Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Seedlings
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic
Konrad Ne'Sveti
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:25 pm Post subject: Seedlings Reply with quote

The humid air of the Magincian jungle struck his face like a slap as he stepped through the shimmering moongate.

Ah, the Island of Pride.

He thought silently on this as he moved quickly through the dense jungle and overgrown paths that led towards the city proper. The Island of Pride. The irony stung his veins as though a poison. Pride! It was the site of his greatest failure. He had shamed his family, and shamed himself in losing the throne of Magincia so long ago.

His acerbic reverie was interupted as the jungle suddenly cleared, and gave way to the splendor of the streets of Magincia, capital of the Hand of Humanis. There before him lay the red-tiled roofs of the City of Pride, the city that had plagued his dreams and his memories since his hasty retreat from the parliament building. A wave of pure hatred rushed over him as he stalked towards the city he so despised. For a moment he basked in the rising vitriol, revelled in the strength it fuelled him with; but then pushed it aside. Tonight, he had other matters to attend to.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, he pressed onwards through the jewelled streets of Magincia, taking a path eastwards towards the parliament. He had offered to take the eastern route for a reason; he had to see the edifice of the parliament building once more. Keeping his head bowed as he travelled the streets under an assumed name, he looked none of the citizens in the eye, the risk of discovery was too great; and his welcome would be less than heartfelt should he be discovered.

The distant sounds of a large crowd rode upon the breeze, the Humanis speech was starting. For the briefest of moment he considered listening as part of the crowd, taking stock of those who claimed his lands, and appraising them. With a sneer he dismissed the idea, to surrender to pride now, would be folly. He fingered the blackened seeds given to him by Admoreth, and increased his pace.

Rounding the corner of the bakery, he could hear the crowd closer now, as they gathered fervently to hear the speeches of their rulers. He paused and looked across the water, to the small island upon which stood the parliament building and the throne of Magincia. His throne. Taken from him in a moment of weakness. Uttering a prayer to his ancestors, and a curse upon Humanis, he took the pouch from his belt, and weighed it in his hands.

"Such small things, can they truly be so potent?" he murmered to himself as he took the seeds in his hands, and threw them one by one onto the fertile ground of the Island of Pride. As he made ready to throw the fifth and final seed, he leant closer, for it seemed the vegetation around the blackened kernels began to wither already. "I'll be..." Konrad began.

A voice from behind interrupted him, and sent him spinning into a standing position facing the intruder.

"What's this then?" the watchman held up his lantern for a better look. Thinking fast, Konrad assumed the persona he had told the others to adopt should they run into trouble.

"Oh at last! Perhaps you could help me good sir?" he said with feigned relief, and a welcoming smile.

"Help you..?" The confused watchman surveyed the scene, looking suspisciously at Konrad.

"Indeed, I am lost, I seek the bank to deposit my days takings, but alas I have grown lost..."

"You dress like a council member, and cannot find the bank?" a puzzled look crossed the mans face.

Rage exploded within Konrad's chest, filling his veins with the black blood of fury as he swallowed hard to conceal his anger. Maintaining his outward demeanour he smiled; "You have me mistaken sir, I am but a simple merchant who was come to the Isle this very day."

Council member! The voice inside Konrad screamed.

"Ah, well then, I shall lead you to the bank as you tell me what it is you trade in." said the man, turning away.

Konrad flicked the final seed to the ground, and followed.

Council member! You will pay for that, insolent wretch.

Smiling, Konrad explained how he had come to sell spices after hearing the trade was most profitable, and had his ship moored a little offshore. The two talked amicably as they made their way to the bank. Flicking a gold coin to the man for his trouble, Konrad said his farewells, and entered the bank.

Use the money to pay for a coffin, you son of a Terathan.

As soon as the watchman had left his sight, Konrad dashed from the bank and towards the moongate. His task complete he could no longer bear to be upon the accursed isle. He would return to the others, and learn if their own forays onto the Island of Pride had been as fruitful as his own...

Humanis
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:07 am Post subject: Findings... Reply with quote

Sunrise in Magincia, another day of work for some, for others, it is a day of learning.
The two boys ran down the street, they were already late for their class. They knew Mister Wyntermore would be angry if they were any later than they were.

“We are going to be late, Erick!” the one boy yelled to the other who had fallen behind. He glanced back to notice his friend kneeling by the edge of the jeweler’s. He ran back to see what was so captivating.

He looked down at what his friend was interested in. There was a large purple and red-blossomed flower. Its beauty unsurpassed by any other flower the boys had seen before. Timothy kneeled down next to his friend Erick. They both gently touched the leaves of the flower. “Isn’t it pretty, Tim?” Erick asked, his attention focused only on the flower.
“We are going to be late!” Timothy replied. They both stood up and stared down at the flower.

As they started to walk away, a light, black cloud emitted from the flower. The boys both took a deep breath, and coughed slightly. They laughed a bit, and then ran down the street to the library for their teachings. Ready to tell Mister Wyntermore of their finding.
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:04 am Post subject: Reply with quote

“One of the ones from the Jhelom Council of Valor that we learned about was a great swordsman named Cuthbert Allgood. We will be studying his immense contributions to Humanis today… Oh. I am glad you were able to join us today, Erick, Tim.”

Drake smiled at the two boys running in and apparently out of breath. Between deep breaths they muttered their apologies. “Oh, no, no. We’re all just early. Don’t worry, boys!” The class snickered a bit (and Drake, too) as the boys took their seats near the front. Drake was about to continue his lesson, but Erick’s hand was already raised. “You can’t possibly have a question already. What is it?”

“Professor Wyntermore, Tim and I found such a great plant outside! We’ve never seen ‘em like that in Magincia. You should go see it after class.”

“A flower you’ve never seen in Magincia? In someone’s garden, you mean?”

“Nope, professor. Just right out on the street, pretty much.”

Drake nodded. He was moderately interested but there was still class to get to. “Well, you two can make up your late time by showing it to me then, hmm?” Drake winked at them and begun to put up some notes on Cuthbert.

~

About an hour later, Drake wrapped up the class and dismissed the students. He walked over to his desk, placed all his notes into a pack and fastened his cloak around his neck. He was already planning the rest of the day out – maybe he’d get to see Asera again, but doubtful… Regency meeting. Sighing slightly, he turned around toward the exit, but only to run right into Erick and Tim. “Yes, boys?”

“Professor! C’mon, let’s go show you the flower!”

“Ohh, right, right. Let’s go.” Drake wasn’t really going to have held them to showing him the flower… He had totally forgotten about it, actually, but if they wanted to bring him, that was fine by him. Drake stepped out of the classroom and into the sunlight of Magincia. He breathed deep, smiled and continued his long paces to keep up with the kids running ahead of him. Somewhere distant in his head, he thought of having his own kids to watch run in the streets some day.

The boys, almost a full block ahead now, stopped and knelt next to each other, on the side of the road. Drake caught back up with them and looked down at the floor. There it was. They were right. It was the most beautiful flower he had ever seen. And growing right here in Magincia? How odd. While considering how it could’ve grown here, it seemed to move slightly.

It had sprayed some sort of pollen in the air… a black pollen. The kids got it on themselves and giggled to each other. “Boys, get up now, alright? I don’t know if we should be playing with strange plants now. I’ll let someone take a look at it and make sure it’s safe first, alright?”

The boys seemed slightly disappointed but they did as they were told. Drake took a final, distrusting glance at the flower. It was beautiful, yes, but that black pollen still stuck in the grass around it. Drake looked back down the street of Magincia, but it was empty. The kids must’ve run off by now. He began to feel strangely lonesome…
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake Wyntermore
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

They were late again. Drake didn’t mind his students coming in a few minutes late but this was two days in a row now. He tapped his foot on the floor once, glanced out the door and determined he’d just have to start without them again. They’d show up eventually. They didn’t, though. After class, Drake approached one of the students he knew was friends with Erick. “Christopher, do you happen to know why Erick was absent today?”

“Oh, yes, professor. He’s sick today.” Chris turned to walk away but Drake stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

“Sick? Will he be back tomorrow?” Drake asked.

“I donno’, professor. He’s at the healers now.” He turned to leave again and this time Drake let him. He was worried, though. Glancing up at the clock on the wall, he realized he had some time to spare. Quickly gathering up his things, Drake walked out of the classroom and onto the streets of Magincia. It was raining outside today. Drake usually enjoyed the rain, though. It set a nice mood on the island. It seemed to calm everything down for him. Today, though, the skies were dark and unpleasant. The rain fell hard and cold, crashing against the streets and the sand. Drake pulled his coat over his shoulders and started his way toward the healers. Passing the Stag and Lion, Drake glanced around, half-expecting to see the flower. He didn’t, though.

Arriving drenched, Drake stepped into the healers. He tried to wring out his cloak, but it was no use. He took a glance back at the torrential rain and the dark skies. He tried to enjoy the site like he had enjoyed other storms, but it was impossible. He wasn’t sure why.

Drake shook his head and hung his coat up on the rack next to the door. There were several other soaked coats there, as well. He noticed there were two small ones.

The healers all seemed to be busy in the back, so Drake took it upon himself to take a few steps toward the desk. He moved a roll of bandages out of the way to look at the book. The names stood out before him. “Erick” and “Tim” both printed boldly. He had expected it and was unsure of why he was so startled. Next to their names was printed “Unknown disease.” On the far side of the page was a “Condition” category. They were both listed as “Terminal.”

A pang of pain rang through Drake’s back. He felt temporarily paralyzed by the words but couldn’t tear his eyes away from them. Terminal… They were giggling and running just yesterday. He had been with them. It must be a mistake. Yes, that must be it. A mistake. He’d walk up to a healer right away and clear it up.

Drake swiftly walked up to the closest healer and tapped him once on the shoulder. The doctor turned and looked slightly irritated but Drake didn’t care. “Excuse me. So sorry to interrupt, but I have two students that are checked in here. They’re listed as ‘terminal’ but I know that can’t be right. I was just with them yesterday and they were fine. I was wondering if you could ju-…”

The doctor had put his hand up to stop Drake though. “I’m awful sorry, sir. Your students are both terminal, though. We expect they only have a couple of hours. One or two days at most… Really, I’m awfully sorry, sir. There just… there isn’t anything we can do for them.”

Drake was absolutely stunned. The sadness hadn’t even set in yet – he was simply in a state of disbelief and shock. He turned his eyes away from the healer now, feeling like he wasn’t even part of his own body, and noticed what he hadn’t seen early. How had he missed it? The two kids were laying in the beds, blankets up to their necks, with faces of absolute misery. Parents were crying and consoling each other at the ends of the beds. The two kids weren’t all either. He noticed almost all the beds in the healer were full. He didn’t come around here often, but he knew there were normally only a few. Never this many. Drake tried to contain himself and ask a proper question but he only managed to mutter one word. “H-…How?”

The healer spoke in a melancholy, but professional tone. “We are still uncertain, sir. All of the infected, though, have reported seeing a new type of flower and having had the pollen near them. We think that might be a possible cause.”

He couldn’t deal with it right now. Drake spun around on his heel and swiftly walked out of the door, grabbing his coat on the way. The doctor called out behind him but Drake didn’t care now. How was this possible? That awful, beautiful flower. How could it do so much damage in so little time? Drake shook his head. The rain crashed against his skin and chilled his bones but he hardly even noticed it now. He half-remembered how happy he had been just a few days ago, being with Asera in Vesper… And now this. It was absolutely implausible. How could everything change so fast?

Drake walked back to the Stag and Lion, coat hanging from his arm at his side. He spoke to the innkeeper, barely even recognizing his voice as his own and paid for a room. He walked through the hallway to his designated room and lay down on the bed. He threw his soaked coat on the back of the chair and was distantly aware that he was probably getting the sheets all wet. He heard the constant rain beat down on the roof of the inn and it upset him. After what seemed like ages, Drake drifted off into a dreamless but troubled nap, right in the middle of the day, with more classes yet to teach. Though, what did any of that matter?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:17 pm Post subject: A Strange Walk Reply with quote

Cecil was hungry. He forgot to eat breakfast in the morning and went straight to work, and at nearly 2 o’clock in the afternoon, it was a bit late and he was famished. He walked along the streets of Magincia, noting how strangely quiet it seemed. Children, playing loudly around the island at any other time, were not there. Some of the older shopkeepers he checked in on were not in their shops - their sons or grandsons attending the counter or plying the family trade in their place.

Needless to say, Cecil was puzzled. He began walking up the long road to the docks, noting for the first time a strange new flower that seemed to be everywhere. “Strange,” he said to himself, “surely this plant... hmm... I’ve seen nothing like it...” He shrugged it off, pulled a few of the blossoms from some of the more mature flowers and placed them in an empty potion flask. “Perhaps I’ll find a use for this in my research,” Cecil again thought aloud.

Walking up the road further, he noticed something he hadn’t seen in years. It shocked and startled him... people, laying in the streets, coughing, gasping for air. All of them aged, elderly. Cecil was shocked! Such sickness hadn’t been seen in Magincia in many years. The island was kept free of plague harboring vermin and filthy members of the lesser races for years! How could this be? Whoever... whatever... wherever... whatever brought this to Magincia would suffer, their ilk would suffer. Chanting a few choice words and waving his hand, a blood red moongate was forged. Stepping through, Cecil arrived outside his Skara Brae countryside villa and hastily made his way up the stairs and through the door. Sitting down, he fumbled for a bit of parchment, found his ink and began to pen a letter missive to be posted in every corner of the island and sent to every nation.

ATTENTION, CITIZENS OF MAGINCIA AND THE WORLD

BY ORDER OF THE CONSTABLE OF MAGINCIA, NONE ARE TO ENTER OR LEAVE THE ISLAND OF MAGINCIA EXCEPT FOR DOCUMENTED HUMANIS PARTY OFFICIALS AND MEMBERS.

THE PENALTY FOR FAILING TO COMPLY IS DEATH BY INCINERATION.

THAT IS ALL.

-Cecil Accolade IV, Constable of Magincia

Cecil thought to himself. “Surely Lilyth Noir is behind this... Yew is a land without law and she has been known to deal with the unscrupulous to get her way. She is untrustworthy. She is a halfbreed. Insane! I shall not stand for this... if she found a way to bring a sickly Yewish citizen into Magincia, I’ll... I’ll... death. She shall find only death.”

Cecil pulled out a fresh pen and a larger jar of ink... he was going to need quite a bit of it to write as much as he planned to this day. He began to laugh, realizing that he hadn’t eaten today yet hungered not. “Noir shall find death for her actions! DEATH! Hahahahaha!”

Mad laughter filled the hills of the Braelands for hours...
Son_Gohan
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:37 pm Post subject: Answers are fleeting Reply with quote

As Gohan stepped through the moongate outside Magincia, he saw the ending of the storm, as the light rain seemed to make his armor glisten a bright bronze, the earthy tone he liked. He casually walked through the city, unaware of the events that had come about in the previous hours.

He noticed a restless inactivity in the air, as the children were scarce throughout the streets, and their games, though energetic, seemed more melancholy than anything else.

His pace began to quicken, until he reached the healer’s, which was unusually fraught with activity. He stepped inside, where he saw parents crying, the doctors racing about, and every bed full, and some unfortunates lying on the floor.

Gohan stood, dumbfounded, as he could remember every face as being healthy and happy the day before. He gently grabbed the arm of one of the doctors, and asked in a disheartened tone, “What has happened here?” The doctor could only reply in a hurried tone, “We don’t know yet” as he rushed off to try and comfort some of the sick.

Gohan walked over to one of the beds, where a boy named Erick lay in pain, his mother crying over him, and his father pacing about. He removed his gloves, and put his hand on the boy’s forehead, which seemed hotter than a fire. Gohan grimaced in unison with the boy, as the father spoke to him... “Mister Gohan, what is going on here?” Know he had nothing to say to console these poor people, Gohan could only reply by saying… “I don’t know… but I intend on finding out…” He remembered this boy as one of Drake’s students, and asked the whereabouts of Drake. The father mentioned that he saw him heading towards the inn earlier.

Gohan then replaced his gloves on his hands and set out towards the inn of Magincia, to hopefully find some more information.

~~~

On his way to the inn, Gohan noticed some particularly beautiful flowers blooming along the road that he had never seen before. He began to walk towards one of the blooms, but one of the flowers burst, spouting forth black pollen. He jumped back to avoid the malicious-looking spores, and decided against going for a closer look.

For what seemed like hours, he walked through the streets to the inn, seeing more and more of these flowers, until he finally came to the inn. He asked the innkeeper in a brisk voice “Is Drake Wyntermoor staying here?” The man simply replied “Yes,” and showed Gohan which room that Drake was in. Gohan opened the door, where Drake was laying down. Gohan began to speak, but Drake interrupted him, exclaiming “Go away,” until he turned and saw it was him. “Oh, Gohan, it’s you… my apologies. It has been a difficult day.”

“Think nothing of it, my friend. What is going on here?”

“I wish I knew,” Drake began. “All of the sudden, two of my students find a beautiful flower that spits out black pollen and now, it seems that half of Magincia has fallen under a strange disease. The two must be related, but there is much we don’t know...”

Gohan began to speak “…like where the flower came from… and how to cure its disease.” He slammed his fist against the wall, “Damnit, I know I am no botanist, and we need answers fast. I just was in the healers, the two boys that first contracted the disease are in terrible shape, and more are being infected every minute.”

Drake interrupted him “I know, I know. We need an expert… perhaps we should gather a sample of the plant… but then again, that just might be suicide on our part.” Drake sighs heavily. “I just don’t know what to do.”

“Let’s go outside… we aren’t going to find out anything in this room,” Gohan said as he threw Drake the cloak that hung across the corner chair. “Agreed.”

Once outside, Drake and Gohan heard the sound of distant laughter. Gohan’s ears perked up... “That sounds like Cecil,” as Drake nodded in agreement. “Perhaps he has found out something.”

As Gohan and Drake closed in on Cecil, his eyes were set intently on the ground, as he held a potion bottle with a specimen of the flower. Drake and Gohan looked to the ground. “Skulls… what in the hell… are skulls doing here?” Gohan inquired as he saw what Cecil was staring intently at. He saw 5 skulls, shaped in a sort of a “V” formation.

“This… this is no accident,” Drake exclaimed, and Gohan and Cecil nodded in agreement.

“Now,” Gohan said after a few minutes, “The only question is who has done this crime…”
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelique smiles, remembering the conversation with Isk just the night prior about how her daily routines are good for the children, giving them a schedule of sorts and teaching them what to expect, as she loads them up in the basket on her mount to head for the daily trip into Magincia. Today there was a change in the routine, after Athlon slipping out of the house the evening before, her first stop was at the tinkers for new locks to place high up on the front doors, before heading to gather the coconuts and see their friend Mario, the baker.

The tinker hands her the locks and urges her to get the children out of town quickly, telling her of a missive posted about town by the Constable.
Quickly covering the basket with a blanket, the gypsy rides to find one of the posted missives, seeking more information. Instead she finds Mark Randerstill. who tells her of the two dead children and little more. After reminding him of her knowledge in cures and potions, both through gypsy training and that of an alchemist, she takes her leave and rushes to the bakers.

"No, no Athlon, no killing rats today. We will get our coconuts elsewhere.
Magincia is not safe today for little boys and girls. Mama will make you muffins at home. But we shall go help Mario to keep his children safe."
She smiles down at the half talking, half babbling silver haired twin and covers him back with the blanket.

Finding Mario busy baking as they do everyday she shook her head and declined his daily muffins for the boys. Instead handing him a rather large pouch of gold coins. "Mario, leave your baking. Take your wife and children and get them a room in Papua Inn. The food is quite good there. If you must return, do so without them until Magincia is safe. If the Constable does not hail the 'All Clear' for the city soon I shall travel to Papua with another pouch to keep your wife in good standing with the innkeeper." Dismissing off Mario's emotional display of gratitude with a simple, "Tis what friends do, now go". she races off out of town with her own children to the hedgemaze to do their daily gathering of coconuts, finding many ripe apples and pears there as well before heading home.
Mark Randerstill
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

"I must rest. I will speak to you both soon." Those were the lasts words he spoke to Draven and Drake before going into his room at the Inn. He removed his armor, and then rested on the bed. His mind raced as to the nights events. He had seen the plants for the first time. How could he miss them? They were everywhere in the city. You could not walk five feet without seeing one near your feet.

He couldn't take it anymore. He got out of bed, dressed himself, then stepped outside the inn. It was pitch black. The street lamps were burning, but they did little. We mounted his horse and began to side towards the docks.

As he rode to the docks, he could see the torches lit. Another collection of bodies being sent off to sea for their traditional Magincian burial. He walked down to the docks. Such a large group of people. So many tears. He gave his condolences to all there before mounting again and riding back to the Inn.

He sat down the desk in his room, and lit a candle. He opened the drawer and pulled out paper, ink, and a pen. "A list..." he thought... "A list of all those lost. Our future...our past..." And he began to chart the names on the paper...so many to add...so many more to come...
Darrien Church
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving quickly through the outskirts of Magincia Darrien quickly pours an odd mixture on the deadly blossoms which now plauge the island. Taking extra care not to inhale he makes his way to the wooded area behind the bank to insure that these plants, near such a busy area are taken extra care of.
Tucking the empty vials back into his robe Darrien and the slave mistress make great haste to leave the Island in secret, their dark deed complete.
Mark Randerstill
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

“Mark, Khay’Thall…has become infected…” were the words that chimed in his head as he ran frantically to the healers. He barged through the door. Scanning the room, he saw Khay lying there. He kneeled down next to his fallen Comrade.

Khay’Thall, a man known to all those within Magincia as a hero, was there, a bloody towel covering his mouth. Khay’Thall, author of the Manifesto, former leader of the Sosarian Human Nation; without Khay’Thall, Humanis would not even exist today.

Mark looked at the once mighty Khay’Thall…he was a shell of his former self. They talked for a while, it seemed like seconds to Mark when it was over. “Goodbye, Comrade” Mark said…the last words he would ever speak to Khay’Thall.

He walked outside, eventually joined by Drake…They sat together in silence until Mark began to mount his horse. ”I will find answers, Drake, even if it means my own death.” He said as he mounted the horse. He rode off to the inn to collect his belongings. He reached down to a small book. He slowly opened it and flipped through the pages…In it was the names of all those who were dead or dying…he came to an open spot in the book…a tear flowed down his cheek as he added another name to the list…

“Khay’Thall”
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Alizia paced the house with concern and worry. She had heard tell of the strange plants and their effect on the people of Magincia. Mark had forbid her from entering the city. She was learning the ways of a healer. She could be needed to aide those infected. But alas, she was stuck at their home gazing out the window. It was enough to drive her mad. A thought came across as she gazed upon the stars, that seemed brighter this evening. She quickly sent a pigeon to her friend Angelique. After all, she had helped Magincia the last time a plague hit them. Perhaps, with Alizia's knowledge and skill in healing and Angelique's knowlegde of the Magincia past in such plagues...the two of them might beable to come up with a cure...or at least a medicine to help delay the ending effect of this plague. She quickly wrote a pigeon to her friend, inquiring a meeting of the two of them.

Dear Angelique

I am inquiring about the strange plant that I have been hearing about. Please could we meet so that perhaps together we could help find a cure for what seems to be plaguing our city. Mark has forbade me from entering Magicinia. I am willing to meet you anywhere. Please give me a time and date that will be suitable for you. I worry so for our family.

Love
Your friend
Ali

She decided while awaiting a response, she would go about and do a few errands. First stop was in Yew, another city that had suffered plagues with the result of theirs still lingering about the land as a salt rub reminder of those lost. She then went to a couple of the healers through the lands as well to several libaries trying to find information on such plants..though she only had a description to go on. After gathering a few books, a few recipes of cures for some plagues...she returned home. She checked in on Nadia and Charles. Both asleep peacefully with smiles upon her lips. She closed her eyes as she slowly left their rooms.

"Damnit Mark you better becareful. I lost one husband..I can't..and wont lose another."

She mutters to herself as she heads to their bedroom. She closes the door and lights the lantern. Pushing some of Mark's books off the table, she settles down with a cup of tea and the determination to help her people.
Angelique
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelique reads her parchment and shows it to Isk. "See, bright minds do think alike. It appears the three of us are in agreement that Alizia and I work together", she states will walking to the desk to pen her reply.

My friend Alizia,

Too long it has been since we had much time to spend together. Isk and I were speaking of you and I working on a cure together just last night, for this deadly disease killing off our citizens. I am allowed in the city just not with the children. I have gone daily to check on the people and follow the symptoms. I will obtain samples of the plant on my next visit.

I have searched tome after tome for the flora and been unable to find it.
I searched tomes of the gypsies, tomes in the Lyceaeum, as well as those in the Libraries of Lord British.

The past few days I have had my hands full trying to keep Athlon from the isle. Ever since we were sent away the first day he has wanted to go back to save the people. I was nearing insanity last night from the constant chant of "Aaa go MaCee!" When Isk returned home and took him by ship just off the shores of Magincia and had him look through a spyglass. The child is more determined than ever to save 'his' Magincia.
He has visited there daily all his life and the people are most kind to him.
His bond with them is great. Just yesterday as I was cleaning Isk's office I caught him as he was searching Isk's rune library for the familar name.
He seemed to calm when I explained that we all will do what we can to help. He and his father can go out and help gather ingredients we will be needing. The Guardians of Spiritwood have also offered their help to gather the ingredients so we can spend our time held up in the lab working.

I have been going to the lab and burning my clothes, bathing and changing before I return home from my daily trips to Magincia. So pack many changes of inexpensive clothing and boots so you do not carry anything back to your home and family. You can store them at the lab. The lab has a nice ocean breeze we wont be confined with the toxic flower. I think I shall wear a scarf over my face all the same.

We have much work ahead of us, but I am sure with our talents combined we can beat this and help our people. Meet me at my lab first thing in the morning and I shall have the specimens we need.

Your friend always,
Angelique

In a quiet manner she informs Isk she will be going into Magincia to retrieve several specimens of the plant, only to be reminded, "Together Always, Angel" by him. "Very well dear, let me call Mama to stay with the children tonight. We shall go into Magincia and gather the plants when there are the fewest people out", she replies, adding, "Together", with a smile.
Savhanna
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to aid Angelique, her guild sister, in her work, and help the honorable city of Magincia, Savhanna gathers up as 8 Guardians and sets them to the task of obtaining any ingredient, great or small, that Angelique and Alizia require for their work. "Godspeed ladies", she utters to Angelique and Alizia with a tear in her eye, "Godspeed".
Sadira Reflov
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Alizia just gazes upon the book in front of her. She was composing a list of people she suspected. Her first thought was of this man name Balbanes and his guild. She just lightly tapped the tip of her quill against the paper.

"Mmm he said just ask this Balbanes cause he has a tendency of confessing. Should I try to set up a meeting with this man?"

She pondered over her talk with Vaen. As she moved deeper into thought, she started to nibble on her lower lip. Days have passed since the plague..days since she knew what a pillow and bed were. She gazed lazingly over towards the bed. The sheets were dark just like the city she currently found herself in. Umbra had so many books and any of them could hold the cure. Not only that anyone that had something against Humanis or their city could have read up on such and then delievered the vile plants. She sighs and moves placing the quill down and dons on her "disguise." She then steps out the door and locks it moving towards the bank. While gazing through some items that she needed to get rid of and seeing she had enough money, she felt eyes upon her. At first she tensed up but then relaxed. Suddenly before she realizes it, a man was standing closer to her. He leaned in and whispered.

"I am sorry to hear about Khay'Thall."

She turned to look upon the man, and saw a smirk of defiance and near victory. But before she could utter a sound, the man was gone. She just wanted to run to see whom he was...to follow him. Then it dawned on her, had her husbands friend died? She quickly returned to her room at the Inn. She sent Dove to Drake. She was relieved that the worst had not happened yet. She sent to Drake the ingredients that were needed to finish the first batch of what is hoped to be the cure. Told him to give word to Angelique. She finished most of it, only a few more things were needed then it woud be done. After she sent it, she noticed the man through the window. She quickly left her room and before she knew it he was there in the lobby. She stopped and just watched him. He went into his own room then shut the door. She went outside and to the area where his room would be. She then peeked through the window, trying not to be seen. Who was he? How did he know? Is he to be another suspect? When she saw him resting for the day, she left and returned to her room. Her eyes were getting heavy, but she would fight it. Slowly picking up the quill she wrote:

Stranger in Inn

She pauses and looks upon it. What was his name? She would have to remain here til she found out what she needed. Before she could start another thought, the Sandman had won over finally. Her eyes closed as she started to dream of her husband Mark.
Angelique
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gypsy was busily completing the cure and preparing it for Khay'Thal when the pigeon landed on the railing. Mario, the baker friend of her young son, was sending her warning the tot had been spotted in Magincia alone.

Angelique leaves her equipment as is and races off to Magincia in a half panic. Those flowers were deadly to children, she had already sacrificed so much in the past years. As she races down the brick steets a healer stops her and summons her to dismount and follow him to the healers.
As she reaches the door he motions for her to "shhh". Looking down the row of beds she spotted him. Curled up on the bed in the arms of Khay'Thal, wiping the blood from his lips and beard with a towel.

Slowly she approaches and summons him to her. Athlon shakes his head. "Shhh he ni ni" Angelique quietly reminds her son of his promise to his parents not to come to Magincia, that he must come out of the bed and come with her now. In a sweet, non difiant voice, Athlon quietly told her no. With his sweet words he recalled the stories he had been told and reminded her, "Papa die in da bed wib ewe, Ank die in da bed wib ewe. Aaa fend no die lone. Aaa pomiz. Aaa tay!" There was so much truth in his words as he lay in the man's arms wiping the blood gently from his lips as coughed in his sleep. Angelique quietly shook her head, how could she argue with compassion such as that. "Very well, do not move then. Mama will be right back with his medicine."

Nodding to the healers, knowing they would not let him leave and he was safe she raced back to the lab to get the cure for Khay'Thal. The Elder Humanis had agreed to being the first to take her cure, knowing death was coming soon for him. When she returned to the healers with all she needed she found Khay surrounded by his Humanis brothers and sisters, all saying the needed goodbyes. Where was Isk? She could wait no longer, he was slipping away.

As her small son stayed close wiping the mans blood. she slipped the needle in his vein and forced the contents of the vial through. Hearing him coughing harder. Athlon holding the towel to his mouth as coughed up more and more blood, til all grew silent. The gypsy dropped her head and weeped, feeling the pain of those around her as well. All but Athlon.
He cleaned his new friends face and beard one last time and kissed his forehead before gathering up his mask and climbing from the bed, saying "bye bye fend".

Angelique opened a portal, instructing Athlon to go through to home and send his father back. Athlon was to stay home and clean up. Praising him that he had done well by his friend. The healers obtained a vial of Khay'Thal's still warm blood as she had instructed. She slipped it in her pocket and went to the patio for air. The questions making her head spin. Had she been too late? Was the cure not right? Would there be no end to this tragedy for Magincia?

All had departed, all save Rashid, when Isk arrived. She spoke to him briefly, then followed at a distance as he paid his last respects to his friend and mentor. She knew this was just the beginning of a long night. The gypsy knew her husband well, he would brood within himself, he would put walls, he would finally seek comfort in his Utopia. She did not need her crytals to show her how the night would play out.

Later back at the lab she compared the three blood samples. The first from Khay'Thal when she had started working on the cure, the part of that sample she had applied to the cure to test it, and the blood drawn after he had passed. Calling Gramps and Eva to come and confirm what she was seeing, the three stood in agreement. The cure had killed the toxins of the plant in the blood, but it had also killed the living parts of the blood. Heavy ladden with the thought that she may have taken Khay'Tal's life and yet would never know if she had or if he was dieing even as she slipped the needle in his vein, she returned home to an all but silent husband, and a remorseful, troubled child.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Crossroads Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: