Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

On Assassination (long)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dymm Crowley
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:33 am Post subject: On Assassination (long) Reply with quote

On Assassination
PvP has long been a controversial topic in our RP community. There has been conflict over duels, wars, looting, thieving, and any other imaginable form of conflict or competition. Of course then, assassinations is an extremely sensitive case, of which I am sure everyone has different opinions on. I know I will not get everyone’s support in my endeavor, but if I can at least propose my ideas, and then get something started out of them, I will be very satisfied. So, as you read on, please keep in mind that you will need an open mind.

Assassination is an important part of roleplay and should be treated as such. It is more then just killing for money. To the assassin, to the mark, and to the person taking out the contract, there must be more roleplay involved then an assassin popping up, killing, and leaving. It means nothing. To the assassin, it was simply a way to make money, not to roleplay. To the mark, he just gets resed, and continues as normal. To the buyer, the worst: simply a waste of money, in most cases. In the past, assassinations have been handled wrong, or not to their full roleplaying potential. You may blame the guildmasters, and it may be partly on them, but I want you all to forget the past. I want to make assassination a viable form of stimulating roleplay, and not simply a quick kill. If I still have anyone reading this, the following are my proposals.

Post-death Roleplay
The idea of an assassin, as most of you know, is surprise attack. It is the essence of an assassination, which can often not happen without that element of surprise. Keeping this in mind, assassination MUST be without warning. I know many will disagree with this, and say it is against the rules but there is simply no other way around it. I would list the problems with warnings, but they are all pretty obvious, I think.

The kill would not be without roleplay. Yes, the assassination would be a surprise, and there would be no roleplay before it, not on the part of the mark, at least. But, why not roleplay after the kill? Sounds silly to you? I am not talking about the assassin have a conversation with the ghost. What I am talking about is the assassin carving a letter in the ground next to the corpse, or leaving a distinctive item on the body, or taking something from the corpse to prove the kill (Not looting… roleplay). It can be something small like this, to show the act was not random, or even something bigger… Maybe the assassin would check the surrounding area to make sure no one saw him? Try to hide the body? There is a limitless amount of possibilities.

What about after the kill is committed and the mark brought back to life? An investigation would take place, and people wouldn’t automatically say, “He did it. Let’s go to their guildhouse and kill them.” Roleplaying detectives, anyone? Local law enforcement divisions, similar to what Spawn and Sanctus have instituted, could go into forensics and investigation, instead of simply apprehension and execution. There would be a process to figure out who the murderer was. Eventually, maybe the detective would find cycles and similar patterns in one killer? Maybe one killer always stabs in a certain spot, or always leaves a certain item on the corpse? Perhaps he would have to interrogate eyewitnesses to try and get appearance descriptions? There possibilities are limitless.

How would we control the assassin not looting, or making sure the assassin actually roleplayed? I will get to that later in the essay.

The Middleman
A major part of being an assassin is secrecy. Like some vampires, if you are a good assassin, people don’t know that you are an assassin at all. Why, then, have assassin guilds in the past freely advertised their services? In taverns and other public places even? Because there was no central idea of how an assassin should conduct business. In my plan, assassins would never offer their services, reveal their activities, or have to incriminate themselves at all in the public eye. An assassin should have an unrelated cover to hide what he really does (i.e. roleplaying a simple alchemist from Yew in public places). Everyone would know OOC what they do, but IC… It would be hard to figure it out, if done right. How, then, would assassin get jobs? The Middleman.

Assassins need an agent, of sorts, to do their business for them. The middleman is not a killer or an assassin himself. He is simply a businessman. This opens up whole new opportunities for roleplaying classes. An assassin group based on these principals would need several middleman, and good roleplayers to play them. The middleman would meet in secret with the one wanting to place a contract. The buyer would never actually meet the assassin, unless specifically requested for and securely planned. The middleman would set up all the details: payment, success rate, how to prove of the kill, etc. In this way, the secrecy of the assassin’s identity is kept in contact, while giving some roleplay fun to the middleman and the buyer.

The Point
What is the point of hiring an assassin in UO? Really? Nothing, but to make some roleplay, right? If you really wanted someone dead that badly, most people can get their guild together to take them out. They are then brought back to life a few seconds later and everything is normal again. Same thing with assassinations, right? Wrong.

It has been talked about and shot down in other threads, but I think it can work if exclusively limited to assassins. Once assassinated, the mark must miss any non-necessary event. I am not saying we should have people assassinated so they can’t attend a tournament, or something. That is totally missing the point. I think I can best explain it by using an example (these guilds are totally off the top of my mind, and there are no real plots like this):

Mark Randerstill’s and Isilmea’s forces are preparing for battle against one another. Isilmea has secretly planned for the assassination of Isk prior to the battle. Isk is working out in Magincia, in preparation for the battle… An assassin takes this opportunity to fill the contract, an hour or so before the battle. Now, under the current system, the assassin would escape away, Isk would be resurrected and be totally ready for the battle. Humanis would be angered, especially if they knew Isilmea had planned it, BUT it didn’t directly affect the outcome of the battle. What if, instead, Isk was put out of commission and unable to attend the battle to do wounds from the assassin? What if he was feeling sick from the poison and could not attend the battle? What if this formed into a plot? How much more emotion would be poured into the plot now that Mark and the rest of Humanis is outraged. Isk would have to skip out on the battle, but for the better of RP in the end? In the first situation, Humanis may care very little about the assassination. In the second situation, they would try to track down the killer and if possible, try to figure out who he was hired by. What if the assassin lies? If they don’t believe him when he does tell the truth? Can you see what I am getting at? INTRIGUE! Assassinations do not have to be so two-dimensional and boring. They can spark ROLEPLAY!

Another advantage of this is bodyguards. I know many leaders have roleplayed bodyguards. Now, they would actually have more of a job to do. You would want your bodyguards around before a fight to insure your safety and health. Bodyguards would serve a purpose and leaders would want them. This of course, offers more roleplaying class opportunities.

The problem here is that the assassin will often have all power, and no punishment… My next proposition leads into this problem.

The Punishment
An assassin has many means of escape… Stealth is the most obvious example. That or recalling. But, what fun is it if the assassin kills, does a bit of roleplay, then “Kal Ort Por?” No fun at all, is what it is, and some would even say, godmoding. What is there to be done to fix this, then? If the mark could be forced to miss a battle because of an assassin, shouldn’t the assassin have some punishment if caught? And shouldn’t it be possible for him to get caught? Yes.

I propose that after an assassination, the assassin in question MUST remain in the general area/town/island that the assassination was completed in. In my previous example, I used Magincia. If Isk was indeed assassinated on the island of Magincia, the assassin would stay there for a certain period of time, to be determined. An hour, half hour, maybe? He could, of course, use all his abilities to keep from getting caught. The assassin would be stealthing around the city, and using the obscure places, like an assassin should. How would this fit in with roleplay on the part of an assassin? He is looking for an escape route, or watching the scene play out from the shadows, or surveying the area to find any witnesses to the crime, or anything. If the assassin were apprehended within this hour, the assassinated would be able to join in the battle/event. This would make people more willing to try to catch the assassin, not to just let him go and be over with it. This is another opportunity for roleplayed detectives to come and investigate. They could be hired, and even form organized groups. And, then it also leads to…

Bounty hunters. Yes, bounty hunters are quite different then assassins. Assassins are trained to kill. Bounty hunters can kill (though in a much different fashion, usually) or apprehend. They are usually hired to find criminals. Bounty hunter guilds, as an anti-assassin tool? Or, even existing guilds hiring themselves out to deal justice for the mark’s party? (I am thinking of you, Vaen.) What if they had tracking and ways to reveal the assassin? The assassin would then have to use cunning, and sometimes even force. Their stealth abilities would be pushed to the limits and the bounty hunters’ would have a good time trying to find the assassin, not to mention roleplay windows opening between bounty hunters and other guilds. Then, if the bounty hunters find the assassin, what will they do? Will they be forced to kill? Or will they arrest? Will the mark’s guild be upset with their job? So many possibilities.

The Rogue Underground
Finally, to enforce the above rules, a central assassin organization (including middlemen) would need to be formed. I would be more then happy to do this. Yes, it would be a guild, but a very loose guild IC. Assassins normally work alone, and they still would. The guild wouldn’t be so much a guild as it would be simply a way to roleplay the “rogue underground.” It is a network of information based between assassins. The members would never admit to being members. They would never give out the guild secrets. This idea may not be so beneficial to the entire community, but it would be fun for the people in the guild, I think. I have ideas to create secret meanings to certain phrases, describing not-so-legal activities. Would it not be interesting to talk in a sort of code in game? It really adds to the intrigue and puts depth into the roleplay of an assassin. Code names, and codes for who is killing whom when, and code names for certain meeting locations at certain times.

Even though I described the guild as not much of a guild, OOC, it must be very, very strict. As some would call elitist. Accepting members to the guild would be based on many things. Members would need a good background in roleplaying and know the rules like they know themselves. The guild would remain small (assassinations should not be a common occurrence) but would war everyone, for obvious purposes. We would leave guildtitles on, simply so you know what we really are, and will just hope no one points at our “badges.” Though, titles would likely not be “Assassin” or whatever. More along the lines of “Local Blacksmith” or even something in code.

And there are my ideas. I commend anyone that actually read through the whole thing. I anticipate questions, comments, criticisms, flames, or whatever the hell you want to say to this. Feel free to totally disagree with me, add on to my ideas, or whatever. Basically, all I want to do is spark more roleplay in the community, and roleplay of better quality. I want to make assassination a part of roleplay, and not just something that happens once in a while. Again, I thank you for reading, and I hope you read with an open mind. I hope to see some detectives tracking me down in the near future.

Last edited by Dymm Crowley on Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Several times while reading your post, I think I creamed myself.

These rules would be absolutely incredible, and if they were enforced by the GMs, I think that it would create some VERY dynamic roleplay.

Dymm, your ideas are great, and I know it took you one hell of a long time to write that. I will abide by these rules entirely if they seem all right to the other members of the community.

Great job, man.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice work.

*has a sudden urge to make a bounty hunter ;o*
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it sounded extremely good too. The problem comes when no one enforces the rules. If they did, I'd be all for it. I'm still all for it, I just don't think everyone will follow the same rules set forth.
Dymm Crowley
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander the Elf wrote:
I think that it sounded extremely good too. The problem comes when no one enforces the rules. If they did, I'd be all for it. I'm still all for it, I just don't think everyone will follow the same rules set forth.

Well, that is where the idea of the guild comes in. The idea behind making the guild "elitist" would be to easily control it. Of course, there will still be assassins outside the guild, and I can't do much to make them listen to the rules... But, think of it as a union, sorta. If you were going to hire an assassin, would you rather hire the one that you know will follow the rules or the one that will simply kill?
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

While the community is rebuilding is when it's time to add new rules everyone agrees on before everyone gets pissy about them later for no reason besides their own egoes.

This is an extremely well thought out post, and I agree with it.

I really like the idea of an assassin hiding out near the kill... I'm sure a lot of people are used to 'come roleplay' ICQ's to the effect of 'OMG SOMEONE KILLED SOMEONE WE NEED TO GANK THEM COME FAST' to the entire guild. Wouldn't it be exciting if you got an ICQ that said 'someone was assassinated! come quick to do a little detective and tracking RP!'

Yeah. Fresh new ideas? Awesome. Fresh ideas that actually involve PVP that don't suck? Steve1 is a god.

How should this be enforced you ask? How can we trust the assassins following these rules to play fair and not godmode?

I propose this: Steve, make your assassin guild. Simply put, every guildmaster that calls themself a roleplayer can agree on these rules. The only issue is that the marked individual might be logging out - If this issue can be addressed, I'm sure nobody will have one word against this. And on that very same topic, I think that if assassinations went hand in hand with upcoming events, there would be no question.

I also very much like the idea of assassins only doing their business when their target is alone - too many times have I see 'assassinations' where the PK jumps out of stealthing and does his thing with like 700 people watching. That is just dumb.

Once again... Steev, make the guild. You will be pwn at it, and I will help, seeing as my assassin is almost blue.

Before anyone says 'OMG KUJA AS A RED, TWINK TWINK TWINK!'... It was an accident, I was killing people that were griefing the Hostel around new years. Just happened to catch them in fel. Twisted Evil
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great Idea and very well planned out.. very impressive as well I do think this is something that could be fun and add to the RP of the community if its done the way you described you have my support my friend would be nice to see something like this happen.
Isilmea
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done and the one word that stood out in all of this was
INTRIGUE we have so little of that these days.

If you follow up on this let Elf know. My only issues with anything like this is to make sure the person is not afk when it happens or is about to happen.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game Dymm. Kill me in an assassination, i'll stay down for a bit. Anyone feel the need to fill a contract out on Grig? There IS a good chance he is out for your shinies and femmies.

Can't we all just get along? No? Excellent.
Dymm Crowley
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the questions about afk/logging out killings...

I did not specifically mention this topic because I feel it is extremely easily controlled. Any assassin that knows what he is doing and actually wants to get the kill will be stalking the victim in secret for well long enough to know what they are going to be doing, or if they are away from the computer or not. If the mark is standing still for an extended period of time, without talking or anything, the assassin should know to wait. I would much rather miss the contract totally then accidently kill an afk person. As for people that have never played an assassin before, I am sure I could do some kind of class to teach them the basics if they wanted to join the guild. (Of course, they would all already know the RP rules, but maybe wouldn't know assassin etiquette.)
Murdoc
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Dymm.

Now I will comment about Looging off/afdk assassinations.
Stalking the prey is something I always have done, normally I am stealthed so no one can actually see me. I try to establish a pattern.. find the Target when they are the most vulnerable... problem This could take weeks maybe even a month or two. But people are so hurry hurry with the kill it's impossible. Another problem... Kal Ort Por... my target recalls away... how do you stalk them then? That can be VERY difficult.

About penelties for the Assassin...
Local Law Enforcement should do that, Spawn and his Sanctus police force should be on the investigation as soon as they hear about it. Use of the forensic's skill the mark left behind(Murdoc ALWAYs leaves a "M" carved in the thigh of a corpse).

The underground movement...
That is what my entire Rogue Nations idea was about, to unite all the Assassins.

So with that I'd like to invite anyone who wishs to be an assassin or a middleman to contact Myself or Dymm and we can get you set up...

Hey Dymm you rnow my offical Co-GM Smile
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Steve. The idea and concept of Assassin is a great one and combined with your ideas it might be widely accepted as an excellent character type to play and rp.

For some time, I've been preaching this thing about "Back Stabbing". We all do hate and loath OOC back stabbing and people making powerplays left and right, but if people remain openminded and worry moreso about the interesting rp that will arise instead of winning or being the Greatest whatever they are trying to be. Assassinations could revolve around this in game backstabbing thing, both sides should be generally accepting to the idea of them being spontaneously killed, but understanding that the situation is in regards to rp and nothing more. Stayin informed is a major deal and it will cause people to remember that they are doing things that will be read/watched/participated in by other people in the community, so lets keep it interesting. I think people would be suprised at the few things the Regent has done in the shadows...har har...*Poofs*

Still the ideas were good and should be inforced and followed. Also, isnt it possible for a Assassin to act as a normal person and make a kill...hold normal conversation in a tavern, eye their mark a few times, and when the mark leaves they follow all shady and make their move. I suppose thats how I'd do it. Also, I guess they wouldnt necessarily have to hide or run cause anyone is a possible candidate for Murder...or a possible suspect.

Good Post Sir. I may make one of those middle men people...it'd probably be like me irl...heh
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymm's a co-GM? erm... I thought Dymm was starting his own guild with these great ideas Sad
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Steve wouldn't be giving these ideas to the community unless he was starting his own guild with them. At least I'd think so. I think that would be for the best anyways.
Murdoc
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes steve us starting his own guild... i was mistaken, I figured he still planned on bring Dymm back to the $R$ stone. We got it figured out Smile
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: