Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Looting.... yes, the taboe on it broken!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Alarin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Loathe as I am to do so, I agree with Kuja. The state of the community at this time would NOT do well with looting in the slightest. I would VERY much oppose this idea until serious work is done on the roleplaying quality (of everyone, TSE included.) No one is perfect. Let's not bring out those imperfections premature, hmmm?
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Kuja. I'd love to be able to have infinite regs supplied courtesy of nonhumans, however, the 'd00l m3 b1+cH' "roleplayers" are far too prevalent in the community to allow such things. I think it was best put once before... other RP'rs are our friends OOC, and looting just promotes ill will. If we are just playing to pwn eachother for mondo loot, we lose the whole reason we were playing to begin with.

Looting would work in a perfect community, however, this isn't a perfect community.

Also, Beleth, stfu about the hunting, thnx.
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personally, the main reason why I joined the RP community was that if I got killed, and I get killed a lot, that I wouldn't have to worry about losing an item.

To me, there's only two ways to do it. Without any insurance ... which means you can lose everything, and I don't see anyone going for this, because as a mage, I cannot afford to replace my jewelry (while it is only 2/4) every time I die.

Or we can do it the way we do it now. No looting means no looting.

For all of you who want to loot, bandages, regs, that kind of thing... can you not get your own things?

Personally, if you allow looting, you will immediately have a problem with someone with sticky fingers, and as a GM, I don't want to have to deal with that.

Yours in service,

Poet
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want to be looted of anything, so I choose no looting.

That's about it, I don't have much of a better reason than that.
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being the 100% total spokesperson for the Brotherhood, but feel that I know the basic opinion of the guild...

We think that looting is a major offense.

It is one of the basic tenets of this community.

Why would you want to change that?

If you want someone using an arti to not use it after killing that person, set up an ooc agreement.

Most of my guild cannot afford to quickly replace an artifact weapon.

I personally would rather not have to worry roleplay wise about a looter.

If the Brotherhood thinks you are looters, we will peace you if we are warred to you, and most likely refuse to war you.

I just honestly don't see the need for actual looting.

Poet
Ditto Quantum
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm opposed to looting personally.
If Looting was ever ok'd by the community, I personally wouldn't do it UNLESS it was to retrieve for a friend, something that was looted from them originally, and even then, only that item. At that point, I think I'd probably end up attacking more people who looted others in general....thus causing a snowball effect, but hey, I like snowballs. OR... to be more realistic, and more honest, now that I think about it....if a friend who couldnt defend themselves very well got looted by the bigger "bullier" person ....I'd probably just get mad and use every opportunity of his/her deaths to keep looting the bully as long as that bully existed. If I was personally looted whether it be an apple or my best whatever... I'd think," wow, that was a dishonorable jerk kinda thing to do", and then just go on with my rp life...same as I do now. Community or not, I'd treat any looter same as I do now I think.
Uhh....did I mention that I was against looting of any kind? hehe

That's just my opinion. Bash me if ya wanna. Won't change how I feel...ok, if you actually bash me I might be black and blue with bruises, so I guess I would feel pain at that point, but it's just pain. *grins*

(hmm...a subject I'm closed-minded about and actually posted on. Usually I keep my opinion to myself if I'm unwilling to compromise or think I'm biased....so, not sure why I replied to this one)
Isilmea
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the no looting is fairly widespread. It's just something we do to encourage people to continue PvP'ing with us. RP'ers just aren't that good at PvP and so they die a lot. If they get looted dry everytime they die pretty soon this cost and irritation of re-equipping will cause them to decline to take part in the battles.

It isn't fun to get looted. And we're all trying to have fun here, right?

Just my view....
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying because one would allow looting everyone has to go about drylooting everyone. I'm just saying that some roleplay situations warrant atleast some form of looting. So at the very least I would give someone the benefit of the doubt and see if it made sence rpwise to loot me before going apeshit over some reagents or bandages lost.

I think rules in a rpguild or in the rpcommunity should serve to enhance roleplaying, not to protect it against twinks. Twinks should just be removed (guilds have a much larger responcability here that some are not living up to)and people who are not yet understanding how to roleplay should be guided with councel and good example.

Rules, like the Virtues Smile, can be abused for those who really want to. Selfcorrection by individuals and guilds could be far more effective to improve roleplaying.

Just my opinion...

Offcourse, by mostly playing characters of good allignment I would never loot. But I'd like to be looted and mutulated upon death by those of less kind nature. It just extrapolates each mans position.

RK
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just as easy to roleplay looting a corpse, and doesn't disturb the body for forensic evaluation purposes.

If you want people to rp they are looting you discuss it with them.

But I disagree that the non-loot agreement limits roleplay.

Poet
Amma
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Looting is a tough, two sided topic. Yes, certain looting would be interesting and a tad more real. BUT at the same time, if looting were allowed I would probably move to all non-war stones. I'm not the best PvPer and I wouldn't want to have to keep on my toes all the time lest some other RPer kill me while hunting in a dungeon and loot me dry.

F0X and I would certainly have a field day if it suddenly became legal to steal as we saw fit from other RPers, I've seen some really tempting sh!t in Hanse-sitter packs before. But do you really want to have to worry about thieves in Trammel?

One of the sole factors that makes all these RPers a community is the trust involved with the war-guild aspect. Legal looting would nullify that binding element at the very least, but more than likely legal looting would backfire right in everyone's face.

On another note, someone shouldn't be forced to roleplay a beggar simply because they don't have the patience to do mindnumbing tasks like goldfarming or running the gauntlet for hours.

Episodes by Toadslick: http://www.geocities.com/jamesthm/
Greyskull
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

looting = bad

'nuff said
Murdoc
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

As many here know I come from a rather large background of fel pvp as a red, I've done it on 4 shards that I can count... Atlantic, Baja, Chesy, and Great Lakes. I've become rather acustom to losing my armor my regs and what not... but back then hehe I did fight with only pants on and hand full of regs. I don't see a problem with looting it could also make some problems worse...
for example the bankbox wars we have the richest get the best items... also the richest would be able to afford insurance... so your battles would consist of 2 types
Those who have good stuff and can afford to insure
Those who use crap stuff and can't afford to insure.

Making the "pvp" and warring worse within the community
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons was to determine who believes the RP community can roleplay.... and who believes it's just Guildwars/Factions/Fellucca with a different twist.....I think the point was proven

If your plans (or experience) has been to do and to see roleplaying then looting would present no problem whatsoever in my opinion

If your plans (or experience) has been to do and to experience roleplaying as Guildwars/Factions/Felucca with a different twist then I would indeed also see big problems with looting

Lets just say that in a roleplaying community worthy of that name looting should have been allowed..unfortunatly we don't have that so let just close the debate Smile

RK
Grishnak da Orc Chief
Honored Member
Honored Member

Location: Hiding in Canada till the taxman leaves, then back to the war.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont steal from my friends.
I only war friends.
Thus, the folks I war, I wouldnt loot.

PKs, twinks, anti-RPers, and generally annoying persons generally get drylooted.
- Polly The Hobbit
Leshok Majere
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

omg! after seeing murdocs sig and avatar i couldn't stop laughing, i still can't, oh god... i forgot the topic...

"Fri Jan 14 20:07:01 2005 [08:45:38] Kuja: ghaahahahahahha...ha..h.a..... NOTHING TO FREAKING DO IN GAME GAH"

Some things never change even after 4 years...
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: