Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Returning old school player looking to restart
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> New Here? Find Out How to Get Started
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dunedain
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:54 am Post subject: Returning old school player looking to restart Reply with quote

Hail Atlantic.

I am an old timer who inhabited this realm during the First and Second Ages.

Having found that no other realm provides even a close approximation of the wealth of story to be found here I have returned to find the realm transformed in many ways. I find myself a stranger in a stangely familiar land.

It has been nearly ten years since I departed. I have much catching up to do, but would like to become involved in the comings and goings of the realm as I work to rediscover lost skills and develop new ones.

If there are any still around who recall a former Teacher of Swords at West Yew University who later became one the Captains of the Yew Militia I would greatly appreciate a chance to reminesce about old times over a pint at the Serpent Cross Tavern.

Lord Dunedain

p.s. Hi Molly. Remember me?
Joanna Weaver
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

Location: ~Magincia~ Republic of Magincia Administrator @}'~,~'<[M]>'~,~'{@

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome back to UO!

There have been a ton of changes since you left. It might even be a little overwhelming at times. Don't worry about that, though. We have a lot of helpful people here that can get you caught up.

With so many changes in the game since you left, you may not even know where to begin. Did you know that during your absence the lands of Ilshenar, Malas, Tokuno, and Ter Mur were discovered? So much new land to explore.

There have been new skills added to the game as well. Necromancy, Chivalry, Bushido, Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, Mysticism, Throwing, and Imbuing. The bard skill of Enticement was removed, and Discordance was added in its place.

Tailors, Blacksmiths, and Carpenters now have special materials to work with and can learn "recipes" to craft powerful artifacts. No more are there one type of leather, wood, or ore. There is a wide range of types, each with their own material properties. Carpenters can craft with stone and alchemists with glass. Imbuing lets you put whatever magic properties you want on an item.

You can grow plants! Cooks can make food that helps your adventuring. You can craft your own dyes for your armor.

The skill cap for many skills was raised to 120, but you need special power scrolls to unlock it. Lower reagent suits made training magical classes easier by making spells cast free of reagents.

Quest NPCs were added to game, yielding prizes and adventure. Treasure maps and SoS give more loot. Peerless and Champion bosses were added to the game, giving more for groups to do.

Interested?

Here is a helpful site, if you are eager to learn more about the game changes:

UO Guide

Here is a list of the many guilds there are to pick from among the ARPC:

ARPC Guild List

If you played that far back, you might remember Isk, that white-masked man who hates elves. He is still keeping Humanis alive with his guild Republic of Magincia. We are actively recruiting ( hint ) and we help beginning and returning players, alike. The guild is very pro-human, so we prefer to guild human characters. If you are interested in learning more, check us out at

Republic of Magincia

And of course it is absolutely fine if you prefer to wander around taking in the new sights and explore a bit. There is no hurry to join a guild, we will all be here when and if you are ready for that. Tonight is one of our weekly tavern nights, in fact. You can watch the schedule for up-coming events:

ARPC Event Schedule

In the meantime, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Even if it is simply a gate to tavern night.

My icq is 96750049

I look forward to seeing you in game! Smile
Dealthagar
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunedain!

Yes, i remember you well sir. Good to see you back. i came back about a year ago. Do everything Joanna tells you. It works for me. Smile

The Three Truths of Singularity

Do something to the best of your abilty or don't do it at all
Feel to the fullest of your ability, cutting yourself off from your emotions leads to spiritual death
Control your being, your existance, your destiny.

www.adriandrake.com
Dunedain
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealthagar!

Great to see you are lurking around. We surely had some great times as antagonists. I look forward to more.

Joanna,

Thank you much for the helpful links. It's especially great to see such a long list of active guilds although it pains me to see one in particular that is absent. The Yew Militia lives on in my heart. Perhaps all that is needed is for some one to take up the banner again.......

Lord Dunedain
Wynn
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Welcome . Hope to see you around.
Molly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooHooo!!! *spins around and passes out dead away*
I am still around but does not seem to be any Gems to find anymore! How the heck are you! Great to see you! Let's do some rp and I can help you get reset up if you are interested!
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Dunedain
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly,

I'm looking forward to some real RP like the good ole days.

I drifted through many other games in the last 10 years and never found one where the folks playing it really cared about trying to role play rather than just game play.

Of course, nothing is ever the same as you remember it and you can never go back, but somethimes you can recapture a bit of lost glory.

My first day experiences upon my return were a night and day difference from my start here 13 years ago.

When I started in UO 13 years ago, I described it to my friends as a bit of a Wild West atmosphere full of lawlessness, anarchy and a bit of frontier justice. I must have sworn to quit at least 20 times a day as I fell prey to the rampant PKs every time I left the guard zone. I credit those PKs with toughening me up. Eventually I reached a point where I became determined not to let them drive me out of the game. I avoided people altogether. I hunted in forests in as stealthy a manner as a character with no hiding skill could.

It was 6 months before a chance encounter in the woods of Yew resulted in the discovery that not all the other players were out to kill and plunder me. I found my way to West Yew University and became a Teacher of Swords as soon as I became a Grand Master. It couldn't have been a more fortunate turn of events as Yew at that time was at the fuldrum of much of the RP taking place in those days.

I have not resurrected my old account. It was so long ago that I cannot even begin to remember the account name or password and I have had several changes of email address since. I am not sure if it is worth contacting EA to see if I could get the account info snail mailed to my home (if they would even do that) as the one thing that is still the same is the account billing address. My house is long condemned and most of my belongings would be far out of date.

I started a new account and this is where the experiences diverge greatly from 13 years ago. I hadn't been in Haven for more than 30 minutes before a kindly older player looking to help newbies wisked me off to her keep, outfitted me with weapons, armor, rune books and a bank check for a MILLION gold. Each new character I have started has had nearly the same thing happen to them. By the time I started the 5th character I was starting to feel a little ashamed of myself, as I have normally rejected most offers of assistance in most games as I have always been a big proponent of working to earn what I acquire.

Realizing that I am far, far behind the curve I took the help offered. I still need to come up to speed on many, many things.
Are trapped pouches still essential for survival in PVP to break paralysis? Chivalry seems to have really complicated a fighters template choices. In the old days Dune was never a 7x GM. He was 6x with the last 100 split between archery and magery. 60 magery gave him the utility he needed for marking and recalling. It was never used for combat as he had no Eval Intel. 40 archery was just enough to give him a token ranged attack for ship to ship fighting and was actually enough to allow him to solo dragons if I didn't mind investing 10 minutes in the effort.

While Chivalry provides the utility of recalling it doesn't provide an ability to mark which is a great hindrince to flexibility. Chivalry also seems to have forced a reduction in Dex for melee fighters. Do the attack and healing bonuses of Chivalry outweigh the loss of Dex? Is Chivalry based healing enough to sustain a character through combat or is Healing still an essential melee skill?

Sorry for the flood of questions....I have soooo much to learn....and I'm rambling.

Hope to see you all in game soon. I am not sure yet how I am going to approach RPing a new Dunedain as it seems all he was a part of vanished along with him.

Oh, and thanks very much for the warm welcome home.
Trialos
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

1 million gold? wow I must have came on at the wrong times - no one helped my newbie in Haven Sad

But I am probably going to transfer my fisherman over to Atlantic soon anyhow - but I could still use 1 million haha
Joanna Weaver
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

Location: ~Magincia~ Republic of Magincia Administrator @}'~,~'<[M]>'~,~'{@

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hook you up with a quickie imbued suit and some provisions, Trialos. Smile
Cear Dallben ZOG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home.
If your down for some evil RP based around the second age expansion hit up thezogcabal.com
See you in Britannia

U6Online|| Welcome to Blackrock||Sunrise, Isle of the Avatar||Automatic Roleplay
Willow Smythe
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! If you are interested, I have a rune book of RP hotspots.

Hit me up on ICQ 271 806 558
Malorn ‎(12:14 AM):
I'm an idiot
Molly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a section here that can help with some of those questions:
Adventurer's Guide Book and if you go to the Great Assembly Hall you can ask questions.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Trillin
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see you found your way back Wink
Dunedain
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Willow,

A rune book with RP hotspots would be great.

Thanks very much
Willow Smythe
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ICQ?
Malorn ‎(12:14 AM):
I'm an idiot
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> New Here? Find Out How to Get Started All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: