Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Joining the RP Community by: Rufus Oryan

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> New Here? Find Out How to Get Started
View previous topic :: View next topic
Aleph
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:41 pm Post subject: Joining the RP Community by: Rufus Oryan Reply with quote

Joining the RP Community
by: Rufus Oryan

From the outside looking in, joining an established RP community may look like a task that takes quite a bit of time and hard work. Well, I am not going to tell you that it's an easy thing to do, but joining the RP community can be accomplished without *Begins Sweating* breaking a sweat.

I would say one of the first things that should be done to before looking for your spot amongst the 'role-players' is, developing your role-playing skills. There are many essays available to the community created by actual players such as, Marie Defrance and Naereuth Dracul posted on this very site. Even role-playing with someone who doesn't return expressions and such with you, will grant attention to your effort and interest in RP. The practice of perfecting your Role-playing skills may be just what it takes to get your foot in the door.

Another important routine would be to follow plots and stories created by players. Knowing the current events of role-playing guilds may make it easier to ease your way into conversations that are strictly RP. In order to find the plots though, you must know where to look. When you come across what seems like a Role-playing guild-member or something of the sort, ask if they have a web site. Their web site may contain links to other guilds within the community or even give the location of large RP venues and meeting places. A popular one is the Stormhaven Citadel. For some time, when I was trying to make my way into the community, I had heard of this place but could never find it. Until I asked my GM (Guildmaster) about it and he introduced me to the area in which it was located. It is a simple as asking a simple question...well most of the time. If your interested in role-playing and notice others doing it, ask questions and introduce yourself. Players will take notice, and hopefully you'll see them another time.

One more important step to Joining the RP Community, Be heard. After asking questions, doing your research on guilds and active members of the community, and even visiting web sites of guilds and such, visit a few message boards. Of course you should read what interest you, but you might have to check things that don't. Something might be included that may eventually become a larger topic. Knowing from where it stems will easily include your level of understanding of that topic. After hovering about the boards for a bit, or even humbly introducing yourself via post, you should begin to insert your own Extremely considered, well thought out opinion, rebuttal or expression. People will surely tear you a new one if you don't think before you post. I don't mean to scare you away from the need to post on these boards, but it shows that you have paid attention, and are if not immersed, interested and involved in plots and topics concerning the Community. Being on the boards and IRC are major attributes to you being noticed in the community. *Taps chin*....Oh! And don't be afraid to begin your own stories and plots and such. People may take notice, and will notice, or even speak to you in game.

Remember, the RP Community is made up of real people. Its run by the people, and for the people. If you interact within it, then you are just as important as any widely known role-player. A conversation with yourself and one other person, could be just as fun as a 'Mayors' address to a township, or something like that. Most importantly though, Have Fun! One more thing, and im not sure where I heard this but...Get out there and role-play folks.

-Rufus Oryan
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> New Here? Find Out How to Get Started All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: