Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

On Assassination (long)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that wraiths either show up under 'monster' or not at all.

I think, from my assassin characters point of view, I would be satisfied if people just rp tracking well. Your character should have a reason why he/she is a good tracker... For example, my fencer Roc, was a ranger, lived in the woods. Now, he doesn't have tracking, no room for it, so I don't roleplay it. But use your judgement. Just don't godmode.

I think roleplaying tracking well encompasses a reason to have it, as well as not godmoding with it... If you say 'well its in the game mechanics' then you clearly care more about the game as a game than roleplaying. We will always be limited if we try to wrap our roleplay around a game engine that isn't being designed for roleplay, so we will need to forget that tracking somehow gets someones name from footprints.

If I had a tracker, I would look at what kind of floor the tracks are on. If you are on a solid floor, like the inside of a building, you could hardly be able to tell where footsteps go unless the murderer stepped in tons of blood or mud, etc. Outside is easier as there is grass and stuff.

Just my two cents.
Acejuk
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:14 pm Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Well then, I think Ace'farg is more of a physcopath murderer rather than Assassin....

HE does assassinations and uses stealth, but he usually works for himself or the orc horde.

Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote

As an elf and having my elf char's background of having lived in and around woods for 200 or so years, I would say that's a good enough reason to be a decent tracker.

As for the footprints inside, I don't think what you said is entirely true. It doesn't always have to be footprints that are being tracked, there could be other things, also. Smells, sounds, and some physical changes can be tracked, also. They'd have to be RPed though. I wouldn't expect a regular human to track by sound, but for an elf I would say tracking by sound is a good workable way to use it. Smell, I am not sure who would use that. I'm not up on which races are supposed to have good senses of smell.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They'd have to be RPed though.

My entire argument in a nutshell. Very Happy
Rellik
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your idea has been well thought out and totally acceptable.And I personnaly agree that as long as your rules can be enforced that this should be accepted shard wide.
Grig'nag da Mojo
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Orcs do smell real well-like, Alex. Good at tasting too, though you won't find many orcs licking the ground then saying "Hem went dat wey!" *points*

Can't we all just get along? No? Excellent.
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this discussion, but I personally find Dymm's proposal very realistic.

I would support your rules, but don't be surprised if someone in my guild gets assassinated if I don't ask you to clarify some points at that time.
Jaana
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Though some people can find good reasons for being able to track, I think we have to be a little strict or else we'll have people saying, "Oh.. um.. I lived in the forest.. a while.."
Living in the forest doesn't mean you can track a skilled assassin. Goats, wolves, goes with the territory. But how many times has your character been able to find the gypsy that stole your deer when you went to go get your skinning knife? Are there even humans that you track down where you live?
And once finding the footprints, when led up to whoever did the murder, what makes it so obvious that you have the right person? Wouldn't that also tie in with Forensic skills?
Also, I do think that game stats should be looked into somewhat. Loosely, but somewhat. Just so that we know you aren't pulling these stories out of thin air, and also having the skills shows dedication to that character.. It's my personal opinion, so let me know if you disagree.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, of course. There can be many reasons to track.... And everyone should be allowed a little godmoding spotlight now and then, everyone should get a chance to be the hero now and again. That is part of the fun of RP.

The problem is people that godmode like... a few days ago at the hostel someone tied someone up, the person pulls out a dagger and cuts the ropes, gets tied up again, pulls out another dagger... This went on for what, like 15 minuites and 100 daggers?

I think it would be nice if there was like, a once-a-month limit on godmoding. Everyone gets to godmode once a month or something. You should not be godmoding unless you RP a god (NO, a god is not all 70's suit, 4/9 casting, 100 LRC and 50 LMC, or massive artifacts)... and nobody here has the firepower (GM commands) to RP a god.

I just want to see tracking used in moderation, and no godmoding with it. That is all.
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't godmode except about stupid things that aren't really important.

Examples: Talking to my horse and being able to understand it back, talking to various sentient type animals(pixies and stuff), etc.

Nothing else really, like ever. I'm really careful when it comes to godmoding because when others do it it sometimes makes me a little uncomfortable so I try not to make others feel the same way.
Murdoc
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Godmoding? people do that sooo flipping often... I don't even let it bother me anymore... go to hanse and it's godmoding 24/7 there...Everyone does it everyone has done it.

Anyways... you talk to animals?

Freak...
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

My definition of unacceptable godmoding is doing an action that is forced upon another person and may result in something they do not want or have no control over. Also excessive use of things like *dodges the blow* and stuff, in my mind, are not acceptable all the time, unless the person godmode-hit you.
Acejuk
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:16 pm Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Pfft I didn't exactly godmode the fist time... tying up people pisses me off when you have their hands and they pull out a knife and cuts it. That just aint coo.. yo... G dawg hommie... BACK OFF SIRS OR I ASZNATJE JOO!

Alisia
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your ideas for RP assination.
Assassination was a taple of medievil politics and warfare. Just a few points. Leaving an item or mark on corpse? The idea of assassination is to kill your target without anyone knowing who did.Thus removing the target and also creating fear and mistrust amongst thier advisors,troops ect..The best assassin would leave a mark for someone else belonging to the targets clan,guild,kingom. An assassin who leaves evidence would soon find his carreer ended.(for rp purposes it works though,helps develop character)Just my 2 cents worth.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually glad this thread got bumped with another comment, as we may be seeing these ideas in action soon Very Happy Smile Very Happy Smile Very Happy
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: