Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Essay on Skill gains in Ultima...

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book
View previous topic :: View next topic
Thomas Hunter
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 pm Post subject: Essay on Skill gains in Ultima... Reply with quote

The secret to maximizing skill gains in UO (without using exploits or cheats) is speed, preparation, and repetition. This applies to any and all skills in game. Some are inheritedly harder to gain such as Provocation and Taming. I do not suggest nor recommend training AFK.

I do not worry too much about stats as they are fairly easy to manipulate now that the old system has been put back into effect. Here are some tips that I can offer to assist in improving the rate of your gains. These can be used by both power gamers and part timers. Some of the rates for gains I will illustrate will be for the Power gamers, as that is how I see myself in this game.

Prior to starting training, you must decide on what your final template is going to be. If training a Bushido Pally Fencer, for example, your template might end up being Bushido, Fencing, Tactics, Parry, Meditation, and Chiv. Once this is decided, you need to decide what skills you should start with, and what order to train them in. Recently, I started this template, and within 5 days, he was Legendary in all of those skills but Chivalry. Admittedly, I have resources available to me that are not available to new players, but the principles are the same.

In this instance, you would train Chiv and med first. Put some gold on Ankh for Tithing and don a LRC armor suit with as high Mana Regen and Lower Mana Cost as possible. LRC amor keeps you from using Tithing points if you are at 100 Percent LRC. Create a macro with the following attributes, Cast LastSpell, WaitForTarget, LastTarget, Last Object, AllNames. Open your Backpack on your character doll, and then cast spells. During this phase, lock Dex, and mark up Str and Int. When you get Int to about 40 or so, lock it and allow Str and Dex to gain.

When casting chiv spells for training, concentrate on spells you can cast without requiring target. Once this is done, simply cast a spell such as Divine Fury if you are about 5-10 pts above the minimum required skill level, and hold the key for your macro down. Progess through the skill and spells until you reach the point you can cast Dispel Evil. etc...

There are reasons to not use spells that require targets. But using this method, you could GM Chivalry in about 8-10 hours. You will GM Med as well. To aid you in casting the spells quicker you want to minimize your mana cost, your tithing cost, and to maximize your Mana Regen, and casting and recovery speeds. While training Chivalry, mark up Focus and Med, as the two combined will maximize your mana regen. You can drop either later. I prefer Med over focus. As a paladin, you can get instant Stam regen if you have mana.

In this instance, the importance of training Chiv first is to allow you to heal when training combat skills, and to give you a good chance to cast Dispel Evil. As a legendary Paladin, I rely on this spell ALOT. When cast, it will cause npc monsters and creatures that would otherwise attack you to be repelled. This will allow you to concentrate on one monster at a time while training.

For those templates that allow for Chivalry and Healing/Anat, having high chivalry will allow you to train both Healing and anatomy. If you are training these skills, go to Luna, or some other populated spot and cast Divine Sacrifice. This will lower your HP to 0 without killing you, and you can then apply bandages to heal yourself. Or have a friend cast divine sacrifice and you heal him for faster gains in both healing and anatomy.

After you have trained Chiv and Med, now it is time to train Parry. Go buy skill from the trainers in New Haven for 400 gold. Then get some cheesy bucklers, about 20, from either GM smith or NPC smith vendor. Go to the sheep pens in Yew. Take off all of your armor, and attack the sheep in the pen, all of them, and tab out so you dont kill them. You can take parry to GM in about 1-2 hours. About 4 hours till legendary. You can either have a friend heal you, or simply run out of the herd to heal then come back.

I found most of my gains were from running through the herd as they attack, and periodically you will need to flag on each of the sheep again to keep them interested in killing you.

If you are Training a Bushido warrior with parry, keep this in mind. Bushido reduces your chances to actively parry with a shield. So if you have Bushido before you have parry, you will slow down your parry gains. GM your parry, or take to whatever level you want. Then you can start in on Bushido.

Go to New Haven, buy Bushido, and fencing and tactics skills. for 1200 gold you get 40 points of each. Again, Maximize LMC, MR, and start in on training bushido. When you get to the point you can cast Lightning Strike, make sure you are unguilded. Buy a horse, and in a Trammel Ruleset attack it. Neither you or the horse will be harmed. Maximize your HCI and then cast Lightning Strike using the macro you have already created. GM Bushido does not really take that long with lightning strike, and now you are ready to train your weapon and tactics skill. Legendary Bushido takes considerably longer.

Why do I suggest training bushido before combat skills? For Lightning Strike. If you can cast that spell you get a bump to HCI. Lightning strike Exceeds the Cap for HCI, and will help you hit more often, thus gain combat skills more rapidly.

This is part one. More to come. If you have a specific skill you are curious about gaining, post here, and I will address that. The monsters you fight will dictate how fast you gain. My next installment will cover that area and what my preferences are.
Teladon Mortem
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 am Post subject: Your public wants more !!! Reply with quote

You have posted some very good information here. I am excited to see the next installment. You had mentioned that you are going to talk about what type of monsters to fight when gaining skills. I am currently at about 105 archery and have been focusing on Artic Ogre Lords. They are ok, the only problem is when they are camped I don't know where else to go. Looking forward to your next post.

Teladon Mortem
Thomas Hunter
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T BE AFRAID of Felucca. You get Mad skill gain, double the Fame/Resources, and usually have a lot less traffic of people and campers. You have to deal with the occasional Red but if you are smart will hardly fall victim. Stay out of the Champ Spawn locations, and stay close to dungeon entrances so you can run out and recall to safety if you get attacked and cant take out the Red.

OK.... My list of monsters to fight for combat skills gain.

40-60 Skill I go to the Tokuno Champ spawns and kill Lizardmen/Deathwatch Beetle Hatchlings

60-75 Skill I got to Despise Wrong, or Shame and kill ettins and earth eles.

75-GM Trogs

(70-90 for archers I would recommend Centaurs in Serpatine Passage Ilshenar. You get enough arrows to train to Legendary, and its safe if you have positive Karma, and skill gains against Centaurs at this level are decent.)

GM to 120 Rotate between Trogs and Artic Ogre Lords, Primarily in Felucca.

I train mostly in Fel. During Off Peak hours so I can train for hours on end without fear of Reds or Campers. If you have UOAssist, Record a macro to Cast Sacred Journey and target your rune book. This allows you to run outside of the Fel Dungeon and recall to your default rune location on the run if you get jumped by reds.

As long as you are training, you can loot your kills, and if you have a blue beetle can carry a bit of gold or spined leather hides. This allows training to be profitable, and by the time you are done with the Trogs you are also Glorious Lord. This would compensate you if you do happen to get killed by Reds.

In addition, since I train Chivalry before combat skills, and healing, it makes it easier to stay alive during training. As a paladin, the most overlooked spell is Dispel Evil. If you get into a MOB situation, cast this spell, and it will allow you to fight one monster at a time, and gain skills like mad.

Remember, the key to Mad skill gain for combat skills is Speed and Repetition, and making contact. Max out SSI, HCI, and your dex to train combat skills. The key to taking archery to 120 from GM is Peerless. Go do a lot of mel runs. I have legendaried Archery twice in Melisande/Travesty.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

For all weaponskill gains, you can still use a golem from 75-120 by hitting it with a poison weapon.

If you are worried about killing it, cast Gift of Renewal on it.
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I am training archery again. Using my method, I am at 108.2 in three days. I still have about 70k arrows in the bank for training, that I got off of Centaurs. Admittedly, it goes slow from this point on to 120 archery, but I gain .2 - .5 per peerless run.
Varkas
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

Before I ask questions, I may as well introduce myself. I go by Varkas in the game, and have recently returned to UO after quitting in 2001. I played for three years, before Trammel had come into existence. In my quest to look for something new to embrace in UO, I decided to check out the roleplaying community and decided to make a brand new character on Atlantic to hopefully interact with everyone here. I have found that an enormous amount of changes have been made, and have been doing my best to extract information from the forums. I have already gotten a build for my character and have started to work on him, but I had a quick questions about the monster guide in this post.

Simply put: Where are the trogs you mention to use from 75-GM? I am nearing that level and would like to know where I can find them when I am able to work with them.

Thank you in advance for the help. I will post a better introduction in the appropriate area soon, and I do look forward to meeting you all.
Yasamin
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ML dungeon, so you have to have that. If so, it's outside trinsic. Just go to Goodman's library outside of zento and use the runebook there. Very Happy
(4:45:41 PM) Jarem: It becomes increasingly difficult to feel noble in my causes when my cause is to defend my charge from her own violent tendencies.
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information.

I did want to mention two things though:

1) When I gain parry in the sheep fields, I've always just made a point to use a weapon that is different from the weapon skill you have. IE if you are a swordsman, hold a dagger. If you are fencing, hold a katana. This has always worked for me and avoids the problem of having to swap or lower skills if you have bushido before you have parry as you aren't using a shield at all. This also works for me regardless of bushido.

2) I use to love goleming as it is easy and convenient, but admittedly the last time I tried it my skill gain felt extremely slow. I don't believe I was doing anything wrong as I've done it multiple times, but I'm not sure what the problem was. I've decided for the time being that in my experience it is a matter of convenience vs. speed. For faster skill gains, I fight trogs. For slower but easier skill gians in which im not really doing anything and can comfortably talk to someone..goleming is the way to go.

Again, good guide thomas, just thought I'd throw in my thoughts.
Winters
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm just returning after a few year break an was wondering a few things if it isn't to much trouble...
One is that my main character is an archer/necro. Are this still a valid temp for doing champs?
Also I have a pally/axman (swords/lumberjack) he is more for just fun. Is lumber jacking still worth it for the added damage?
And finally I am wondering about what's the best way to train up animal taming past 80? I have a character with 80 taming an I believe 85 peacing... Or would provok be better? He is more for solo hunting. I remember some people even being able to do ilsh champs or paragon balrons solo Smile

Thanks
aulbrey
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Winters wrote:
Hi I'm just returning after a few year break an was wondering a few things if it isn't to much trouble...
One is that my main character is an archer/necro. Are this still a valid temp for doing champs?
Also I have a pally/axman (swords/lumberjack) he is more for just fun. Is lumber jacking still worth it for the added damage?
And finally I am wondering about what's the best way to train up animal taming past 80? I have a character with 80 taming an I believe 85 peacing... Or would provok be better? He is more for solo hunting. I remember some people even being able to do ilsh champs or paragon balrons solo Smile

Thanks

im not a expert by far but in my experience in my opinion archer/necro still do good in champ spawns.

as far as the lumberjacking i have no clue since i never had the skill myself.

and for taming the guide ive been using can be found Here

not sure what type of jewels you use but you can also put taming on jewels this is alot easier to come by now with imbuing in the picture.
Winters
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank ya, I'm going to take a look at the taming guild after work. An I use some low level taming jewelry, but it's stuff from 2006 back when that stuff was a lot more expensive haha. Also do you know if there's still that website that allows you to look up items in Luna? An if so does it function properly? Thanks again Smile
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Adventurer's Guide Book All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: