Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Golgotha Restored

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rune Artisem
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:37 am Post subject: Golgotha Restored Reply with quote

Greetings all!

Old timers of Atlantic likely will remember the Order of the Ebon Skull (OES), a guild that was first active from 1997-2003, and then later recreated during the mid-2000s for some time.

OES was one of the major guilds involved in the early role-playing community and a key player in the whole "evil roleplay" scene. At its height, the first iteration of OES had a massive chunk of northern Ice Island (Felucca, of course) that was ran as the player-city of Caina. The central guild building of Caina was a large tower known as Golgotha, which, to my knowledge, was placed in late 1997. It stood until 2004 when the entire city was deactivated due to internal issues within the guild.

Several years ago, I was exploring my old haunts (I was active in the role-playing community from 1998-2003, and was a part of OES for most of that time) and came across the area where Golgotha once stood - I was shocked to see that it was vacant land. I quickly placed a tower there with the hopes of reconstructing Golgotha as a place for old timers like myself as well as to recreate what was a historic, important building for the Atlantic community in UO's early years.

Long story short, my job and family keep me busier than I would like and I have interests all over the place. I have worked on reconstructing Golgotha here and there over the years, as close as possible, only just, finally, finishing this an hour ago. But now it is done, and I would like to invite anyone with an interest in Atlantic's history to check out this link to the past. Please check out the attached pictures.

A few comments here before ending this post:

There are very little available documents for OES that remain online. Two of the most helpful were two pages on Stratics (see below). One is an older page highlighting Caina, and showing the first level of Golgotha. This is dated January 2000 and is what I used to verify the location of the original Golgotha.

The other historical Stratics page I used is not dated, but I believe from either 2002 or 2003 by evidence of some of the decor. Notice the power crystals and granite-colored furniture - if memory serves me correctly, those were items that were introduced by the scenarios from the Lord Blackthorn's Revenge expansion. More importantly, this page provided level-by-level screenshots of Golgotha at this time. The original Golgotha went through several decorative renovations during OES's first iteration, but this is the only source that I could find that had a complete level-by-level shot of the tower from any given point in time - pictures of earlier decorative renovations of the entire tower simply weren't available (and trust me, I looked and talked to former guild members to see if anyone still had anything) or might not even exist anymore.

Finally, there are a very few minor "modern" additions I have made to the tower myself. One is the inclusion of a bulletin board on the first level for former guild members to leave their memories of OES and Caina. Another is a statue of the guild's founder, Azalin, on the third level (Azalin was not just a key player in OES, but the entire Atlantic RP community for over seven years). I also placed a recall rune to Charnel Hill (an area near Umbra) which is where the second iteration of OES was centered, to link the two together. While these were not present in the original Golgotha, I nonetheless feel that their inclusion compliments the rebuilt Golgotha as a historical reconstruction in a positive way.

The historical Stratics links are:

https://uo.stratics.com/shard/Atlantic/al_Caina.shtml

https://uo.stratics.com/homes/famous/houses/golgotha.shtml

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks awesome. Memories....
Aerilyn
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days before you posted this, on July 20th, I bought a black onyx skull carving to put in my Ultima trinket pouch as the reminder for my ARPC days. It's in there with a U4 ankh, a U5 codex coin, a U6 moonstone, and a UO cloth map. I pull this out and go through it when I really, really miss the early 2000's. Pretty awesome coincidence that you were finishing up the final touches on Golgotha while someone else was out in the world seeking their own Ebon Skull.

Thank you for sharing this, Rune. It can get really lonely sometimes, remembering everything we did here, but knowing there's nobody in our real lives who can understand. Like aging veterans of a forgotten war, knowing others are out there who survived the same battles and shared the victories, but no idea how many remain or whether they still remember.

Good to see you're alive, too, Ceinwyn.

I wonder how many of us are left?

I can be reached at:

Discord: Kalinex & Raistlin804
Steam: Kasera / 33841041
Email: TheRomanFox @ gmail.com

Still above ground as of March 2024.
Rune Artisem
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not many of us left, Aerilyn, but enough.

Dryzzid currently controls the OES guild. There's a bunch of old timers on there that play here and there from both iterations of the guild. I wouldn't call it organized or active, but you will once in awhile see someone with the OES tag around Umbra.

Speaking of Dryzzid, he recently gave me the OES guildstone to put in Golgotha, making this reconstruction even more authentic. Halister had it for years before passing it to him - many thanks to the both of them for keeping this thing alive and out of the hands of rares dealers.

Molly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Looks great!
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Keaira
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me incredibly happy and sad all in a moment!
Amazing to see it again - and a little longing for all those times past!
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Kea! Glad to see you're still lurking. Hello from Oblivion! Hope everything is well with you.
Dryzzid#5091 | 74503058

Last edited by Dryzzid on Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Rune Artisem
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Keaira wrote:
This made me incredibly happy and sad all in a moment!
Amazing to see it again - and a little longing for all those times past!

You should come visit it sometime - UO now has a free to play service so you should be able to access your old account at no charge.

Hope you are doing well, Keaira! It's been way too long! Smile
Isil Narmolanya
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Who summoned me?
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It was I. I have summoned a wild Isil!
Dryzzid#5091 | 74503058
Merci d'Rue
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:10 am Post subject: Very Cool! Reply with quote

Pokes her head in...
awesome!
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: