Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Fresh Blood
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mehalia
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a website and a lot of that information is readily available at one of the sites (I just can't remember the address atm. Lots of essays and player profiles). Perhaps we could move that stuff here, to have everything in one centralized, easy to find location. We can expand on and add to the essays that are currently listed there until we have a nice little library of information. We could also include OOC informational pages about the guilds in the community and links to guilds, categorized by alignment, like they are on the existing page. (OES had something similar on their page as:
http://www.ebonskull.org/links.htm) We could also make a place for player profiles for those who want to have one posted somewhere.

A guild tried hosting a job fair a while back and it seemed to be incredibly organized, but a lot of work. I wasn't able to attend, so I don't know how it actually turned out. We could organize something to the effect though. Its a good way to let other people out there know that the community exists and to help current members of the community learn more about your guild, which could enhance/further your RP with people you haven't currently been interacting with. And that is GOOD! I'm fairly good at organizing events and such, so if there is any interest in doing this- I'll get to work or help or whatever.

Quote:
I think the problem more lies in what happens after they join a guild.

Quote:
We lose people when we get distracted and don't do anything other than send them an ICQ about the weekly guild hunt. It takes mentoring and one-on-one interaction.

I couldn't agree with these statements more. Its hard for people who are new to the community to get involved, whether they are in a guild or not, because they find themselves lost in whats going on. One way to help that situation is to have the guilds assign mentors to new members to help them establish their character's place in the community. Guild only activities give new members a chance to feel involved as well.

Quote:
I think what we need is a Stormhaven 2.0. An RP town near a densely populated area, such as Britain, only difference being it be dedicated to "spreading the word of RP" versus being a guild in of itself. It could be run by people dedicated to teaching roleplay and war regulations, and guild leaders could frequent the town looking for recruits, and run into those wishing to join the community or even just check it.

This isn't a bad idea either, but it would be very difficult to implement because it would require a lot of time from those people who volunteered to run it. Not that it can't work, though. Just a neutral establishment, frequented by all types (evil, good,whatever,) but not run by any group in particular. I'm sure that sounds odd, but I have more thoughts that I will post later.

---

Events that take place in public areas (NPC towns and such) are good to build interest as well. We won't always get the type of people we want, but if guilds have an application system of sorts or joining policies, those types can quickly be weeded out.) And Kuja said: posting on websites is best in my mind. Why? Because people that want to know this stuff go out of their way to go to places like stratics. If people put any effort to finding it, they will, and they are probably going to be valuable to the community. I don't completely agree with his elitest views Very Happy, but I do agree that posting on the websites is a great way to reach out to people who aren't currently members who might have interest in playing with us, as well as a good way keep everyone (newbies and old timers alike) up to date with whats going on in each guild.

Okies. Thats all I have to say. For now.

<3 Xinavane.
Malicite
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Um I had an idea for this long ago...I suggest that we have a huge party that was well advertised for that had the express purpose of bringing people into the community. We would set up "tables" for each guild assisting and they would have a book or something explaining their guild. Could have some games or something to draw people in and let them have fun doing it.
-Mal
Molly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:52 pm Post subject: Party/recrutement drive Reply with quote

I would be willing to help set one up. I have done them before and many guilds got some great people from them. Advertising on Stratics and using books and having gaters at places like Haven work great.
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Prince Valkrye of OPG
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to form a recruitment union (hereby referred to as "Union") which would be comprised of at least 2 representatives from each participating guild. In addition to "job fairs" and other events the Union would meet monthly to discuss important topics such as recruitment strategies, each guilds specific needs in a candidate, the type of people they are looking for, etc. etc.

Each meeting would also be a public event with an open forum so as to attract the common passer-by while in session. The relative quiet but not too desolate east Britain area seems most appealing. While you want to attract legitimate applicants at the same time you'll be able to conduct business without the interruptions or hassle of the all too frequent spammer or griefer.

The Union would function as any other organization, a general body of members with elected officers (President, VP, secretary, etc.) who would follow the rules of professional order. Some of the events that the union could sponser in addition to a standard recruitment drive would be staging RP'ing events, small tournaments, even a mock public trial. Something just enough to give the aspiring candidate a taste of what RP is like and guild life in general. If I were a young player or a pervious vet who has returned to UO after after a time and was looking to jump back into the swing of things and saw a meeting or some of these events taking place I would be very intrigued and most of all, interested in becoming involved. Please feel free to comment. One possible name for the Union would be the "Atlantic Guild Members Recruitment Association Union" Thank you.
Garak_HalfOrc
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big problems I noticed was that alot of times unless your known in the RP circle your ignored or there is no room for you as a major role in a story. I've been a off and one part of this community a long time as my persona of Gorem Grimblade (For those old Stormhaveners and O/Sers) and I made a new char just to try a experiment. I walked into Hanse one night on the char and attempted civil RP (not dewdish or power gaming, just a wandering minstrel) and was completely ignored for the better part of a hour by many. But as soon as I broke out the "This is Gorem" OOC. I had everyone chatting up a storm with me.

I've been gone a long time cause UO lost its appeal both RP wise and mechanics wise (This was when you couldn't walk through the streets of Sanctus and Hanse's w/o seeing atleast 3 fights) I went in the other night to attempt to RP. I had exactly 2 people interact with me. Isilmea cause she knew I was going in. And Ditto. (Thanks Ditto! That made my night after a rough night Smile )

Sit back and honestly think how many times you've blown a person off cause they didn't bear a RP guild tag or ya didn't know em. I'll admit to being guilty of it too. Just food for thought Smile
Ditto Quantum
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks Garak, but it was a shared rp fun. You helped to make my night too! And I found Garak to be a softhearted sweetie. It was fun.

I'm not sure how "known" I am & not to sound rude, but that doesn't really matter to me. I just play to rp my char & have fun. I'm ignored alot too, especially by Taro, hehe. The way I see it, the majority of the time, people aren't trying to ignore anyone. Usually, they have an rp story conver going on that they have to keep track of (and the more people around talking, the harder that is) or maybe they're trying to settle problems over icqs, parties, and whatnot. Or it could be that, it's not that they aren't nice people when you get to know them, it's just that alot aren't really the warm and welcoming type of character. (Take Azreal. If he suddenly started to strike up pleasant conversations with a stranger to help them feel welcomed, I'd be inclined to check him for a fever.) Some aren't necessarily evil, but might be rp'ing characters who feel themselves slightly or drastically above other people, especially orc types. And then there are those, usually the soldiers/military type, who, good or evil, might not go to you to say hello, but are for the most part, very friendly or at least attentive (duty allowing) if someone says Hello to them first. Women & Orcs seem to be the most willing to just come over and start talking. Has anyone else noticed that? lol
I'm fortunate in a way because I rp a character who is VERY people friendly. Very outgoing. Most don't. And yes, to a large degree, characters are caught up in their own little world sometimes and don't always see outside it. Especially if their caught up in some good rp story stuff at the time. I'm guilty of this too. Often. And half the time I end up seeming to ignore not only people I don't know, but my friends too. Sad
I keep hearing some of the same names of people being called ooc "snobs" or having "snobish" behavior. I don't know everyone in this community, and I know there are a SMALL handfull of actual snobs in it, but at least to me, I think most of what people see as snobs are mostly just very busy ingame people. (like having say 5 close friends and they all want to chat, while you have 20 other people who want to speak with you about some upcoming ingame event, while your trying your best to juggle 3 different RP situations/stories that you happened to stumble into. And all of that in a limited ammount of time since UO is only a 24/7 for your character, but not for most people irl, lol).
It takes time.....lots of time, and unfortunatly, I think most characters, be it vet players or newbie ones, will have to go the extra mile for a little while to be seen & heard, or taken seriously. At least, in the beginning until people start to get to know you.
The best I can say is, dont worry if your known or worry about what other people think. Just play for the rp and for the fun of it. Be your character, do what he/she would do, and through time & occassional frustration, that character will have made a few friends & had a few good & bad rp times making them.
Umm..I guess thats all...I'm gonna go grab a nap since I have to get up in a couple of hours. LOL
*HUGS* Many wishes for good luck & good times to you, Garak. Smile
Savhanna
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have played the unknown character trying to break into the community and it was an eye opener. I know as a new guild it can feel very hard at first too, not just the individual. Ditto is right it does take time to go out of our way to be welcoming to new people, and many of us can be very busy, dealing with on screen and icq or irc and whats going on in your home as well. But it is worth giving it a try and seeing how it feels to be on the other side of that fence for a week or so. It might open your eyes and as a community more of us might make go that extra mile to extend a hand and be more welcoming.

The idea of using Stormhaven may have merit but I would like to see the GM post on this thread and give his ideas. It is not up to us to decide what they need to boost their community. Nothing can be more offending then having someone else tell you what needs to be done to improve your guild or town. It's impossible to know the desires of a guild or the direction they wish to take from the outside looking in. If anyone has direct contact with him, maybe they could speak with him and direct him here.
Vahn Roughnight
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with using Stormhaven again. To me the palce has sentimental value in a way sicne its where i first learned about rp. At first i just sat around watching others rp and I slowly learned from others, sure I made some mistakes but i learned from them. I really do hope life is put back into Stormhaven. It was a great place in its golden age and I'd like to see it that way again in the future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to post anything you'd like on Stratics. I will keep the posters in line as best I can, which normally is pretty good since I don't often have problems. From what I've seen, events go over better than guild recruitment things, so I'd suggest posting an event for guild recruitment instead of just posting that your guild is recruiting.
Illu
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in Stormhaven's days when I was their Diplomat... and a lady named Savhanna was entering a meeting, and when I asked what was going on I was met with something along the lines with "You aren't in a guild." and ignored when at the time I had temporarily removed my guild tag... if that was the same person as you, Savhanna, I'm glad your eyes have been opened because that was a very bad thing to do.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: