Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

New Consensus Project Recruiting, Looking for Members Now!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Aleph
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:49 pm Post subject: New Consensus Project Recruiting, Looking for Members Now! Reply with quote

Is your guild looking for a place within the Atlantic Roleplay Community?

Are you interested in building a community with a foundation of fairness, equity, quality roleplay and exciting creativity?

Do you want leadership on this shard that you can trust?
Do you want leaders that you can believe in?
Do you want to see these leaders working together to solve problems?
Do you want stories and adventures that revolve around events that occured in-game?

Are you tired of waiting for the Atlantic Community to stop their OOC bickering and start the IC intrigues?

Are you sick of watching our community spend more energy and time reacting to posts containing OOC slander and flames than they do in game, actually roleplaying?

Over the years, the Atlantic Roleplay Community has worked hard to find a process that while allowing established roleplayers (both organizations and individuals) to work together, also allows for new people to join in the fun. Whether it is political intrigues, fanciful plots, epic battles or upbeat events and activities of all kinds, this community has used many different methods to support the vision of a more robust roleplay community.

Each of the ideas that have come before are responsible for where we are now. What I mean to say specifically is that the ideas from the past were important, and at the time they were introduced they served a vital purpose. With each idea, the entire community grew and changed and matured. All of the groups (and group decisions) of the past were met with some incredibly trying times. The outcomes varied from exciting, at the best, to horrifying, at their worst.

And while it is important to take into account the structures of our past, reminiscing will never take place of the work we must do right now, in this moment, to arrive at the best of our collective future.

And so, with the groundwork of my proposal out of the way, I'd like to outline my plan for a new organization, founded on the very same principles that inspired groups like the BWC, the Consensus and the TIP/TWP. The Consensus remade, read on for F. o. Y., or Focus on You. The new roleplay members only group!

What follows are the rules, they make up the expectations for all members. It has been designed to be elitist, please let me know if it works!

• Membership in this club involves no meetings, but a huge amount of work.

• Members will have spent time working on the details of their characters. They are not expected to have allt he answers in place, but they are expected to actually play a role on purpose.

• Members of FoY will have no time to participate in OOC bicker sessions, because they will be too busy in-game, working out clues, creating solutions to harrowing in-game dillemmas, attending politically charged town council meetings and fighting the opposing side with all the brain, brawn or bravado they can muster.

• FoY members refuse to criticize, as they are far too busy focusing on their best roleplay work and how it best serves the community at large.

• Members of FoY will belong to guilds or organizations because it makes sense to their character, and their characters will be able to speak to the reason they do what they do in game.

• Members of FoY will, at times, let the opposing side win- because its more fun when roleplaying is taken out of the realm of winners and loosers, and into the realm of maximum dramatic impact for all involved.

• Members of FoY will do everything they can not to Smile or LOL or ROFL, although members will *laugh* *smile warmly*, *watch you closely* or *turn red with fury*.

• Members of FoY are not obligated to speak in ye olden thyme Englisheth.

• Members of FoY shall endeavor, as best they can, to speak and make sense, even if it means their character does not make sense on purpose.

• Members of FoY will think hard on what their character would say before they come close to hitting the enter key.

• Members of FoY will take care of their own people and the problems said people might create.

• Members of FoY will seek to spend more time leading by example through superlative roleplaying.

• Membership in FoY is secret, and no one talks about it.

• People who are not members of FoY will be easy to spot.

• A member of FoY will never, ever point out a non-member, nor will they speak to the reasons why.

• A member of FoY will only post to sensitive threads on Atlantic Roleplay Boards with suggestions and ideas for problem solving.

• A member of FoY treats everyone with success, and believes that everyone should have a chance to be the best villan or hero they wish to be.

• FoY membership is only available to leaders.

• FoY membership is open to everyone.

• FoY members will only add ideas to this list that they apply to themselves, They will only speak to roleplay approaches that work with a group or organization they are responsible for.

So, there you go. It's pretty revolutionary if you think about it- I mean, what happens to a community when people just stop trying to make things work, and work on their contribution to the solution instead?

Silent Consensus? Now there's an idea who's time has come.
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright:

Though I am quite sure that you mean the best with your idea for a "New Concensus" this "FoY" idea will not work.

If we focused on ourselves a greatdeal of problems would have never been solved. My favorite example, Lmt, if we had "lived and let live" they would still be around loling and :)ing and saying that they want more land because they have more people.

Also this will not magically solve ANYTHING. Personally I spend an unhealthy amount of time on my character, my RP, and very little on anyone else's. What I do involve myself OOC and on the boards with is plans for the community like this, or new ideas for a war plan, or things like Yew.

And I think instead of focusing on "ourselves" we need to focus on the community, and continue working on bettering the community as a whole.

Also, only a matter of time until more "open-minded" (for lack of a better word) people start claiming that you are elitist because your plan excludes Non-RPs. People who go on and one about how those who post a great deal because they care about the community don't go IG and just troll the boards are those that I have rarely if ever seen IG in any sort of meaningful RP fashion.

A great deal of people have been letting evil prevail over good and vice versa. It just makes things more interesting. i mean, look how OES got Arlin out of Umbra!

Another point is that criticising is not the sort of action that should be avoided but rather encouraged as it brings your faults to light and encourages you to better yourself. I want criticism, I encourage it, I love it.

This plan will not provide "leaders", or encourage participation but just a holier than thou attitude because "I keep my mouth shut more than you!"

Excessive internal reflection leads to apathy and stagnation.
Dominatria
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Horace, I've yet to see you in game since my return. Your posts, however, are all over the place, most of which lack any constructivity at all.
Quite simply, your reply has no place in this thread and holds as much water as a colander.
(btw, Im in SES, and have been for about a week now. I checked uo.com, and evidently you're in OES. I had no idea.)

Now that that is out of the way, perhaps instead of bashing this admittedly utopian idea, the rest of its readers will take it for what it is. A guideline to a better community. Even just a small effort towards the above rules could make for improvement overall.
Instead of fearing change, why not embrace it?

-Dom
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea to me I'd be willing to give it a try..
Lilyth Noir
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aleph! Nice to see your name again *hugs*

I would be willing to give it a go, followed you once......will happily again
Arlin
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 ya Horace, but dont bash it till ya try it

This seems right up your alley Horace. Elitist, strict roleplayer. Why not give it a shot first, or at least give some of the ideas a chance.

Hell I will (and have) give most things a try. 'Sides, Aleph be smart, he aint ever led us wrong before.
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominatria wrote:
Horace, I've yet to see you in game since my return. Your posts, however, are all over the place, most of which lack any constructivity at all.

"Horace" the character is imprisoned. Horace has been on his alt. I've seen him in game a lot.
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Membership in this club involves no meetings, but a huge amount of work.

Translation: This is not a strict organization requiring you to attend meetings, debate rules, induct new members or whatever other things happen at meetings

Quote:
Members will have spent time working on the details of their characters. They are not expected to have allt he answers in place, but they are expected to actually play a role on purpose.

Translation: People will have a character for their characters. Personalities etc.

Quote:
Members of FoY will have no time to participate in OOC bicker sessions, because they will be too busy in-game, working out clues, creating solutions to harrowing in-game dillemmas, attending politically charged town council meetings and fighting the opposing side with all the brain, brawn or bravado they can muster.

Translation: Don't fight amonst ourselves. Spend the time in game instead actively roleplaying.

Quote:
FoY members refuse to criticize, as they are far too busy focusing on their best roleplay work and how it best serves the community at large.

Translation: Don't pick on other's faults. Spend the time instead creating bettter roleplay for yourself and others.

Quote:
Members of FoY will belong to guilds or organizations because it makes sense to their character, and their characters will be able to speak to the reason they do what they do in game.

Translation: Join guilds and/or organizations that make sense with your character and his beliefs. Don't join because your friend is running it or because you want a character in the guild that does all the good pvp. Make sure that you agree with the roleplay of the organization and its members.

Quote:
Members of FoY will, at times, let the opposing side win- because its more fun when roleplaying is taken out of the realm of winners and loosers, and into the realm of maximum dramatic impact for all involved.

Translation: Do not refuse to involve yourself in plots that you know you can not win. Also, do not script your events so you always win. Treat plots like life, you don't always come out on top.

Quote:
Members of FoY will do everything they can not to or LOL or ROFL, although members will *laugh* *smile warmly*, *watch you closely* or *turn red with fury*.

Translation: Stay in character at all times. Avoid using "chat shortcuts"

Quote:
Members of FoY are not obligated to speak in ye olden thyme Englisheth.

Translation: Roleplay does not require medieval English.

Quote:
Members of FoY shall endeavor, as best they can, to speak and make sense, even if it means their character does not make sense on purpose.

Translation: Try to spell correctly. Try to form grammatically correct sentences. Caveat: If that is not the way of your character, then what you are typing should still be able to be comprehended by other players.

Quote:
Members of FoY will think hard on what their character would say before they come close to hitting the enter key.

Translation: Don't let your anger get the best of you and let yourself blow up. Take time to calm down and consider carefully what you want to say. Never erupt into cursing and slander.

Quote:
Members of FoY will take care of their own people and the problems said people might create.

Translation: Take care of your people and solve problems they create. Do not ignore problems in hopes they go away or work themselves out.

Quote:
Members of FoY will seek to spend more time leading by example through superlative roleplaying.

Translation: None really needed but... .Lead by example in your roleplaying habits.

Quote:
Membership in FoY is secret, and no one talks about it.

Translation: No one will know if you are in FOY. It is not a formal organization so thefore you will not be inducted by anyone, you will not report to anyone. YOU DECIDE IF YOU ARE A MEMBER AND IT IS UP TO YOU TO HOLD YOURSELF UP TO THE STANDARDS OF THAT MEMBERSHIP.

Quote:
People who are not members of FoY will be easy to spot.

Translation: Good roleplayers who are kind, courteous, stay in character, lead and create within the community and rarely cause troubles can be assumed to be members. If people are living by these standards, they will stand out.

Quote:
A member of FoY will never, ever point out a non-member, nor will they speak to the reasons why.

Translation: Don't point fingers at people that are not living up to these standards. Don't publically denounce them. Don't berate them to others even in private.

Quote:
A member of FoY will only post to sensitive threads on Atlantic Roleplay Boards with suggestions and ideas for problem solving.

Translation: Don't add fire to threads that have become flame wars. Instead offer helpful suggestions. Try to solve the problem. Try to calm the situation.

Quote:
A member of FoY treats everyone with success, and believes that everyone should have a chance to be the best villan or hero they wish to be.

Translation: Treat everyone else nice and give them the freedom to be the best they can be. Do not try to break them down and ruin their character or their roleplay experience

Quote:
FoY membership is only available to leaders.

FoY membership is open to everyone.

Translation: Be a leader. Lead by example.

Quote:
FoY members will only add ideas to this list that they apply to themselves, They will only speak to roleplay approaches that work with a group or organization they are responsible for.

Translation: Make suggestions to ideas that fit your organization or your roleplay. Do not try to dictate how things will be run if they do not apply to your character. For example, if you are in a pacifist organization that will not ever be involved in war, do not try to be involved in changing the accepted rules of warfare. Let the people who use the systems, design the systems. Concentrate your efforts to improve or change things towars things that effect you.

Aleph's post was a very well thought out and original way to say "Let's all quit fighting and instead choose to concentrate on making a better community that is truly active, friendly and inviting to all.
ICQ - 35574276
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all are missing Aleph's point. he was trying to avert your attention from the current on board fighting and flaming. He made a suggestion that though may or may not work, its still constructive that he has brought it forward and hoped that the community as a whole would contribute as well. When someone else forms an opinion on it, do not attack their IG time or persona just because you haven't seen them IG. Thats not what this thread is about.

Sure, some issues he mentioned may seem questionable to some of us, but overall, its constructive. I know by saying this that I too make mistakes and join the bandwaggon. I am human after all. This thread was not ment to become one that was critisized, but critiqued (to form an opinion based off of what you see and make suggestion to improve what you see).

Like all boards, Your allowed to state your opinion on the subject, just don't let the subject change by attacking someone elses's opinions or their play time.

Aleph, I thank you for this post. By posting it, I think now understand what you really ment by it. And thank you for bringing me to a new level of clarity.
Nick
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Lodi for the win!

*Silently consents*

Saints of the True Covenant Web Page
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That also means that you have to stop posting on the asylum. Nick!

Also, this is a bit more tounge in cheek than we are all takeing it as.

My char is Seryas Triasmos. He is around a lot.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say this is a good post. Its pretty much what I try to do now. Read the boards once or twice a day, dont post too often though.

My IG wife would be in on this too im quite sure. She is a fantastic RPer.

Good ole Aleph, shame your not around as much.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I don't fear change and want a better community, what have you done for this community Dom but abuse your mod powers back in the day?

Something that I do like from this post is encouraging peopel to do what makes sense IC. That is a thing that is lacking from most of the community (including myself at times). And the speaking out against dewd speak, is something that I hold close to me.

But the isolation and the "Don't criticize" and so on... are ideas that although are well intentioned will lead to stagnation.
Dominatria
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'd rather the issue die, I'll respond once more.

Firstly, I did not realize you were Seryas. For that, I apologize.

Secondly, I never abused my mod powers. I took matters into my own hands in getting a chaotic forum under somewhat control. If you were an ass, your posts were deleted. I deleted friend and foe's posts alike. Let me remind you the reason we have these nice shiny new forums is because the old ones sucked. My modship was a last ditch effort in saving them.

Thirdly, I was once Vice Mayor of Moonglow and before that Officer of External Affairs for Wilmeth. I was also a Lieutenant of the Black Dog Mercs on another chracter. I guess you could say those were my "claim to fame", though I fail to see how that is relevant. Any other credibility I may have/lack is solely because of my roleplay. I'd like to think that that is what's important, and not the popularity contest that many try to make it out to be.

-Dom
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lsiten Dom, you and I are in the same boat there, where are we in the popularity contest? I mean, you and I are around Franco in popularityion this community.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: