path,
Father Balzar

Deminatza turned to the courier. "Would you please stay a moment, I will not take long and I have a missive I must send." The messenger noded and stepped outside to water and feed his horse. She sat at a crude make shift desk, dipped the quill in the inkwell and penned:

Dear Lord Regent,

I only just received the missive from Father Balzar and did not wish to delay to send you my response. I am well and safe. There is no need to worry, though your concern is appreciated. I will try to break away from my task to visit the Academy this e'en tide at the rising of the ninth star in the eastern sky. If you would be so kind as to send word to my betrothed of this information, I would be forever in your debt. It is not safe to send many messengers, for I fear for the safety of those I am tending to.

All My Best,
*~*~Deminatza~*~*

Demi folded the letter and sealed it with a waxed impression of one of the gems of her engagement necklace. She stepped outside and handed it to the messenger.
"Please make haste," she deposited a generous pouch of gold into the man's hand and watched him ride with the utmost urgency.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: