Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Races
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:23 am Post subject: Races Reply with quote

Alright... so I was reading a thread somewhere else about vampires and elves and such... and about a general consensus of how these races should be played in UO..

So here is my thought... if some people would be willing to aid me, I will put up a website containing basic information, traits, behavior, etc. that we, as a community, feel that people should be aware of.

I realize that not EVERYONE will conform to it, but it would prove to be a good guide to what people should keep in mind when making an elf, drow, dwarf, vampire, lich, undead, and even human.

If anyone would be interested in helping, just let me know. Smile
Smogg
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:33 pm Post subject: Races Guide // Undeads Reply with quote

Good idea. I doubt everyone are going to agree on the same guidelines, but a guide could help a bit. Anyway here are my thoughts as far as races. Mostly concerned with the darker aspects:

General
Really try stick with one race. Changing background/race of your character tend to shatter how your surroundings see your char.

Elves and Dwarfs turning undead
I wont get into how to play elf or dwarf, but before deciding on an undead of either or turning undead, consider the motivations of your char carefully. It is much less likely that Elves or Dwarfs with a long lifespan will seek darker paths for the purpose of prolonging their life.

Overdoing it
Everyone seek to be unique in some way. Try focus on RPing your character with unique personallity instead of enhancing your background to be more special than everyone else. Playing an Ancient Wyrm, embraced by a 1st generation vampire while in drow form who then later performed a lich ritual and now have this and that power, just wont impress anyone. More likely let them think "yeah right..." despite the very fantastic background.

Turning undead vs Making an Undead char
Creating a character to be undead from the beginning has its advantages. You can be sure you get the kind of background you want, and it does not take much time either.
Letting your char start out as mortal though, then later to turn, will give much more memorable background to your char, not only for you, but for your surroundings as well. It is defenetly something to consider, if this is to be your main char.

The Paladin Note
I wished there would be more RP surrounding paladins and their shrine donations. Maybe small group rites of vitues in connection with these donations.

Undead Shapes
For years we have waited or hoped for these shapes. Now we have them. Let us NOT use them as various resist forms in combat or recall forms and whatever. Use them for RPing your characters race!
If you want to be supreme PVPer, thats great, but dont pretend otherwise then.

Ghosts / Spirits
Not RPed very often, but could be interesting indeed. Many come to a point where IC/OCC events makes them want to withdraw a char completly and delete him. But how about this... Have your char kill itself and RP him on as a vengefull ghost or spirit.
Either use the ghost form or the wraith form when playing. Maybe work up Sacrifice virtue to let your materialize from time to time.
Always keep in mind why your char is a ghost, and his prime driving goals. Maybe have a few items, that you are bound to. Let others command you around a bit (within reason), if they get hold of these things.

Banshees
Undead elven spirits. Same as spirits, but they are legendary for their deadly screams. The spell wither combined with a scream would be just perfect for this attack.

The Lich
For how to RP a lich. Well look back to Azalin. He has to be the prime inspiration.
Again, liches are created by powerfull necromantic rituals. Don't deny your char questing for the right components, books and spells do complete the transformation, and casting the ritual itself.
The lich shape comes with life loss, and it makes it dangerous indeed. On the other hand, your life essence is bound within a magical object somewhere, and you can therefore never truly die. While you char is more prone to attacks esp if you let him walk around with 0 HP, the true RP of a lich, gives you more freedom to mock death itself.
Encourage yourself to stay in lich form, maybe even take up scribing where you need lot of mana, and earn a bit of gold on the side.

The Vampire
Also with the vampire, there are many oputunities to turn in game. Seek out existing vampires, if you wish to be turned, maybe you will need to join guilds or make a bargain. Where and how your char is turned will be an important part of who you are. This is not fully in your control, allow yourself to play along and let fate develop your character.
Many kindred in game will want to find out what blood line you are part of, and who your sire is. Having a real background of embrace will add to the respect around other kindred.
"I was born half vampire half drow and raised by a dragon" is nothing compared to "My sire was Lady Kryste of OES".
With vampires there is the vampiric shape as well. Again along with disadvantages. My opinion is, live with them, and embrace the shape.
Vampires can even use steeds, though its a bit more troublesome.
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about making an undead character to go along with a roleplay background for one of mine.

What I was doing to do is make him a necromancer and have his natural form be a liche. He will be in human form to be able to hide somewhat around the community.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Elf has information on roleplaying an elf. Check the website...

http://www.asurherenion.com

It's pretty easy. Ask us, we can clarify any questions you may have.
Sir Robert
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would say for playing races (and others stuff in that area)
NOTHING COMES WITHOUT COST.

If you have x ability then ye should also accept y disadvantage. Nothing, in my eyes, is worse than taking all the good stuff from a race, but ignoring its bad sides. Thats for me not roleplaying, but powerplaying, like, creating a char to fit the race more or less just so that ye can have that one ability... Rolling Eyes

Though this be madnes, yet there's method in't
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, every race has its strengths and weaknesses, including humans.

If you decide to do a half-breed thing (like you want a drow and dont have the skin for it)... if your skin is REALLY white, don't even try. If you are tan, you might be able to pull it off, but remember that pure drow are very hateful of halfbreed drow, and halfelves take crap too, etc.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:27 pm Post subject: Elves Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, most of the races we play are already defined, like Elf and most of the Vampires. Even though I hate the idea of just using Whitewolf stuff, it is pretty entrenched into Atlantic, so we might as well use it.
As for elves, I say we use two different versions. Version one, is Elf, based on Tolkein.
Second would be D&D based really. Which I personally like better just because they dont live forever and arent immune to everything under the sun.
The language that is there is good actually, one thing that I do like.
The dwarves we had were based on basic D&D type stuff, which there really hasnt been any drastic changes between any settings.

So if we go by these basic things, get them posted, it would help greatly.
Especially with the undead types. Sure, some might take the info and say "I know all your weaknesses" but I would hope that most of us wouldnt and leave that up to people that wish to play Vampire hunters or what have you.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Roleplaying different races are indeed fun. The problem is people just think your a godmoder because you 'dont have any weaknesses' or something, and if people knew them, they'd exploit them to the end of the earth. I'm suprised people don't chase around drow with torches, expecting them to run away, for a cheap laugh.
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Want me to do an essay on playing a Human? Or an essay on playing a Scottish Highland born human?

I really think a basic idea of innate strengths and weaknesses of different races would help all of us.

Perhaps you could even break some of it down intto categories like:

Known traits:

Possible traits:

Mythical traits:

and the same for weaknesses? This might help explain the difference in abilities of some of the other races?

Just offering a hand...

Poet
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... that would be helpful....

What I want to do is combine all of the accepted views of different races into one page... a D&D elf *and* a strict Tolkien elf... so that a person does not get misconceptions or confuses the two.

One on humans would be fine Smile Just the common human of Britannia.

Your help is appreciated.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to D&D or Dragonlance for that matter, just ask me. I have mojo info.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Molly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Tolkken lore I am an expert as well. If I don't know I have all the books to find out.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure elves aren't immune to everything. They just don't get sick. I don't see anything wrong with not normally getting sick, except for magical means. How often have humans actually RPed being sick? I think some of you should go out and get colds once in awhile, just because it'd be fun!
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is basically what I'm looking for...

Humans

Dwarves

Drow

Elves

Vampires

Undead

Those are just a few to start it off... and of course it can be added to on a whim Smile
Grig'nag da Mojo
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess orcs are too well defined to be needed to post on what they are. Makes sense as you need only say "coolest creatures EVER" to pretty much have it down.

Course not much needs to be said about orcs in general besides warlike, proud, *generally* detest magic (unless you're one of those new freaks running around), muscular, likes ale, likes food....The major parts in a nutshell of the stormweavers. There are of course variations from orc to orc, but those tend to be the norm.

Can't we all just get along? No? Excellent.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: