Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

So you have bushido, but you are not a samurai?

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:23 pm Post subject: So you have bushido, but you are not a samurai? Reply with quote

I was thinking over this, and its rather simple. If you want to try out bushido but you don't care for the honor roleplay, you are a:

Weaponsmaster!

Its easy, and simple. Though I would reccomend parry too, because a weaponmaster would be trained in the art of weapon parry, not just the art of litstrikespam Wink
NOT Malorn
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about a name for a lightstrikspamer? And what do you call a person who uses chivalry but isn't a paladin?
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

All Paladins are chivalrous
But not all those who are chivalrous are paladins.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my point.... nevermind. I guess I answered my own question, and you just clarified.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Divination, Toren.

I don't know if the user would be a 'diviner' or a 'divinator' or something.

And, litstrike would fall under weapon mastery.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Diviner is the word.
NOT Malorn
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

Expanding further upon that... Diviner is like, a cleric that doesn't follow a god.

UO doesn't have diety lore, and UO guilds that are a new religion don't tend to last, so, divine magics work.
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Divination is a very broad category. It's merely the act of gaining information by supernatural means. It could be the future - immediate or distant -, the past, knowledge of distant objects, ideas - anything as long as its ascertained through some supernatural agency.

"Necromancy" - communicating with the spirits of the dead - is a form of divination. The Roman "Augur" took the "auspices" - interpreting the will of the gods by analysing the flights of birds. A "haruspex" practiced divination through examinaing the entrails of sacrificed animals, especially the livers of sheep. Forms of extra-sensory perception could also make a person a "diviner", such as clairaudience or clairvoyance.

There are LOTS of supposed means of divination. In RPGs, many of these have been extended to mean any type of magic relating to the agency being used for divination. Thus, "pyromancy" usually means any type of magic using fire as its central element.

Ceromancy: divination by placing melted wax into cold water
Axiomancy: divination by axes
Lithomancy: divination by precious stones
Geomancy: divination by earth (for example, interpreting the way dirt lands when it is tossed upon the ground)
Pyromancy: divination by fire
Nephomancy: divination by clouds

and countless others.

I think your definition of divination might be different from mine. When I refer to the manipulation of supposed "divine" powers, I just call it "divine magic." That's the way D&D handles it, as well, I believe. When I hear "divination" I think of prophets, soothsayers, fortune tellers and clairvoyants. No paladin (or just a guy with chivalry) I've spoken with so far has struck me as any of these.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Random reply from a retired non-paladin with chivalry. UO lore leaves a lot of room for your own imagination on how you want to look at various skills and magical abilities. For example...

Arcana is (was) a ranger. She has chivalry on her template, but I never RPed it as divine powers (if I could "mute" the spell word spam or change it to a custome emote I would).

Enemy of One and Consecrate Weapon, my two favorite chivalry spells I see as the "favored enemy" type of skill that D&D rangers have - i.e., a ranger who specializes in hunting monsters knows their weaknesses.

Cleansing poison, in my RP is like using bandages; rangers know wildernerness/trauma medicine because they are miles from the nearest town much of the time.

Sacred Journey, well, Sosaria is a magical place and pretty much anyone can use a rune in one way or another.

Remove curse I think of as Arcana just being tough and able to shake off mind and body altering magical effects since she also has the resiting spells skill.

Holy light I never used much, but I think of it as nature magic (lightning).

Noble Sacrifice - well, Arcana is a former Sage of Sacrifice with a hero complex, so there ya go.

Dispel Evil I think of as my enemies sensibly fleeing from my almighty hunting prowess. Wink Like a battle shout or something.

Divine fury I think of as more of a martial skill or second wind than a divine-inspired one.

Am I missing skills? Did I make up one? Its been a while...
NOT Malorn
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much just decided Toren is a Blackguard, and that's that.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: