Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

New Consensus Project Recruiting, Looking for Members Now!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Aleph
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Horace Telver wrote:
Hey lsiten Dom, you and I are in the same boat there, where are we in the popularity contest? I mean, you and I are around Franco in popularityion this community.

I think if you were to dissect what lies at the root of every conflict on this board, you would find that the concept of "popularity", and people's perception of their "popularity" as a major factor.

Thoughtful critique and friendly advice is an important part of any group process- you are correct, its a concept that's fairly elementary. However, this community does not subscribe to thoughtful critique.

Some people are masterful at it, to the degree that you want to ask them more questions to better understand your own character-

Sadly, the majority of our conflicts don't operate like that. Invariably, any challenge in this community is met with hostility at the outset. Constructive criticism doesn't happen- problem solving gets lost in another round of who hates who more, who's laundry is dirtier, and how many other people say so.

Stagnation occurs when things don't change. For the record, I think you missed the part of my post that talked about avoiding name calling and mud slinging and moving right to solutions, avoiding the negative, ascerbic commentary all together.

Any proactive roleplayer wants to solve problems. And in my opinion, a problem solver is a leader. Is there a problem? Then let's cut to the chase and talk about solutions without the useless negativity.

There are some people who feel like things are stagnated. If the community shifted their tactics away from finger pointing and saber rattling to thoughtful commentary, roleplay would be more fun for everyone.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said good sir. *nods in agreement with Aleph*

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Just common sence that post...

thumbright thumbleft

I'll add two:

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you
-Samarithan story...Bible

Treat all matters of importance lightly. Treat all light matters with the greatest importance.
-Boedhist

(I'll explain the last one in UOish: Don't be soo much concearned with big plots, wars and 'changing the cummunity'...make sure that your own roleplaying is outstanding and the rest will follow)
Vipralion
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in this for sure except for the little part of me not being active in UO right now.

It may be possible for me to come back very soon or not very soon. Depends on the reliability of the people in my way.

I also would like to try to create a new guild too. I've been so inspired and don't want to not try at all. Got to at least try it right?

I stilll want my other guild to work too. You know, the Ilshenar one which is supposed to be a small guild that rp's itself into a large guild?

~Vip
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

*claps for Aleph* I'd be willing to give his post a try... sounds like a kickass idea to me.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this was a well said post in my mind, i mean after all, if you don't want to be "part of this group" you don't have to be, but you could be part of it and not know it.

Its just telling people to get out and rp(i intend to do that within the week to come, since things are rapping up)

and thanks lodi for the easy to read translation.

if you don't like it, ignore it, if you like it, do it!

"Fri Jan 14 20:07:01 2005 [08:45:38] Kuja: ghaahahahahahha...ha..h.a..... NOTHING TO FREAKING DO IN GAME GAH"

Some things never change even after 4 years...
Unity
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Aleph sir, you always were the one to put it blunt, werent ya.. Good to see you around posting again, been a long time since I personally saw you post like that. Also my opinion, great concept if wveryone actually put time into trying to understand it and make it really work for everyone, the community is still a community, we just need to work on our people skills.

I was told several times comint out of a fight with my opponents by my boxing instructor / coach, "You can never respect anyone else if you dont respect yourself. How could you ever expect to care about someone if you dont care what happens for yourself." Int hat time it ment to stop walking into a figth not caring if i got hit or not as long as they fell down and start to focus on not getting hit and still makign him fall down.

All in the same lines, we as a community need to start truely caring about ourselves and the community. We all, myself included and I am trying to force myself to follow this rule already, but we need to all partake in ending hte OOC bickering, fighting, and hate. We are all here as a community, int his room as the leaders of the community and as Aleph said, eacha nd everyone of us should already be memebrs of the FoY club, group, clique, so many words for it.. but they all boil down to we are a community, guess we should all try harder.. again I include myself in that 100%
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

No we all "shouldn't", if you mean "Member" You mean not attacking others by saying "u n0 arr p33 guud!" then yes we should. But the specifics of this idea are utopian, unrealitstic, and will just lead to a stagnating of the community.

Aleph by his own admission says that the community now is more advanced, more organized than it has ever been. Therefore we should use this new found organizatin to organize more, create higher standards of RP, and organize, and fformalize what we already know.

This idea, though iguided by the best of intentions, will not work.
Aleph
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Horace Telver wrote:
No we all "shouldn't", if you mean "Member" You mean not attacking others by saying "u n0 arr p33 guud!" then yes we should. But the specifics of this idea are utopian, unrealitstic, and will just lead to a stagnating of the community.

Aleph by his own admission says that the community now is more advanced, more organized than it has ever been. Therefore we should use this new found organizatin to organize more, create higher standards of RP, and organize, and fformalize what we already know.

This idea, though iguided by the best of intentions, will not work.

The community is doing better, that much is true. But, better than bad isn't always good- and Atlantic has some work to do. Things aren't as chaotic as they were at one time, and yes, I think the community has evolved. But I'll bet you there isn't one person who would dissagree with me when I say there is much, much more work to be done.

Horace, I want you to know that I totally, emphatically, 100% dissagree with you. I think you are absolutely incorrect in your assessment of my post, and frankly, I don't think you truly understood the fundamentals of it from the outset... and you know what?

That's ok. No one is asking you to fill out a membership card, you don't have to do anything more, no one is expecting that you will only do things "one certain way". No one will be excluding you because of a differing opinion, I gaurantee you that much. Honestly? I think we might just be exchanging the finer points of the very same personal commitment and roleplay philosophy.

I'm glad this struck a cord in folks, these concepts are important things to consider when, as a group, we set out to strengthen our community. Kinda makes me excited for things to come.

Oh, before I go... I just want to say that although there isn't an official group, per se, I believe in what FoY talks about. I know it would work, and work well. So, neener.

And on that note,
Vierrae
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been focusing on myself and my guild for sometime. Those that know me anyway. I don't necessarily hate anyone unless they've done things to jeopardize friendships or cause ooc grief. There is only a few I dislike, but hate is pretty strong. I also think the way some people handle things maturity wise isn't that great but overall I think things can improve. I'm not sure if this idea of yours will work or not, but regardless. I will continue to roleplay, work on my guild and do my thing. Afterall, it's all about roleplaying. Just expressing my two cents.
Molly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbright thumbleft
But then I am sure you already knew that Aleph. *smiles softly and hug him* Nice to see your name on the boards again. *winks* Missed you!
Sanctus, Luna, Malas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoGDbJ5nLU
Unity
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote

*Hugs Dom* No matter what Horace says your alright in my book.

Besides that, I think it could work out well if the closed minded people aswell as the open minded ones of the community would pull together and work as a team, dont fight it as if it is a bad thing.. Its nothing more than a good thing posted ment to draw everyones attention to pull together nad realize we are a community and we are all supposed to be role players here to equilly work togetehr nadf have fun.. We all need to work on it as a community.. ALL OF US, thats what it all boils down to. I mean people argueing in this thread itself proves the point that Aleph is correct... Come on people.. Lets all work together?
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: