Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Troop movement/maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic

Should moongates be used only as facet transfer points?
Yes, that way we have to use roads to move troops
81%
 81%  [ 22 ]
No, we should be able to move troops anywhere anytime
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I've got a better idea! (comment below)
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

Arlin
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:22 pm Post subject: Troop movement/maps Reply with quote

Ok so like, Tarothins idea for troops brought up the idea of using moongates as facet-only transfer points. Now then, if we agree to use moongates only as facet transfer points, where would it dump them?

Also, using roads only opens up the oppertunity for RP guard patrols and permission to cross land and open and closed borders etc etc.

So do you all like that kinda idea? And also what are your suggestions regarding moongates and such, should there be a limit to how much they can move? (theres no point in transporting a caravan from the yew moongate to the minoc gate).

Last edited by Arlin on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lilyth Noir
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

In a caravan situation the only gate that should be used is one between facets if needed not between cities

my thoughts anyway, if you are from Malas or Fel or vice versa only use the moongates to get across facets, choose a gate close to your destination and start there on foot/horseback
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea may take longer to get somewhere but could add to the fun and add to the roleplaying I would think.
Bailos
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was Trade Minister you -had- to move anything material (shipments of goods) completly by land except for moongate facet-transfers.

I used the excuse that "all those troops with all those goods made the gate too unstable" er something like that, I dont remember.

On the flip side, when I had to deal with troops, I used the excuse "Transporting that many people was tough so I couldnt pinpoint" and gated them in -somewhere- that wasnt all that far away from my destination.

Example........I want to move troops to Luna, so I gate them to the big bridge to the south.

That always worked fine for me..too tough to keep people together over such a long trek if you do it much differently IMO
Merteoe
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on Taro's thread about this before I noticed this one, so you might want to read that too.

I think moongates should be used in any way they allow you to, but that recall/gate spells are not allowed. Move from point A to B using only moongates, but the path you take is completely up to you. A guild should start at their HQ and make their way to the raid. You *could* take the moongate near your HQ to shave time off the trip, but if you try to arrive at the moongate closest to your final destination, the enemy may have setup an ambush. Taking a round about, or staying off the roads, coming from behind or the flanks, etc. A guild will be rewarded for their tactics.

One of my characters joined up with a group of players once a while back. We swore off recall/gate and travelled on foot or horse everywhere we needed to go. It makes the game so much funner not being able to be everywhere at once. Alas I stopped doing that after our group fell apart, it's not rewarding to avoid recall/gate when no one else recognizes the restriction. But if guilds started to recognize that, then much fun can be had.

This is of course only for organized battles. I would suggest that this method be used for things such as land claims, etc. when all involved can get their people together and have an official march time, like "gather everyone at your HQs and start your march at 9est". The defenders will have time to setup, and proximity to a war will mean something. Setting up temporary forward posts would be rewarded (again, settled in the above manner) by allowing you to be closer to the action. For example, guild A and B are fighting a war. A wants to setup at a specific point (unknown to B exactly where) for staging operations for the above system. A coordinates with B at what time they can march (like above). A then makes their way anyway they wish. B tries to predict what area they will be attempting to take, setting up ambushes and using scouts to find A. A has to bring a packhorse with them to represent a caravan of supplies to establish a post. The packhorse cannot be attacked by B, but the wagondriver may. Anyone can be the wagondriver and others can take over if the original is taken out. If A gets the packhorse to the destination, A wins and sets up their post, allowed to start a march from that point. If B prevents it, then A must march from their HQ like before. A could choose a point close to B, which is riskier and more likely to be found and intercepted, but pays off if successful. Or they can play it safe and take steps, crawling their way to B (or wherever the ultimate battlefield is).

As you can see, it's one simple mechanic that can be used in many ways, and let's you break down a takeover into smaller battles. All it takes is coordination of the GMs from each side to say when the battle will take place and an agreement to abide by the recall/gate restriction.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailos' and I share the same idea about the moongate becomming too unstable.

Personally, I wish they'd bring back the old school moongate system..... *sheds tear*
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I hope we're still talking about raids and full troops. If I want to go have a word with someone, one on one...there is no way in hell im walking across the map to get to them.

So Im pretty sure your still talking about raids, full troops, attacking and what not. If so, great idea.
Merteoe
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this I only mean for "Battles"

Battles meaning organized raids, setting up outposts, any territorial related combat, land claims through force, etc. Anything with tangible outcomes. Inconsequential raids and chance skirmishes will proceed along as normal, but they cannot impact things like who takes over the whole of Yew or such, that would require a Battle imo.

And I think this makes sense looking back in literature. While individuals or even small groups in many fantasy settings could travel large distances with magic or other means, either their own or a companions, those powers were never enough to move entire armies. They still marched the old fashioned way, so messengers and such can economically use recall, if you want to try to fit in a reasoning. Even though a big battle may only involve a dozen members on each side in UO, in char I would imagine much larger conflicts with thousands of men maybe. Wars were fought with armies and you needed a large army for conquest. And those large armies are a wench to move. Smile
Scribble
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being able to gate is all fine and dandy if you have an army of nothing but warriors. By forbidding a gate to an army with mages I think you are supressing the value a mage brings to an army. Let guild leaders decide for themselves how their army is moved from point A to B. What will you do refuse to acknowledge a group that shows up in a gate? I would think if an army has a power, they should use it. If a person falls in battle are they forever dead? Do we not use powers of healing and ressurecting after or even during some battles?

I do agree that walking and encounterring patrols and things sounds like fun. If being encouraged to walk and not gate one should RP some long forgotten spell and curse the area to gates. Let folks that you wish to involve know that such a curse in in effect and thus the troop will have to make the long haul across vast lands in order to confront the enemy.

Making a rule that troops should not gate to a battle simply because people want to make it the norm without playing it out is not RP it is OOC agreeance.
Unity
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda funny, its common practice in DA! for any sort of anything to play it that way in the past and present. We have had many wars that war, caravans, We have also had marine patrols and battles that way aswell. I have many plans in this aspect coming up soon aswell, so yeah DA! is all for it and supports the idea.
Unity
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks up at Vaen* Also, by the way.. have I mentioned lately that I hate you? Man the old moongate system sucked, but I wouldnt mind them taking away the multi-facet option and giving us all sorts of differant moonstones...
Merteoe
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribble wrote:
Making a rule that troops should not gate to a battle simply because people want to make it the norm without playing it out is not RP it is OOC agreeance.

This is for organized Battles, which have always had OOC agreeance. No pets, GM armor, etc. is all OOC agreeance. Sure, you can DO a lot of things in UO mechanics, but most here will agree that's not the funnest way to do things.

I already gave *my* RP backing to the idea. I mentioned that these conquests are fought with a dozen members only maybe in reality in UO, but that for RP sake I would think it would be an actual army of significant size. I'd like to see you efficiently move thousands of men with the gate spell. Wink I'm sure others can come up with suitable reasons for not allowing gate, the point is that I'm offering up a suggestion on what we should do, and let the GM's work out exactly why (i.e., roleplay it out the way they want) Like any Battle, the leaders involved work out the conditions OOC. This is just another option that I hope many see the merit in.
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Reason:

It forces people to use roads creating a living breathing world outside of the taverns. Also possibly creating new focal points of activity based along Bandit camps, travelling caravans, and perhaps even raids by said bandits against the caravans.
Merteoe
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Orc would love to have random caravans and troops marching through their area, as would I. Smile
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... I remember Alarins IC reasoning.

You dont just gate with a pack horse that has massive amounts of resource in it. The gate could destabilize with that much junk in it.

Naturally the public moongates are much more stable and safe.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: