Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

More Spam ...

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rryn Anyai
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 am Post subject: More Spam ... Reply with quote

these guys with the spam are getting sneaky

Mods check out the posts in this section under :

Requesting a Place in the Guilds Section
poster: Eredposterjo7
shocking movie..

GM access
poster: KrasniyPerec

the first poster also got two of the posts in the "Realm of Umbra" section as well.
Porthos
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Got them and yes they are getting sneaky, thet first one had 6 posts. Thye are perma gone .....for today anyway
Isil Narmolanya
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should buff up the security when it comes to creating accounts. Perhaps a mod or admin should be required to activate new accounts?
Molly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the last hour and a half banning all the user ips for the one named Eredposterjo7. His total post count was in the high 300s. the problem is with this type of spambot is a randomizer ip finder and I found close to 100 ips for that same poster. I may have to resort to your suggestion Isil. This is getting rediculous.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one a lot.

"...and that at least 5 seconds have passed between the form generation and the submission (stopping bots which fully scrape the page and then immediately submit). If one of these conditions is not met, the submit operation is turned into a preview, giving human posters another chance to submit..."

The 'omg altsneaking mod' thing has come up many times. Eliminate the possibility with this one.

"Only an administrator can see the IP from a poster"

This one is pretty interesting. Put 'omgbewbs' and 'wtfp3n15' and all those naughty naughty words on this uber spamfilter so posts can't get through. This one is for if they get past the first one, so keep it in mind if the first one fails. I think it'll work though.

"...When someone tries to post a defined spam word their post will not be entered into the database. Instead they will receive an error message...."

Did you know that bots do more than spam? They view our userlist, harvest every email address visible on the board, then adds it to the pr0n spamlists. Fix it with this one, since you can turn off memberlist view from guests.

"With this MOD admin can decide who gets to view the memberlist. Options include: All, registered users, moderators, admins. Options are settable from the ACP."

If you cannot install these it is time to get a new server and host the forum yourself and update it yourself instead of just pointing your domain to this service. It is very possible since you can export a backup of this forum with the admin CP.

Happy hunting.
Molly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to undo what I did this morning but I have used one of Mith's links and will be doing the other three as soon as I can figure out how to use them. The one was an easy fix and the other three are a bit more involved. Hopefully that will stave off the spambot invasion until I can get the others in place. Sorry for the inconvenience if you got banned for a bit today.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
Molly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the first two of the four Mith suggested.

Noone but an administrator can see your IPs now.

The other two are modules and I need some help with them. Hopefully Mave will get back to me about them or he will install them himself for me tomorrow. The spambots are less (less meaning there were only 5 today after I did the fix instead of 25) but are still happening. Even the ones today don't seem to be getting past the email approval stage so that is a good sign. Keep your fingers crossed.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. I'll miss the silly IC replies to them, though..
Porthos
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me. less to delete and ban. If this works I will have another 20-40 min of game time back, woohoo. Heck even if we stop half of them I'd be happy.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know they avoid censor filters with leetspeak style changes and spaces... But the page scrape fix should DEFINATELY get them; Spambots click 'new topic', paste their spam, and hit 'submit' as fast as possible.

If they DO get around it, increase the five seconds more and more till it catches all of them. It is a minor inconvenience to hit submit twice in order to get rid of spambots, and they are too dumb to know to hit submit twice.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The page scrape thing works great, just tested it... Accidentally. Tried to edit a post extremely fast, and it nuked me. Very Happy
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: