Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

On Assassination (long)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Savhanna
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always RP'd reprecussions after an assassination lasting well longer than hour. Great well thought out proposal Dymm. The only part I didnt fully agree with was if the assassin is caught then the victim no longer RP's being injured. That makes no RP sense to me. It doesnt change what happens to the victim but it would out who is an assassin, thus making his indentity no longer secret and there should be reprecussions to him.

just my 2 cents.
Dymm Crowley
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Savhanna, the RP behind the mark being able to attend the event could be something like the assassin having to be forced to cure the victim, or help heal him. Or, even, if you wanted to, have it not work and the mark miss the event anyway. My examples are just ideas and it can go in pretty much any direction RP takes it. As for the assassin losing his identity after one mistake, this would make for the assassin to be more careful about what he does. The assassin would think twice about killing someone in a group of people... But, even after following all the procedures he can sometimes be caught. What is there to be done to fix this then? Roleplayed disguises, maybe. I don't know about the rest of the assassins but Dymm is in the thieves' guild for the disguise kit. Even if you catch him, his name might be something like "Jeffrey" and he could have a long blue beard. He'd still have guild title on, so you know who is actually the assassin OOC, but you might not know he's Dymm... I know everyone doesn't have a disguise kit, but Incognito can work, if you only want to use it for a few seconds, or even just carrying hair dyes around and counting on people roleplaying well?
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am not saying we should have people assassinated so they can’t attend a tournament, or something."

I personally think that would be really cool. Say I am going to attend a tournament on a strong but not so lawful warrior and know that one person will beat me for sure as he is better. I could hire a team of assassins to stack the deck for me and have him killed, thus not being able to attend hehe.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea well finding a downside to the assassin beign caught is hard... just as hard as OSI had it trying to penelize PKs... Sure you could do the bounty system to catch them... Staying in one area for say 30min thats a HUGE draw back... you know how many times i've done an assassination only to see a spam of Reveal all over the place? And how about law enforcement arrest people instead of ganking them
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, no one would ever want to assassinate around me, either. Tracking is <3. That is if they had to stay in a general area for 30 minutes.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something that needs to be addressed as well. A skilled tracker might be able to see the difference between sandals, shoes and boots, and perhaps judge the weight of the individual by how deep the print is, but theyre not going to know the exact location of someone... and their name!!!
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

With 20.1 tracking, it doesn't point the exact location of someone anyway.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

It points close enough to where Reveal will work successfully.. espcially when you got 7-10 people all spamming reveal.
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Well also, realistically, someone couldn't "hide" by essentially poofing invisible in the center of a crowded room or outside in broad daylight, but in UO they can.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear a few people mention that tracking is getting nerfed at 20.1.

I really like this idea, I hope that warred players can't be detected unless you actually devote a massive chunk of your template to the skill.

Spamming reveals is pretty lame too, but the way I see it, an assassin doesn't kill right in the middle of a million people... In my little world, he waits for his target to be alone, does his thing, leaves a mark, then escapes the traditional way: slinking off into the shadows, not recalling.
Murdoc
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuja what happens is the dead target pigeons all their guildmates to come... how do ghosts use pigeons? beyond me... but yea or I kill someone then i stick around for a bit cause of the rules and we got Santus law enforcement(or whatever town it is in) running around spamming reveal and cursing cause the 10-12 of them can't find one stealther Smile

And yes hide is sorta not realistic since there is no one way one could hide in the middle of a crowd, but those of us who have it have devoted atleast 200 points into Stealth and Hide... thats VERY LARGE chunk... and well magery isn't very realistic either is it? how many people you know irl that can throw fire from their hands by saying a few words and using a few plants? There are alot of things that lack realism in UO... but there is a difference between lame and non-realistic
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this turns into a flame war and the idea is dumped because of one silly thing...

I see no problem with using Tracking as a skill, if you have it. I think that it is a bit unfair that having 20.1 in a skill can cancel out 200 points in two others, but that is just the way it is, right now. OSI said they would change it soon so that tracking doesn't work so good at such a low skill level. Tracking won't even be so great if the assassin has a disguise kit on, or you don't know who it was for sure. What I -do- have a problem with is the tracker knowing the name of the person just be seeing their footprints? In my opinion, this is pretty similar to knowing someone's name in RP without any previous knowledge of them. Unless the tracker is VERY familiar with a certain killer (perhaps bounty hunters would eventually become familiar with one or two assassins?) he should not be able to know his name in RP.

As for the hiding in the middle of the crowd thing: assassinations should be done in general privacy. Ideally, the mark would be alone, but that is not always possible. Maybe there would be one or two others by him. Maybe the assassin could try to sneak off, but would they follow? Or, maybe it would be better to pay them off so they "Forget" what they saw.

And Jeff/Murdoc... You wouldn't have to be completely stationary after a kill. If you made the kill in say, Sanctus, you'd have all of Sanctus to roam around. All the way up and down, off the road and on. If you had a few minutes head start, it'd still be pretty hard for Spawn and his gang to find you.
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 40.1 tracking to be able to track GM stealth/hiders, just thought I'd mention that.

Doesn't really matter to me, I have 55 or so tracking at the moment and am going to 80.1 for now, then slowly dropping it as I gain in other skills and perhaps scroll other skills. Either way, I will be fine. I also think that I would deserve a little extra something, I mean that's 55 points so far and 80.1 later on that I am devoting to one skill to be able to do exactly what the skill is meant to do, plus little extra stuff because tracking > all.
Unity
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill them all and let the gods sort them out!!! Murder, Assissinations, decapitations, guns, knives, dead people!! OMG....
Mave Gerhart
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how much tracking it takes to track someone in wraith form? And I like the idea of the disguise kits. If I was an assassin, slinked away and hid, the first thing I would do while hiding would be to change my appearance. So say that I moved down the road and hid, but some uber tracker was tracking I. Before he found me, I would use a disguise kit, then if they got too close, nonchalantly come out of hiding, strolling down the road. *nod* at the trackers as I walked the other was hehe. Make them have to find a way to prove that you were the one to do it, if they even stop you at all.

"If you have to explain why it makes RP sense, then odds are it doesn't" -Leshok (or his DM)

[01:48] Deathwisp: well I always rub the fuzzy part before I pull it off
[01:48] Mave: ...what?
[01:49] Deathwisp: you know, the fuzzy... nvm
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: