Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Elven Standards (Rough Draft)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Nazralte, and I don't think that either Kotare or I are suggesting that ELF change anything at all about what they are doing. I think that the guidelines I wrote and ELF's guidelines are not mutually exclusive. Mine = generic elf for UO; ELF = specific instance of a culture of elves in UO. So we create a general guide for new players wishing to be elves in this community, and if they decide to join ELF or another elven guild their basic character will fit in and they can then customize their personality traits to fit with their specific guild.

By way of an overly simplistic analogy- think of this as like a description of trees. The generic guide (mine) says that all trees have bark and leaves and roots. A guild-specific guide might say that all trees in their guild have red leaves and silver bark.
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcana, Very good job on describing some drow guidelines.
Again..I know that drw is not even close to many of them..but they are very accurate and drw is about to have alot of major changes so we will see..

One thing I would change about your wording is that females are not neccessarily larger and stronger, but more powerful because just about all of them are preistesses of lolth and have lolth-given powers as long as they stay in her favor.

Other then that there might be some small thigns to add but overall you did a good job.
Molly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcana I could not have said it better myself. Thank you very much.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Here are the drow guidelines again, edited to incorporate Mairsil's comments

DROW

1. Like their surface cousins, drow are also beautiful and elegant creatures. Their subterranean cities are filled with many works of powerful magic, great wonder and beauty. Drow have black skin and white hair. They do not have facial hair. They can see prefectly well in complete darkness, and their eyes will appear with a red (or rarely lavender) glow when they use this ability.

2. All drow are religious. Their society is built around the worship of their chief goddess, Lolth. Drow society is structured around Houses, each lead by a matriarch and her daughters. All noble drow females are raised to be priestesses as Lolth typically grants clerical powers only to females. All noble drow males are raised to be either warriors or mages.

3. Drow society is matriarchal. Drow females in the favor of Lolth are more powerful than males and consider themselves to be vastly superior to drow males. The exception to this are mercenary groups, which are often composed of houseless male drow. Mercenary groups are tolerated by ranking female drow because of their usefulness in warfare. Mercenary groups may tolerate the presence of non-drow in their ranks.

4. All non-drow are considered to be upon the same level as animals. Drow will only make alliances with non-drow if they see an advantage to themselves.

5. Drow do not think of themselves as evil. In fact, there are rigid codes of behavior and status among the drow. Drow ethics, such as they are, simply do not apply to non-drow.

6. Assassination and murder (as long as one isn't caught) is a common means of advancement in drow society.
Tarothin Armunn
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcana wrote:

2. All drow are religious. Their society is built around the worship of their chief goddess, Lolth. Drow society is structured around Houses, each lead by a matriarch and her daughters. All noble drow females are raised to be priestesses as Lolth typically grants clerical powers only to females. All noble drow males are raised to be either warriors or mages.

3. Drow society is matriarchal. Drow females in the favor of Lolth are more powerful than males and consider themselves to be vastly superior to drow males. The exception to this are mercenary groups, which are often composed of houseless male drow. Mercenary groups are tolerated by ranking female drow because of their usefulness in warfare. Mercenary groups may tolerate the presence of non-drow in their ranks.

I just have to mention somethin on these two points. One on point two, Not all of their societies are based on Lloth. That is mainly Mezzonbatanea (or however you spell that city name). Other city's especially now with an uprising in male's power have been serving other dow gods.

Drow females arnt necessarily more powerful. Gomph, drizzt and jarlaxle to name a few of the more famous male drow domming from that same city are indeed more powerful then most if not all women there, even the head matriarch. They are however very egotistical feminist B***h's that do find themselve to be above all others.

But ok, carry one *smiles* just had to step in to say that since I love the race from forgotton realms.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the war of the spider queen stuff by other authors, but I did base what I wrote on all of R.A. Salvatore's books - particuarly "Homeland".

Now reagarding male vs. female power, I did say "typically". Not every drow character should be the exception to the rule. If everyone wants to act like Drizzit and Jarlaxle with their drow, then I am leaving the shard, lol. Wink Its just an archtype. Individual guilds of course should make this more specific as they choose, to suit their own needs. Same thing as I explained for the elven guidelines.
Tarothin Armunn
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I know just stating. I would have put drizzt's fathers name, but I totally forgot how to spell it so I wont even give it a shot. heh
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

*is definately going to be the next jarlaxl soon* Razz muahaha
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so if no other comments come up about theelves or Drow, I guess I'll go ahead and post the latest standards for them in seperate threads
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: