Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Orcs (Rough Draft)

Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:28 pm Post subject: Orcs (Rough Draft) Reply with quote

I am basing this off of the Stormrever Orc's Website And going a little with what I have common knowledge on, I'm certain the Orcs can add their own info in here to correct me or add things I might miss.

1. Orcs are naturally curious by nature. Shiney objects tend to be placed in great value to them.

2. Orcs prefer great numbers. It is rare you will find an Orc on its own.

3. Orc Hirearchy tends to go as follows: the bigger and stronger and orc is, the more control they have over their clan.

4. Orcs have little intelligence but are masters at war. Brute strength seems to be their only tactic. Think Primitive when roleplaying an orc.

5. Orcs often do things for their clans rather than for themselves.

6. Rarely will you see any orc on a mount. This is mainly due to the concept that most mounts are considered food to them.

7. Even though Orc are considered chaotic, to them, they see the other races as opressors and act as if they are innocent even if they are the aggressors.

8. Orcs are barbaric in every way. when there are no humans to fight, they are busy keeping each other in line.

9. Most orcs will wear ringmail over anything else.

10. Orcs can't count (very important *grins*)
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like there is no room for orchish improvement over the ORC's model of an orc... but for reference, here is the same official UX:O orc fiction for an "Ultima" orc as I posted for the elves.

"Strong-minded, strong-bodied, and strong-smelling, orcs are brutal creatures whose aggressive ways are reflected in their society. Most orcs live in permanent militant camps, where there are few rules other than might is right.

Orcs are only a few inches taller than humans, but they can appear to be much larger because their upper bodies are heavily muscled. Orcs take great pride in their physiques, and many orcs train rigorously to increase their size. The skin color of orcs can vary greatly, from a yellowish-brown to a dark green, and their hair is usually worn in radical styles like mohawks or top-knots. Perhaps the most obvious aspect of orc appearance is their lack of hygiene. Bathing is not practiced or even understood among the orcs, and tattered clothes and rusty armor are common.

Orc life revolves around combat, and the many disputes that arise in orc settlements are settled not by a justice system but by a fight. He who remains standing at the end of the fight has won the dispute. Understandably, orcs measure one another by their reputation in combat and their abilities on the battlefield. Little emphasis is placed on higher pursuits, and settlements are constructed quickly and simply from locally available materials.

Most orcs spend their lives training for combat. Orcs generally prefer heavy, hard-hitting weapons that devastate their foes while they're on the offensive-usually the entire battle. A warning to those traveling in orc country: some orcs value nothing more than victory, so the only battlefield action they consider dishonorable is losing."

Reference: http://www.uxo.ea.com/feature_races_orc.html
Grig'nag da Mojo
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote

A few minor additions that are characteristic of orcs:

1) Orcs traveling alone is actually *not* unheard of. However, it can be easily seen that they seem more then a little out of place. Orcs by themselves can often seem comical or confused. However, the more orcs that congregate outside their borders the less "civility" they will show. While one orc may be loathed to run around killing people that same orc with 4 other orcs couldn't think of a better past time then to raise hell. This can be attributed to the strength in numbers clan mentality an orc follows. Outside the clan he's at the worlds mercy (and it shows). With others they grow bold. This should not be attributed to any sort of cowardice rather a form of common sense. This will not stop a single orc (or orcs in smaller numbers then an opponent) from blindly taking up arms if they figure someone has insulted them in a fashion that they actually find insulting (hint: Orcs don't care when you call them smelly. If they aren't proud of their smell, then at very least they've heard that insult before).

2) Working off the previous rule an orc on neutral ground (Sanctus for example) will often be a different orc then if they are on orc lands. While an orc may act perfectly amiable towards you just standing around near Hanse that same orc will probably still demand tribute from you if you come to the orc fort and more then likely have no trouble running you off orc lands. It goes along with their fierce territoriality. In the case of super rare exceptions some might be allowed to stay. But that comes from the might of one orc telling the others to shut up about this one hummie.

3) Working off the end of the previous rule; orcs are simply orgasmic about claiming any and all territories they come across as their own. These claims should be taken seriously on the grounds the orcs will become violent over these claims. They SHOULDN'T be taken seriously in the thought that they actually intend to keep what they are claiming. It should be considered more of a chest beating match for the orcs to try to claim supremacy over the current denizens. Therefore (on an OOC note) I hope no one accuses the orcs of trying to take lands that is recognized as someone elses. Orcs think it all belongs to them. Either humor them, stand aside, or fight them. They'll be gone soon enough. I mean, why would orcs want to live in hummie cities anyway? Smells like flowers...

Can't we all just get along? No? Excellent.
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your valued information. It helps greatly.
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought orcs also only used 'orcish' weaponry... things like katanas and cleavers were looked down upon while far forked, maces and scimitars were preferred over them.
Alexander the Elf
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere that Stormreavers only used weapons/armor with orcish maker's marks on them as well, I think?
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Cecil, Orcs are known for their scavenging and looting abilities. I would not find it uncommon for an orc to weild any sort of weapon if they had taken it from some foolish advisary who had fallen trying to fight them. However, in your defense, Most orcs would look at a Katana like a broken sword or some sort of meat cutting tool and not for combat use.

Orcs would tend to favor much more devistating weapons and go with Armor that would be mix matched sets of ringmail and plate. Spears, clubs, maces and huge swords are all I could think of that an Orc would weild into battle. The leaders would wear some sort of symbol like a golden orc helm, red sash or something along those lines.
Grishnak da Orc Chief
Honored Member
Honored Member

Location: Hiding in Canada till the taxman leaves, then back to the war.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone sees an Orc using a katana, report it to the Clan Skrolls.
- Polly The Hobbit
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ok clearing this up a bit to fit more detail for the orcs, this is what I have. please correct me if anyone feels I put something in the wrong place.

The Orc

1. Orcs are naturally curious by nature. Shiney objects tend to be placed in great value to them.

2. Orcs prefer great numbers. Orcs traveling alone is actually *not* unheard of. However, it can be easily seen that they seem more then a little out of place. Orcs by themselves can often seem comical or confused. However, the more orcs that congregate outside their borders the less "civility" they will show. While one orc may be loathed to run around killing people that same orc with 4 other orcs couldn't think of a better past time then to raise hell. This can be attributed to the strength in numbers clan mentality an orc follows. Outside the clan he's at the worlds mercy (and it shows). With others they grow bold. This should not be attributed to any sort of cowardice rather a form of common sense. This will not stop a single orc (or orcs in smaller numbers then an opponent) from blindly taking up arms if they figure someone has insulted them in a fashion that they actually find insulting (hint: Orcs don't care when you call them smelly. If they aren't proud of their smell, then at very least they've heard that insult before).

3. Orc Hirearchy tends to go as follows: the bigger and stronger and orc is, the more control they have over their clan.

4. Orcs have little intelligence but are masters at war. Brute strength seems to be their only tactic. Think primitive when roleplaying an orc.

5. Orcs often do things for their clans rather than for themselves. orcs are simply orgasmic about claiming any and all territories they come across as their own. These claims should be taken seriously on the grounds the orcs will become violent over these claims. They SHOULDN'T be taken seriously in the thought that they actually intend to keep what they are claiming. It should be considered more of a chest beating match for the orcs to try to claim supremacy over the current denizens. Therefore (on an OOC note) I hope no one accuses the orcs of trying to take lands that is recognized as someone elses. Orcs think it all belongs to them. Either humor them, stand aside, or fight them. They'll be gone soon enough. I mean, why would orcs want to live in hummie cities anyway? Smells like flowers...

6. Rarely will you see any orc on a mount. This is mainly due to the concept that most mounts are considered food to them.

7. Even though Orc are considered chaotic, to them, they see the other races as opressors and act as if they are innocent even if they are the aggressors. An orc on neutral ground (Sanctus for example) will often be a different orc then if they are on orc lands. While an orc may act perfectly amiable towards you just standing around near Hanse that same orc will probably still demand tribute from you if you come to the orc fort and more then likely have no trouble running you off orc lands. It goes along with their fierce territoriality. In the case of super rare exceptions some might be allowed to stay. But that comes from the might of one orc telling the others to shut up about this one hummie.

8. Orcs are barbaric in every way. when there are no humans to fight, they are busy keeping each other in line.

9. Most orcs will wear ringmail or other crude looking armor over anything else.

10. Orcs can't count (very important *grins*)
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should add that some guilds (ORC) require character creation according to their specific guidelines and that anyone making an orc with the intent to join them should read their website first.
Adin Blackwind
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea. I'll be sure to include that in the final draft.
Isilmea
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention that Orc's perfer red-heads... well at least Grish use to call Anna his favorite red-head... love4
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: