Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

A pathetic excuse for our history.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:38 am Post subject: A pathetic excuse for our history. Reply with quote

After reading this pathetic excuse of a guide to 'Atlantic History', I feel a community project is in order.

We need to band together, and as a community, write a guide to the roleplay history of Atlantic. From beginning till now. All of it.

Even if OSI doesn't accept it and publish the same way as the pathetic piece of dung linked to above, we will at least have done something as a community.

This is a hard project though... How will we record it all? Any ideas on how to do this?
Serpentine
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the famous people on the shard, we had to have this idiot write our history. Anyone could do better. Why?

Roleplayers often have incredibly detailed, comprehensive histories of the entire server from the first player city. Diehard PvPers will know every major power guild that ever existed and what their secrets were. Venerable merchants will know who ran what when and why they were so successful. LLTS knows only about themselves, and frankly, nobody else gives a frack.
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Ziggy the mongbat could write something better, and it would be like "Ziggy's great great great grand father ate cheese in the Hungry Halfling. Ziggy likes cheese."
It looks like a highschool essay, it tries to make itself look all dignified. But, is so blatant about it, you can't help but notice.

Looking over the threads about it on Stratics makes me really wonder. A lot of the stuff other people mentioned I have heard of. And yet a lot of it wasn't even mentioned in that piss poor essay.
Rellik
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I have not been invoved in the Rp community for as long as alot of you therefore I don't know alot about the history before I cam along.But Kuja you do have a point that thing was pathetic and maybe about 5-8 of the oldest rp players that have been here from the begining should do something and see if you all can't submit it....You know as many times as they mentioned The Syndicate you would almost think of it as a promotional ad not a history on the shard,not even half way down I thought to self "this had to be written by a LLTS member". Sure enough was..
Lilyth Noir
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, thats pretty damn pathetic stuff there. I've slowly been working on a History of Yew, and I do mean slowly.

Hope that piece of trash gets reworked soon, since when are server wars a part of ..bleh....nevermind
Cassiopea
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuja, are you volunteering to collect and organize everyone's input of the history of Atlantic? If so I think many would be willing to give up their time to write what they remembered or took part in.

Zym Dragon has a glorious history of Rivendell, which I believe was the first blessed player run town. Something that was very hard to accomplish, just ask any old OES'r since many of us still feel Caina should have been added to the short list. (Blessed towns are something newer ones are unfamilar with since they don't occur any longer).

Azalin is still around and could tell of the early days of organizing roleplaying guilds, the Concensous, the lore and the historical battles and events from long ago. Other older ones that partook of the shaping of the community's foundation still linger on as well.

Some simple things from the past are: server wars; groups jumping on Baja or Pacifie during server downtime until Atlantic returned (which could be two hours or more of a wait); black cloth that used to be very rare; runes without rune books; feeding your horse and yourself constantly; living out of a bankbox since houses were very hard to afford (probably why I have 6 of them now); a world without moongates in every major town; constantly watching your back for reds (only felucca existed and if a weenie like Cassiopea survived, anyone could); vanq weapons that were hard to get ahold of were the ultimate weapon (some changed their weapon skills if they came across a vanq weapon of another skill); very few players had mules making crafted goods expensive and a good vendor much less a vendor house difficult to locate which in turn made your guild more essential to the player for supplies and information; roaming pk guilds on land and on sea; Bucs Den hunts for pk'rs; graveyard hunts; fewer guilds so guildleaders were able to put their personal stamp on events and lore more so than today; less guild choices for players thus many had all their characters in one guild making the number of members more realistic and the loyality stonger, seer weddings and weddingbands; killing NPCs for sandals, counts, and other wares, and so many more things, that right now I can't remember them all. All of these small events, game limitations, and the fact that so few played in the past, lends to how the foundation of our community was formed and now exists.

Then the names...so many great ones have graced us with their time and have given us memories that should live on. Those that actually knew them are becoming few and I find the newer tales of the old ones are tainted, blurred or forgotten.

We have a much deeper and meaningful history than what was in that article. Atlantic was one of the orginal servers and yes, we have been known for pvp'ing. But there is so much more and THAT history needs to be preserved and told.

Cassiopea, an old timer with a bad memory
Drayek
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Cassiopia... *I* remember some of those things you're talking about, and I'm post-tram (man, been playing for 4 and a half years and I still feel like a newb). Some of those things are game mechanics that were used on other shards, I know Belan has a few good comics about NPC killers for black sandals. Brings back memories though. I miss vanqs and invuln stuff! It was such a simple system, but vanqs ment something. Heck, I PKed someone for a full fort plate set once on dagger isle, followed someone through a gate after another person went in, forget if she was selling her house or not, was a tower. Actually, I bet it was one of you old OESers. I remember reading her profile describing her as a vampire and giggling. Anyways, that guy was just idling around outside, I partied the chick and asked if she minded if I killed him (I was on a thief with magery, can't take on two people) and she didn't. Man, all these memories coming back now.
Drayek
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert has a pretty good idea, everyone can post their history. If people began bickering on 'what really happened', of course they will be moderated and told to work it out in PM and post something once it's done.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a nice project to undertake, indeed. If anyone else is up for the task of asking around and cataloguing things, send me an ICQ or something, this is too big a project for just moi.
Bailos
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

definitly something we need to do. No one cares about huge masses of PK guilds anymore =/ .

Seriously, that isnt even worthy of wasting an IG book on, let alone publishing online
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea! But it'll need the help from a lot of people. Let me try to organize my thoughts and see if we can get the ball rolling on this. History is my RP Smile

Expect a post soon
ZalarSoulblight
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to help in anyway I can. I can help with alot of stuff that happened years ago but nothing too recent as I havn't been involved in UO much, aside from OES, since the comming of AoS. If anyone wishes to contact me for anything My ICQ is 63326168 and my email address is jzachar1@utk.edu.

This is a wonderful idea.

James M'real
Zalar Soulblight
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Muahah I actually find the history of ATL rping interestingm thats why I wrote a book about it about a month ago, but It was just past events around a year maybe, a good place to check are the stormhaven forums the old archives as well as all the outher old guilds for history.
Valdor Canz
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how LLTS takes credit for creating craftsman nights...
Galathan
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfffft. I know my Atlantic history, and that is a rather sad excuse for history. Seriously, I got history dripping out the wazoo. No kidding, the doctor said it might be some kind of infection.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: