Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

RP minus PVP?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Arlin
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:13 am Post subject: RP minus PVP? Reply with quote

I know it can be done!

Jus' playin'. But seriously, the other night I was having this conversation with the lovely lady Arcana, whom beats me relentlessly (help!). We came up with a few good ideas, but honestly, I found myself struggling to come up with anything....mindblowing.

We all tavern-sit and chat ideally and all that. But tell me, what other kinds of roleplay have you done that dont directly involve some kind of fighting? Maybe you can get that thing in my head...ya know...that muscle that dont lift nuttin...but it works...whats it called....brain? Ya! Get that brain workin in my lil head.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good idea to post it here.

The types of things Arlin and I were coming up with were the usual suspects of tournaments (controlled PvP) and the old standby quests of the scavenger hunt variety (so-and-so is lost... find them; we need ingredients and supplies to make...; etc.) which invariably end up having a scripted feel to them. What are some other good ways to encourage your new recruits to start RPing on their own and give them some practice in a setting that is a bit more "low stakes" than a major RP battle and doesn't revolve around tavern-sitting?

A while back, when I first started OSL with Middy and Aerindell, we held a fair that had four main events - an archery contest, chicken fights, a costume contest, and fortune telling. That pretty well stretched the limits of my creativity, ha! But it was fun and did go very well.
Silent Poet
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, we have held "Murder/Mystery" parties as a theme for an rp evening.

All wishing to participate take on a role and pretend to be someone whether it is the victim, conspirator, or collateral damage.

I fondly remember seeing two orcs pretending to be Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

This can be fashioned into a totally medieval feel.

You could have someone roleplay Brother Cadfael the mystery solving monk (actual mystery series).

Of course, story telling contests can be held, but I suspect there are many who find this boring.

I have been trying to think of a way to practice a medieval dance I know called hole in the wall, but you need at least 8 guys and 8 girls to see if it will work properly.

Another idea I had was to have a contest where teams of no more than 4 compete doing the Collector's Quest to see who can complete a statue the quickest. Winning team can either take the prize money say 100k or two of the completed statues. Second place can take say 50k or one completed statue. Third place gets 25k.

This would be assuming there are three teams. If the teams are 4 members, that only means two complete circuits for 4 or them and 2 more for two members.

I could even mark and donate runebooks with the runes I personally use and a guide suggesting what to do and when.

*rubs noggin*

I have a few more ideas if you want to hear them.
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intimately familliar with the collector's quest. *Grin*

I'd love to hear more ideas; keep 'em coming!
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Mass.

Available Sundays at 9 pm eastern standard time.

OES is not responsible for emotional damage.
Savhanna
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Magincia plague and the curing of it. Also the flower infestation and the curing of that. Those did involve the type of quest for ingredients Arcana spoke of as well as plenty of other RP. Angelique often finds much RP in secretive gypsy trading of items, and in the past a bit of scaming and theft. Now she is content with information gathering with a purpose and a trade here and there.

As far as oportunities for my newer guildmates, quiet tavern nights and dinners with invited guests I know will be tolerant of mistakes while exampling good RP is good.
Bailos
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

[[Realised I am sleep deprived and have seen that my post is no longer relevant]]

All I have to add is: The Brain is not a muscle, and that a murder mystery thing sounds like a blast for an RP event
Leshok Majere
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had thought of once holding a mass rp festival, meant to attract more people into the community, i wanted to put up a "dunk the orc" booth, this would have to be done in a fairly large group of rper owned houses, but the dunk the orc would be an orc sitting in a chair with a dart board behind him on the wall, you pay like some gold for a chance to throw a couple knives at the board, if you hit bulls eye, the people at the booth relentlessly chuck explosion potions at the orc, now why an orc you say? cause i want to see the orc make fun of people missing.

but thats just me, other wise, i remember when Kenol Ironfellow had written a play and we were going to put it on, but never happened, was a shame, i liked my part. and whose up for a race around the world using no moongates or recalling!

"Fri Jan 14 20:07:01 2005 [08:45:38] Kuja: ghaahahahahahha...ha..h.a..... NOTHING TO FREAKING DO IN GAME GAH"

Some things never change even after 4 years...
Tay Thormear
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT ONE I GOT ONE

It has to do with Leshok's idea. Perhaps we could hold a race across the map, from the top of minoc to the bottom of Trinsic. Now you say that it's not fair to the people with slower computers but heres the twist. Make it sort of like a scavenger hunt too, have some one prior to the race place things all around the map, ALOT of things depending on how many people race.

It wont be judged by who got to the end first, but who go to the end first with the most items. The person who placed them can inform people of what items are out there, and where they might find them. I can't say people wont cheat, but if people cheat than whats the point of even trying to have fun?
Sir Robert
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a scavenger hunt where you dont hunt for items (slay so and such many dragons for x ammount of scales) but where the items are given out by participating "controllers" after the questors managed to solve a puzzle or riddle.. (including the good ol "next location as riddle" thing)

Though this be madnes, yet there's method in't
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like some great ideas there..would be fun to see or maybe take part in something like Hummer and Sir Robert posted..hehe
Savhanna
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I found that many in my guild were not accustomed to using sextants. I held a sextant race with a riddle and the next coord at each point. It was on the honor system to turn off UOAM. Might not work well with a large group but it was fun as a guild thing.
Vierrae
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Rituals, prayers, conversions, quests, various things can be done besides just Tavern rp. Not only that, if you think on it... there can be many things that go beyond just pvp. In old days, scholars battled each other before Kings in battles of wit aka debate.
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, Draven has been involved in a 'plot', if you want to call it that, with me involving teaching Alexander how to focus and manipulate the elements in a more organized way. It's been really fun so far and I think we've both had a great time semi planning things and RPing other things.

It's not really a scripted plot, but it's not really something that has branched out very far from either of our visions of how it would go, either. At least not mine, anyways.

It's involved about zero PvP, it's really involved none but I like to go to Fel to train and study so sometimes I run into PKs or something, heh.

I actually do just go out and randomly do things at places, sometimes alone or sometimes I'll bring someone. I always think of it as studying, no matter what I'm doing, really.

I find it interesting to RP that out, even if I'm alone, because you never know who you'll run into, RPer or non RPer.
Acejuk
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a mad scientist creates a frankenstein.

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: