Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Serpent's Hold War (books 1-4)

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Isk
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:27 pm Post subject: Serpent's Hold War (books 1-4) Reply with quote

Isk, a follower of the Humanis teachings, a Magincian, wrote the history of the war between the Allies and the Regency, beginning at the moment hostilities broke out, and believing that it would be a great war, and more worthy of notice than any that preceded it. This belief was not without grounds for both sides took great pain in making sure their side will be the victor in the ordeal. For the events of the past can not be accurately ascertained due to a lack of recorded history, the causes of most wars are left up to the imagination and the propaganda of the victor. Thus in this work the reader will see a close attention to detail, with emphasis on what both sides did before and during the war. The reader will note the appearance of speeches both actual and what would have been said according to the circumstances. A time of great victories and losses, the history of the battle for Serpent’s Hold lies in your hands.

The Regency had two years prior formed itself out of a loose collection of allied guilds and cities and dedicated itself under one leader. Four Regents had come and gone until Huma Dragonbane took the throne: Dayel, Kronos, Azriel and Malicite of which Kronos remained in the loyalists as an ally of Huma and member of the city of Sanctus located on the newly discovered Malas. Of the Regents that preceded him Huma was the most ruthless and difficult to deal with. With the loss of Britain by an earlier military defeat the Regency moved to Serpent’s Hold and set up their base from the fortified island believing that its fortifications would sway others from attack.

On the other end of the power scale the Brotherhood of the Hand and the leader Baeleron were positioned on the island of Jhelom which they had claimed five months earlier. Always a bitter rival of the Regency and the city of Sanctus, the ally of the Regent, the militaristic Brotherhood of the Hand felt threatened by the proximity of the enemy and desired to put an end to it as both Jhelom and Serpent’s Hold are neighbors.

The conflict began not by aggressive actions from the B-H or the Regency, instead it came with the introduction of a new element into world politics. The Drow, Gorhun Morchiant and a handful of followers came to admire the surface world and desired a home to call their own. Because Serpent’s Hold was an admirable position and the relations between the Brotherhood of the Hand and Drow was not an aggressive one they decided to ally and rid themselves of the occupants of Serpent’s Hold. It was thus that Cloudster, a member of the Brotherhood of the Hand sealed an alliance between Jeholm and the Drow. Finding that there was a need for allies the Brotherhood and the Drow ventured to Yew under the Felucca moon and set out to convince the Orcs, who in the past had been enemies of Jhelom, to help them in their attack on Serpent’s Hold.

After presenting to the orcs an empty box which the Drow promised to fill with one million gold, the leader of the Drow spoke as follows:
“Orcs, let it not be said that we are different people. When the need for blood screams in our hearts and the desire for killing envelops us it is not the orcs who we chase but the dogs of the Regency who have lived as kings above the earth while we lived in shadows below it. As both of us are creatures of darkness we should be seen as allies to each other and common enemies of Dragonbane.”
“If you ally with us and join in the attack on the capital of the Regency, the island of Serpent’s Hold, we will be bound in blood eternally and will repay you the favor if ever you are in need for assistance. The call of the warrior must be answered orcs, the orcish tribes must return to their role of aggressor and conqueror. Orcs ally with us!”

Upon the conclusion of the speech the orcish chief Grishnak picked up the empty box and agreed to ally with the Drow under the condition that he would be paid one million gold, making the alliance consist of ORC, DRW and B-H.

It is at this time that Cloudster issued a request from the allies of B-H to join the orcs and Drow in the attack. A letter was sent out to the Daemon Lord Beleth who rejected the offer, a letter was sent to Arlin the mercenary lord who accepted if he were paid and a letter was sent to Magincia where the Humanis pondered the decision. The Humanis were split and one side, consisting of Mark Randerstill as the leader wanted to help his allies in the Brotherhood while the other side consisting of Isk wanted to remain neutral in the matter as the prospect of allying with the Drow was hard to swallow. In the end it was decided in parliament that the Hand of Humanis, the H-H and with it Magincia, would remain out of the conflict and glorify its position of neutrality by making moves towards a favorable position with the Regent as at the time it was believed that the Regency had greater strength than the Allies.

Within the course of a week Khay’Thall, a parliament member of Magincia and devoted Humanis wrote a letter to the Regent stating his desire for diplomatic channels to be opened, the letter went as follows:

Huma
As you know Humanis has chosen to remain neutral in the upcoming wars.
We hope a friendship can grow from this neutrality. In order to better relations with you it would be beneficial for the both of us if you accept a diplomatic envoy from Magincia within seven days. We wish to enter discussions with you so that we may resolve old issues and work on mending the tensions which have separated us. We have been denied by all the Regents before you, do not have us thinking you are as introverted as they were.
Do not deny us this request. We would not react kindly to rejection. Enclosed is a list of our demands and suggestions up for discussion:
-We urge you to recognize Magincia as a Humanis run city free of Regency control.
-We urge you to give Humanis the legal right to teach our belief on Regency lands.
-We urge you publicly announce that Humanis is not a tool of evil.
-Lastly we urge you to open your borders to trade with us.

We await your response.

-Khay’Thall-

To which the Regent responded:

Khay’Thall
I always find it odd how you people expect people to just give you whatever you wish without having to give them some sort of compensation. Your Humanis made very clear your true intentions the last time I was on your island.

I will not recognize Magincia as a Humanis run city, until such time as Humanis is worthy of running such a city.

If I ever catch you teaching your ways on my soil, I will have you thrown in jail, if you resist being jailed, I will have you killed.

I will however admit that Humanis is not a tool of evil, it is just a tool. You my friend are being used constantly and you know it not.

Open up the trade lanes? Khay'Thall my friend you should have looked into being a jester...The trade lanes have never been closed. They will be of course, should you be found performing some act of espionage, or attacking a loyalist. If a Humanis so much as scratches anyone while on my soil, including an elf, they will be locked up, and once again, if they resist, they will be killed.

Do not send me another letter demanding something for nothing, or I may remember how pretty Magincia is and send a garrison to insure it stays that way.

-Huma-

This had caused Magincia to take a negative stance towards the Regency and Huma Dragonbane in particular. After warning the Allies of the dangers which they will face with an attack on Serpent’s Hold the Humanis wished Baeleron the best of luck and made preparations for the worst by fortifying its position and making secret political contact with Sanctus.

Meanwhile rumors on the side of the Alliance cast doubt on Cloudster’s tolerance for Magincia as he had hoped they would join in the war as allies to B-H. Cloudster’s disgust on the matter stemmed from a recent duel he had lost to Beleth and was inflamed by a conversation he overheard in which the elf Isilmea stated Humanis wished to ally with the Regency. The Magincians having heard of this immediately called for a meeting with the Alliance to explain their stance and present all things in the open as all knew that Cloudster held much sway over the Brotherhood of the Hand. In the end it was agreed to remain allies and to not keep secrets from each other.

In the lands of the Regency the word of an invasion on Serpent’s Hold struck hard. Rumors got out of hand and eventually most believed that the Allies would hit two cities at once, Serpent’s Hold and Vesper which was run by a loose confederation of guilds at the time and would have provided only mild resistance without allies. Huma seeing that the situation was out of hand and not willing to seek allies with Sanctus, due to rumor that Sanctus was the power behind the Regency, decided to call upon old friends to help in the upcoming battle and thus the forces of he Regency consisted of: The Britannian Guard, Runic Knights, House of the Gauntlet, Guardians of Sosaria, Clan Moor, Lost Order of Akalabeth, Moonglow Town Council, Knights of Sosaria, Divine Awakening,
Guardians of Vesper, and the Saints of the True Covenant. Feeling confidant in the forces of the Regency Dealthagar, leader of the Divine Awakening was presented a map of Serpent’s Hold and outlined the defenses of the city. Later that day a member of the Divine Awakening and known vampire said the following speech to the Regency Forces:

“The time draws near as war is eminent. Many a good soldier will lose their lives fighting for a cause they believe is justified. Some will charge gallantly with lances drawn and shields held tight, others will stand against the cavalry's might. I see a wounded soldier who will be mortally wounded yet continue to fight on with desperation in his eyes.”

”War is where the unknown become heroes and the villains are forever marked with scorn. The Enemy believes the Regency is weak, decaying and dying. Let them say that to the soldiers who take to the field, let them say that to the mages who will both destroy and mend, let them just try and shout that to the leaders who have stood triumphant against tyranny, oppression and persecution in the past.”

”You will take to the battlefield once more. Though it may seem like it is an ill fated attempt to resist, you have the finest gift given to any man or woman who has ever stood their ground in battles past. You stand there with your right to freedoms that your enemy does not understand. You, are defenders of the virtues and your homes are truly blessed. Fortune shines down upon you my friends. May your blades hit true and the pain be bearable. Strike your foe down with zeal and honor....And when you have won the day, we will stand together on the walls of our cities and shout back to the enemy chants of our victory.”

”It is there that the fallen heroes will be sought and remembered with the greatest of honors. Be brave, be true and most of all, never give up.”

This having been said the Regency made plans to land its defense force in preparation for May the 5th when the attack would come. The Regency fortified the bridges that linked the city together by creating a wall along one side of the bridge thus making a narrow passage way for the enemy should they move towards the Regency’s position which was within the fortifications of the city in front of the baker’s guild and around it. The plan was to keep all the troops in one place so that a single attacking mob could not destroy the scattered defenders as did happen in Britain when Beleth’s army attacked.

Not wanting to spread itself thin the forces of the Regency did not defend the walls instead opting for surveillance to see if the enemy was approaching. When the clock struck 9pm by the eastern star the battle began. The Alliance did not approach the city by means of water but instead opted for an invasion from the dungeon of Fire through various underground corridors that the Drow had constructed prior to the battle.
At first it was the Brotherhood of the Hand that entered the battle meeting the significant Regency force and scattering it as each warrior picked out his or her own target. It was Huma who fired the first shot at the enemy from his bow inspiring his troops.
A witness to the event wrote the following poem in commemoration of the first shot:
“Huma Dragonbane whose arrows shot upon the plane had caused the blood to spill. And what a thrill to see the target of said shot fall down bloodied and still”
As the battle went on it was evident to both sides that neither had the upper hand, the battle had raged for over ten minutes when the orcs approached and entered the fray in a frenzied charge. It was at this time that the Brotherhood felt defeat when five men took down Cloudster and the leadership of Jhelom’s rulers. The Drow had been there as well, fighting along side the orcs and their allies but the publicity which they had gathered due to this war made them prime targets and they were cut down like grain before a scythe. Within forty minutes the Regency stood victorious with a handful of men standing, some among the opposition being so heavily demoralized left their guilds upon their defeat knowing in their hearts that this battle was the best chance they had for victory and instead tasted defeat. This was the first battle of Serpent’s Hold.

The two weeks that followed the battle were generally uneventful in the outside world but a lot of tension was building within the Regency. Molly in an elaborate plot was made into a subject of the Brotherhood of the Hand by a medallion she wore around her neck the elves found this out and made it seem as if Molly was a betrayer to the Regent who dismissed their concerns justly as he had evidence they were trying to undermine his rule. It was on the 18th of May that the Elves withdrew from their loyalist status because of the Molly issue. Later that day Huma Dragonbane retired as Regent after appointing Rufus Oryan as his replacement. The move was controversial and was made under the pretext that his rule had been too rough on him, corruption and inner plots to destroy the Regency had driven Huma to appoint a man with no ambition for self glorification, a man that was believed to be immune to mind games. Thus Rufus was left with the task of reaffirming loyalties and scheduling the defenses of Serpent’s Hold for the next battle which was to be on the 19th.

It was Dealthagar who first left the loyalists behind taking with him his Divine Awakening and promising a civil war. Clan Moor soon expressed feelings of regret at the decision to appoint Rufus as Regent and made plans to pull out of the next battle. On the 18th, the day before the next battle Rufus had a meeting in Serpent’s Hold to which the representatives of GoS, MTC, LOA and Clan Moor attended. At first it was LOA and Moor that questioned the new Regent, Red Wind of Clan Moor made it known then that Moor would not attend the next battle and that it would be better to just give the victory over to the B-H forces, the representative of LOA agreed that the Regency could not win with all the conspiracies being formed in the background. It was the MTC representative Marrat Thayas that returned hope to the struggle for Serpent’s Hold by saying the following quick speech:
“It is evident that there are some among the loyalists that would rather not support Rufus and instead opt for some new candidate, what is clear is that Huma Dragonbane made Rufus the legal Regent by his own volition. To deny Rufus and the armies and your loyalties would be similar to committing treason. To back out of a war during your moment of victory is nothing short of cowardice”
To this Red Wind did not have a reply, it was the entrance of Huma and his affirmation that the battle would be a success that brought Clan Moor back on track for the war as Red Wind gave the full support of his armies at the end of the meeting.

And so it was that the second battle began much like the first at the stroke of 9pm by the eastern star. The forces of light did not put up barricades this time but instead opted to stay together and take out the invaders much like they did the first time, by splitting them up and destroying them by their numerical advantage.

The battle itself was chaotic various reports exaggerated the numbers on both sides, what is clear is that the Regency had superior forces by over five members. Cloudster assumed the form of the man beast and was attacked by a handful of light bringers. Among the Light Bringers it was Krymson Midrath who with his katana took down over five men causing the Brotherhood of the Hand and the orcs that were present to run from his charge in fear for their lives. In the end the significant leaders of the Regency were forced off their mounts with broken bones and injuries but all of the attacking forces were destroyed utterly. About seven loyalists remained alive at the end. The victory was such that the Brotherhood of the Hand and the drow soon got discouraged with making another attack and decided to give up the campaign.

At the end of the battle as time progressed the Regent, Rufus, made a proclamation to hold a regency election. Lilyth Noir was chosen as a runner by Clan Moor, Kotare was chosen to run by Martin Willow and Rufus was running as well. The election date was scheduled for June 3rd.

Before the election each candidate gave a speech as to what he or she will do when elected.
Rufus’ speech was as follows:

“Fair Citizens of Britannia, I come to you bearing words concerning the potential that exists within the Regency and the possibilities that are available if I am chosen as Governor Regent of Britannia. I have presented in the past, many missives of unity amongst the peoples of Britannia, and now while this is a new situation I face, my mission remains the same. In my existence I have never lost sight of the possibility of a great nation can exist through a unified people and a close relationship with their governing body. A question that is often presented is how does one assume that they are fit to rule a people. In this speech I propose this answer to that conundrum; The Regency is built in the shadow of the ruling principles and hierarchical positions that existed during Lord British’s rule. One cannot assume that they are fit to fill the position of Regent, but if they fit the criteria of a person who is ultimately concerned with the welfare of the citizens of Britannia and is chosen by the citizens of Britannia and the respective lands they represent, by view of the people he is fit to rule.”

”In my last public missive, ‘My Offer’, I attempted to reinforce my thoughts and proposals to the people on a more unified Britannia, and a close relationship with the Government of Britannia. I will never cease to stress this mission nor will I end my quest to see a people that stand together and have faith in their government and how its votes, council members, and staff affect them. Close interaction and constant activity by said government and its people will justify the faith the people place in their government. But then in placing that faith, people will no doubt want action to follow, actions regarding themselves and those close to them. I can promise that if I am elected, there will be much activity from the Regency. I can also propose to attempt to keep a close relationship with the People of Britannia through festivities and personal sessions or meetings with people all over the land.”

”One major concern amongst Loyalists is the issue of the Staff of the Regency and those close to the Governor Regent. If elected, candidates for positions of Staff members will be brought before the Grand Parliament for vote. Through this, we may be able to construct a well-rounded staff and place persons in positions that will ultimately produce a good environment for positive activity and production. Hopefully, this will create a unified staff/Loyalists relationship and create an ideal relationship amongst staff members with positive motives and ideas. The staff will also work very closely with the Regent to maintain a good view of all that goes on. Also as the idea of corruption constantly swarms about the heads of us all, I will hope maintain good status and activity, while riding the Regency of corruption and those wishing to harm the structure and welfare of the Government.”

”If elected, I will attempt to strengthen the Military forces within the Britannian guard (=B=). I propose an organized guard, with Generals and Captains in place to further the structure and organization of its respective troops. In relation to this, organization of the combined force of the Britannian Guard and Loyalist soldiers will be something to marvel in terms of defending the lands concerning either force if the proper relationships are instituted between its leaders and Commanders of its military. Divisions of the guard will be in place also to create an increase more proficient outcomes in any area of war related tactics. Chancellor, General(s) and Captain(s) will work in very close proximity to further the possibilities of an organized unit.”

”I plan to create and strengthen trade relations between cities, states, townships, communities and guilds. Trade will no doubt increase the relationship amongst allies of the Regency and those who are not. Great relationships will be established and will further unify the people by creating trust amongst townships and kingdoms. Caravans and shipments of desired or needed resources will be presented and shipped across the land to insure the existence and desired relationship amongst territories. In time, trade regulations and perimeters will be put in place through a well thought out trade agreement pact with those willing to be involved”

“I ensure and promise that the Regency and Loyalists guilds will work closely together to secure the existence of light and virtue in the Realm of Sosaria. Smiting evils is something many seek, but one must define evil. Evil is indeed a treat, but it is darkness and those that wish to harm and falter the welfare and best interest of beings that exist within the realm. I ask that all those in favor of what is good and right ally to protect the well being of the people and constantly seek to keep light alive within Britannia. I hope to place the city of Britain under protection of the Regency, for it is an important part of the history and structure of the government that exists.”

”On a personal note though, I hope to continue to propose missives of unity and peace to the people of Britannia and even the occasional missive to those within the Regency hoping to increase their interaction and aid them in knowing that their participation counts and their status degree of interaction is noted and complemented. I will continue my study of the virtues to better encourage others to keep faith in them and to better understand the principles that Lord British constantly represented through his leadership and intelligence.”

”My good people, so many possibilities exist, I’d nigh say that those I run against are less honorable, for their concerns are the same as mine overall, The People of Britannia. Tis why I wish them the best of luck and hope that if they are chosen they will continue to keep their intentions honorable and keep good ideals in mind for the people and government. But I ensure you that the things I’ve stated are changes I hope to put into place to strengthen the Regency and maintain a grand government. Relationship with the people, organization and inter-regency strength and relationships will be what will create a new era for the Regency and maintain good in the hearts of the Citizens of Britannia.”

Kotare made a speech as well to mark the start of his campaign and it went as follows:

“Greetings my fellow citizens. As a nominee for Governor-Regent, I would first like to congratulate both my opponents, Rufus and Lilyth, on their nominations. I will have a hard time with both these fine candidates running against me. Well, I'm not one for beating around the bush, so hear it goes.... If I am Elected, I will work hard to accomplish the following:

”1)My first priority is to reclaim Britian. It is the city in which our long departed Lord British clamed as his capitol and that is where the 1st Governor-Regent took office. I feel it is a city of major importance for the Regency and reclaiming it would not only boost the morale of those within the Regency, it will also show that the Regency is still a major power to contend with.”

”2) The next step would be to Boost morale within the ranks of the loyalist community. In the past I have shown you that I can inspire you. I have also shown you that I would stand by you in the most dire of times. Now let me show you that I can guide you to a better tomorrow.”

”3) If I am elected as your new Regent, I would strive to increase the number of active soldiers within the ranks of our military. In doing so, I would only ask that each loyalist guild to send one of their warriors for a short term of service(length of service would be determined by the Grand Parliament). In doing so, the loyalist will then have the protection of the said army at their disposal. The role this military force will have is to serve and protect Regency interests in all of Britania. This is meant to bolster =B='s Ranks to a decent fighting level.”

”4) I would also like to form a council to act as staff to the Governor-Regent. Each council member will head one of the following positions: Defense Minister, Public Relations Minister, Foriegn Affairs Minister and Finance Minister. The purpose of the Council is to give advice to the Governor-Regent on current affairs of State and to make suggestions based upon knowledgeable information collected.”

”These positions will be chosen by the Regent, but must be approved by the Grand Parliament. These positions can not and will not replace the Grand Parliament, nor will they handle the duties of such a law making body. These are my intentions. These are our goals. Together, we will build tomorrow with the foundations of today. Thank you for your support.”

Lilyth Noir made a speech as well but it could not be recorded. It was mainly about how the Regency requires leadership and guidance. Needless to say all three candidates acquired quite a following and each believed he or she would win in the end. There was no talk of an internal civil war anymore as the threat was quickly eliminated by quick Regency politics, Dealthagar left behind the Divine Awakening and prepared to see who would become the Regent.

Meanwhile elsewhere the Brotherhood of the Hand broke out of its alliance with Humanis under the grounds that Humanis had not helped in the war effort. The parting happened in Sanctus when Baeleron slandered Mark’s ability to stay true to his alliance with B-H and Mark slandered Baeleron’s alliance with the drow. Both left the Sanctus tavern with a bad taste in their mouth and hate on their minds.

June 3rd came quickly and the candidates for the position of Regent found them selves in the meeting hall of Serpent’s Hold surrounded by loyalists, among the non-loyalists in attendance were the elves. Each answered questions given to them by voting members of the Regency Parliament. Kotare was put on the spot for his past criminal actions towards the city of Yew of which Lilyth Noir was a long associate. Rufus Oryan was most vocal about his desire to put the Regency on a proper footing and dismissed all concerns that he was linked to the Humanis movement. Lilyth Noir made her plans known that she wished to remake the Regency through placing new figures in charge of key positions, to this she added that she would try her best. All stated that they wished to reclaim Britain. In the end the votes were counted and Lilyth Noir won 6 votes to Rufus’ 2 votes and Kotatre’s one vote. The tiny guilds of Yew voted for Lilyth including the insignificantly small LOA, SCT and YEW. The surprise win of Lilyth was a shock to the outside world and soon the Legion of Evil, FYD, declared all out war on the Regency. The Britannian Guard, =B=, lost four members over the votes and basically dissolved itself.

Thus one can see that the history of the battle for Serpent’s Hold is memorable. It had caused a great shift in power within the Regency through the replacement of two Regents, it had shown the world that the Loyalists are a powerful force and it had broken up past alliances. What began as a campaign to destroy Loyalist power ended in defeat for the Brotherhood of the Hand and the Drow allies, but the event had caused an even more shattering blow to the Regency, defeat in battle or not the Loyalists had suffered a conceive blow at the hands of their own Parliament which voted in their own destruction.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: