Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

True Roleplay Community Rules...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Walter
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Beleth but the idea's about jewelry restrictions/armor/weps they suck man... some of us spent hard time and money to get our gear and would like to use it... but if ya'll gonna follow it fine... but don't expect me to duel you or any of that.

[20:28] Inkari: walter=chuck norris

"What do you mean I can't sell castle deeds I create on Ebay?" - GM Darwin circa 1999
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:16 am Post subject: Number three and Thomas... Reply with quote

Number three is perhaps the most important part of this whole plan. It can be regulated and will create a less hostile equipment environment that is much more newbie friendly than the standard 'arms race' protocol of how things can be now. Guilds with everything like D|O are at a SEVERE advantage against lesser equipped guilds due to the fact that all of their membership are decked out with some of the best of the best gear available.

The rules can create the warring environment we seek... a roleplay environment with knights in shining armor, wearing nearly identical pieces as their fellows in their order, instead of the hodge podge patchwork crap we see today.

We CAN and we WILL achieve these results... this is perhaps the best plan I've seen to achieve what we all seek.

That is all.
Ditto Quantum
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me, but I've always been pretty much of a believer in freedom in choice, freedom in play, kind of mind.
RP guidlines. pvp guildlines. I see these as a basic set of rules, still allowing for some modification, and indiviualistic choice in most cases.
It sounds like (to me) what your proposing is hardcore rules allowing for little to no choice.
I won't dispute that these rules would work well for a guild. But a group of different types of guilds I can't see it being enforced very well without a whole lot of problems, whines, and the loss of some very good players.
On a side note....Uniform/garb colors for military/combat types would make things alot less confusing during skirmishes.

Thanks Smile ,
Ody
(Dit)
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:06 am Post subject: Ditto... Reply with quote

Beleth's idea doesn't limit freedom of choice, freedom of play or freedom of mind... all it does is allow for a GREATER freedom; the freedom from the 'arms race' that has developed in UO. No longer will a roleplayer need to spend countless hours saving up for ubergear, or neon whatnots. A roleplayer will be able to compete in combat AND roleplay more often because they will no longer be spending such a great amount of their UO time on activities they may not find enjoyable.

This proposal EXPANDS a player's freedom by freeing them from the item treadmill that UO has become.

Sometimes it takes a few 'strict' rules to give us true freedom.

That is all.
Aeloth Nazduin
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Beleth's idea, And I support it 100% percent.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Zergon Sparks post:

Their are somethings we as a community cannot control like the speed of everyones connection, but their are things already in place that can help slightly with that (like the use of bolas, as running on foot well on dial-up does help instead of using a mount). That does not make things 100% better but as I said their are some things we cannot control.

Armor and weapon restrictions can be put in place to help with community interaction however. I myself am not a poor person ingame and I could probably deck out a character in artifacts if I wanted to but I really don't want too. Why? Because I don't want to dress my character up in multiple neon colors just so I can compete in duels.

Atmosphere is a big part of roleplay, that is why some people get annoyed when brackets are constantly used ingame and that is why guilds should be able to dress their members in uniform and go into battles. That is why guilds should not have to hang in the gauntlet nightly in hopes of getting the ornament of the magician and that is why people should not have to do bods daily in hopes of getting a barbed runic kit.

As a community we are about roleplay, that should come first, it should come before being a good pvper, it should come before farming artifacts in the gauntlet and it should come before doing bods. I will admit that at the moment I'm not a prime example of any of this but I truely want to be able to make a character and roleplay him instead of farming with him.
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to start or fan a fire this is just my humble opinion.
First off I do not own Artifacts, But I do have some enhanced armor and some nice jewelry.
In any situation Any world you wish to create and live in RL or RP, you will have the haves and the have nots. This is why I beleive the the limiting of equipment should not be a big deal.

Now here is another spin on level playing field...
I am on Dial -up should we all play on dial-up to make it fair???
I think not I do not expect anyone to sacrafice there good connections

I guess what i am trying to say is Someone is ALWAYS gonna have a advantage on someone. So lets worry about RP speach and interactions,
rather than the pvp side.
I bet almost all can beat Zergon in a duel. Some of you probably could beat him if you were naked.
I just love to play it is a good way to spend a evening.
Thank you for your time.
Zergon Sparks
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Beleth
1st off sorry i started that new thread on this.

2nd I am not a big fan of neon either.

I do not use brackets for ooc Alarin would flamestrike me if I did.
Honestly I like your proposal I love the idea of guild uniforms. It does add alot to see a guild in all the same color scheme.

Here is my counter proposal on enhanced and runics:
If you have something made or enhanced turn color off when making it.
that would make the whole suit look the same.
Also thigh boots and tunics cover armor color.

Again I am not being critical I will abide by the rules if adopted,I am just throwing up alternatives.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting a constructive reply but honestly turning color off doesn't solve alot of the problems, namley those of fun pvp between rp guilds.

What I proposed would give all rp guilds a level playing ground during wars instead of some guilds having tons of artifacts and others having only half-decent armor and weapons.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we know people can do without artifacts and stuff.
But still, I am still concerned that archer/swordsman/macer/fencer mages are at a SEVERE disadvantage now, because you are trying to more or less make it preaos. You should give that up.

There are some standards that should be acceptable, because there are a lot of things that are not 'extremely gimpy' out there.

*added later, after I thought about the topic some more*

Maybe just certan mods could be disallowed, on weapons. SSI, Hit spells, Leeches, etc. The stuff that makes AOS itembased, not the stuff that makes AOS good, like spell channeling and LRC armor.
Rufus Oryan
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm Well. I've never been very good at pvp...and Was generally excited when I was finally told I was "Alright" or "Not That Bad". The Overall idea of better Roleplaying will be a grand one, forever...it seems like when the combination of PVP(Wars) and roleplaying together come into question...it will always fall into personal interest.

I agreed with most of Beleth's rules, and I am partially undecided on #3. Personally (theres that personal interest) If Rufus encountered a person with Uber Gear, and lost to them, I(The player) wouldnt be bothered by it.
Could the exclusion of these items better the community? Possibly.
But when Persons have dreams and Ideals mapped out for their characters to become the strongest fighter ever or something of that sort...why shouldnt they be able to find the greatest weapon ever? In times of war though...that could become excessive, a Army of Dewdly fighters vs. a Group of So so pvp'ers but Great RP'ers, it would be a massacre. I suppose between the groups involved, limitations could always be placed, considering the situation and how focused on the quality of the battle and rp the two groups are.

Oh, and I love my spell channel stuff...Rufus has Always been a warlock, even back when there was a Warlock template...If I had to go back to casting and re-equipping...I'd kill myself, via honey bees and duck tape...alright...im going off...time to shut up.

Eveyone has their own style and reasoning...if they present either good enough without overall harm to the grand design and purpose...let them do what they do.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two parts to my post.

Part 1:
Personally, I disagree with #3.

If I spend the time and effort to get great items, I want to be able to use them, all encompassing. In my RP, my PvP, my PvM, and my bank sitting.

Does this mean I would use them during guild wars? Yes, I most certainly would. If they suited my character.

Take, for instance, Tyranthraxus. I would wear the Midnight Bracers, and use the Legacy of the Dread Lord on him. Because he is a powerful necromancer, and these items suit him.

PvP will never be balanced, plain and simple. Limiting it will only make people strive to 1) Cheat, and hide their items beneath robes, or 2) Lose interest in the community.

Part 2:
Another thought is... who would institute and govern this? Who would slap wrists when rules are broken? Not the Regency. Not Sanctus. Noone.

So you say "Well alright then! Lets make an organization!!"
Who leads it? Who gets picked to be in it? Who will throw fits when they are left out?

Hell I've already heard people complain about the mods on these brand new boards. People get upset when they think they should be a chief, and they are left as an indian. And that is one of the major problems with our community. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

And what happens when the indians want to become chiefs? They make their nifty little guild with it's generic little title. So now they need indians of their own. They need them quick, or else their nifty little guild will be forgotten. So what happens? They lower standards.

So we get an influx of people who care nothing of RP, who are item based PvPers and AoS mongers. Then the OOC bickering starts.

I realize that I have strayed a bit off topic here... but these are things to consider when you want to implement changes that affect the entire community.

The ideas are admirable, but it is almost delusional to think that they can be added to the community at this time.

My two cents.
Tarothin Armunn
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess to everyones no surprise, I disagree with rule three. One, what does that matter in the first place in RP? For a person to even think on restricting items you have clearly not RP'ed any other roleplaying game. Items in other games as well as this one do make characters different in their abilities and power.

Look, I have two artifacts and good runic armor. I do not though go Hunting. I did awhile ago but I have not gone to doom or hunted on my tamer in months. I have changed some skills around to better survive against mages. So yes, i may be one of those Uber geared characters yet, I put that all into RP storywise through the months and the growing of his power. The rule has no bearing on RP at all.

And as far as PvP goes. I am not sure beleth but seeing that you were away from the game a while and it has changed a lot whether you have pvp'ed lately. Mages have gained a severe upper hand in PvP over dexors. A 2/4 mage would have the upper hand against gm made armor. For one, let us take my red necro mage. He is 2/4 and he wears gm barbed and horned leather armor. On my mage I can take out a hell of a lot of dewd dexxor's in fel. Mages have a severe advantage over anyone that does not have chivarly on top of healing.

Now also this point. Even if there were rules inplace with this. People will abuse it and it will be another thing to complain about in battles. With robes on you can hide tunics, you can also get away with most rings an braclets in hiding them. I play 3d, for I like the graphics better. Yet one of the disadvantages to this is that if a person is wearing gloves, I cannot see what ring or braclet the person is wearing. Whats to stop people from abusing this in battles. I know many people abuse battles in the first place like stacking of stones and such just to win. Whats to stop people if they already in this community have a high abuse of battle in the first place to not have them do it again?

I agree with your first two points, but your last one really has no bearing to be restricted in RP, as well as hold many faults. So, you guys can keep calling me this gimp that has fifty arty's even though I have never had more then two, but I will refuse to agree to this third rule. And for people's information about D|O, only myself and two others even hold an arti, and only a few have "dewdish" armor. And as well as swampy's go. I ride one from time to time as well. I have since pub 16 have had a bonded swamp dragon. Also being a dark knight, and not being able to ride a skeleton horse or nightmare, a shadow swampy better portays the dark knight aspect over a horse or llama or ostard.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Robert wrote:
One thing that would maybe appease ye all, who prefer that rule and also appease me, who is against the rule..

Limit to GM made (or Elder or Legendary as that exceptional is exceptional) items made without runic in "setup battles". I think that is what most aim at, and I think it would be impressive to see that. But keeping at that. No outside influence of what one wears day to day..
I think Stormhaven and Orcs had something like that before AOS.
If ye challenge one to a spontaneous battle, there will be still the risk of the others items being a bit better than yours, I grant that, but those duels are hardly of importance.

I like this idea. Very much. It doesn't impose too much, it doesn't make have to change their play style, and it is completely consensual.
Locke
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:03 pm Post subject: This is too much. Reply with quote

Jesus Christ people...am I the only one that sees this? All anyone cares about is pwning the other people. When did this whole fracking thing turn into factions? I honestly can't believe that more emphasis is being placed on some small rule concerning the PVP aspect while the whole god damn RP community is at an all-time low. Does it really MATTER who wins the fight? What can't you accept about item restrictions? You're going to die a little bit more? Who cares? This is supposed to be about RP, so what if you die EVERY DAMN TIME, it shouldn't matter one bit. It works both ways, don't get me wrong. It really shouldn't matter who uses artifacts and who doesn't, but the sheer amount of arguments stemming from item use in this community warrants that we at least TRY see if restrictions work. Mad
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: