Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

Looting.... yes, the taboe on it broken!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:51 pm Post subject: Looting.... yes, the taboe on it broken! Reply with quote

Just a question:

I know why it was requested in the past (even then I didn't fully agree) but with item insurance on armour, weapons, runebooks and balls of petsummoning why would there be a requirement for no looting?

On the plus side:
If I got killed by an Orc in a 'real UO world' I would fully expect to be stripped of all my belongings and perhaps even some neat munchin' from my bodyparts.
If I carry a very powerfull artifact (not UO arti's Rolling Eyes )from Trinsic to Britain and some NCR necro's come my way I expect to be one powerfull artifact less without the need to establish 34 OOC meetings to discuss the matter
If someone roleplays a thief don't want him to go around 'pretending' to steal but I want him to rob my socks off!

On the negative side:
You stand to loose a few reagents, bandages, potions and other easily replacable stuff.

I just feel your sacrificing way too much 'sence of reality' in order to keep a few unimportant items. I mean, if you die it's going to cost you way more on insurance then on what's left on your body....I'd say quit yer whining and roleplay the loss of your stuff.

p.s. If I was a warrior and died while holding the Titanhammerthingy I would consider it a form of respect and common sence not to use it in RP situations for a while.... you just lost a great weapon to the enemy (the value of the artifact prohibits actually surrending it offcourse Wink )

Yeah...I know...I have a habit of launching unattainable stuff Smile

RK
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I like no looting? For 2 reasons.

One, I dont have to worry about losing my things and having to replace items.
Two, since I dont have to worry about losing said items. I dont have to worry about how much gold I have to be able to replace items. Some of us arent rich. I only about 500k across all my chars, which is not alot these days.
Three, There just isnt any reason for it at all. We all have our own items, what is the purpose of taking someone elses? It doesnt do anything for RP at all. Sure, IRL people would take stuff from a dead person, they arent going to use it, they are dead. This isnt IRL, and we do come back.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, while for plots sometimes we RP being looted or something taken from us, usually that is the ONLY thing that should ever involve looting. It opens too much oppurtunity for abuse of it, and honestly, can't afford to pay for the stuff I would replace from my constant deaths.
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the RP purpose of taking items? Because it would be in their roleplaying nature to do so...Orcs loot, thieves steal, pirates rob ya. Even knights have been known to loot weapons (and then melt)

And 'we come back': You're not supposed to come back... When I just killed an Undead vampire and I'm burning the corpse or doing whatever to roleplay the situation with other surrounding characters I would find it highly disruptive to have that same vampire walk back up 2 seconds afterwards to 'collect his stuff'

You're poor? I doubled my goldsupply the past weeks up to a whopping 400K. I'm probably one of the poorest 6 1/2 years veterans that is still around. You can't afford to insure your items or restock on perishables? Perhaps you should then roleplay a POOR knight. I'm one of those persons who strongly believes in cause and effect. Your roleplaying is affected by what happens to you ingame:

- If you get killed by a mongbat you can't go around claiming to be a powerfull warrior
- If you can't pay for a decent house you shouldn't go around claiming Serpent's Hold is your town or pretend like your 8X8 is a huge castle
- If you can't pay for bandages to keep you healed perhaps you need to roleplay the begging knight.

I don't agree with the statement that everyone is free to roleplay whatever he wants and that the 'others' should accustom to that. This is a multiplayer game where the actions of others affect how you can play/roleplay. And that's a GOOD thing! You just have to live with the fact that not everything goes your way.

People who refuse to accept or avoid in-game reality is godmoding in my opinion. Roleplaying is nothing more then playing UO in such a way that a sence of 'realism' enters into the game. Being able to resurrect is hard enough as it is, returning to your corpse 2 mins after you died to collect your items while your sworn enemies 'ignore you' is not realism in my book Smile

But I'm crazy, so who knows Smile

RK
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like to wear a death shroud, you know, be "gone" fora bit. Honestly though, allowing looting opens that slippery slope down.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think looting should be allowed.

If you can't afford regs, bandages, pots, etc. you need to explore another side of UO called hunting. To afford that stuff, you don't have to do the gauntlet or champ spawns, just camp a lich spawn for an hour or 2 =)

But I also understand that a lot of people are whiney, so c'est la vie.
Baron Mordegan
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:36 pm Post subject: Looting should be allowed Reply with quote

Many of us are in guilds that do have combined resources for us to draw upon. I think that if looting was allowed you would see people using lesser quality items that they wish not to lose or they insure every item and risk paying out a small fortune upon death.

I honestly think it would add flavor. It would definitely segregate good and evil..the way it should be. I recall going to OES in the old days knowing that if I was caught there I would be handed my butt on a platter. It would give reason to use guild smiths, miners, alchemist and tailors and would throw in the feeling of always being ready for any situation. Nothing like a chance encounter with the enemy!
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that looting should be allowed and advocated its reimplementation in the past but it was shot down. Personally I agree with everything you've said RK except the "You can't afford to insure your items or restock on perishables? Perhaps you should then roleplay a POOR knight.".

Why do I disagree their? Because I know myself and most others who have millions of gold did not make the cash in an rp fashion, we made it at WBB selling items which we got from the gauntlet well not roleplaying (I've seen many of roleplayers in the Gauntlet, partied with many other roleplayers not saying a word going from room to room, avoiding interaction for the most part well trying to get artis/loot). That wasn't an insult, just observation, I mean it is hard to roleplay in the Gauntlet with 40 dewds trying to out loot you, just like it is hard to roleplay at WBB.

Honestly, I think looting should be reimplented if for no other purpose then to give guilds something to do. I mean the current trade system, imagine how much better it would work if one guild actually NEEDED regs and another guild actually NEEDED wood to make arrows?
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the looting topic.

If someone dies in a battle, does it matter? Maybe 1,000 to 2,00 gold, but that's it. They can pick up their stuff, sit for a second while they heal, and get back into the swing of things.

If a mage kills someone in a huge battle, and runs out of regs doing so, what happens? He can't recall because he's in heat of battle, and in about three seconds he's going to have two warriors on his ass. He should be able to loot the regents off of his fallen opposition to use for his own.

I kind of rambled, and probably didn't make much sense. But, Looting = A+.
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you confused me till the last two lines Very Happy
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt - if you can't afford to lose it, then don't bring it into battle. That applies to PvM, RP, and PvP in Fel. As a result, I would never have been upset if anyone had looted me because before insurance I always wore cheap stuff, and with insurance, I insure anything that I can and really want to keep. Losing your regs and bandies or arrows can happen anywhere in the game, so don't carry more of them than you can afford to lose. That should be everyone's personal philosophy for this game, then no one would care about the looting question and there would be no flamewars after a battle when someone was looted.

It has never mattered to me whether we allow looting or not because I don't carry stuff that I simply can't bare to be parted from. IC, I expect a bandit to rob me. I expect an orc to loot me and probably eat my leg and my horse, too. I expect someone to take my weapon or regs so I don't run right back into battle; I'd do the same to an enemy if I thought they would return and try to kill me again. But I'd assume that if they'd cared about losing it they would have insured it or not brought it in the first place.
Leshok Majere
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

(note this is not sarcastic at all!)

omg! this post has opened my eyes to the wonder of rp looting! I've always wanted to see the implament of only gm stuff again, regardless of the reactions. I too insure anything i wouldn't want to lose, if i didn't what would stop someone from looting me and running with it all? I mean i used to wear a near 70 all suit and had it all insured, with mojo weapons also insured. But after dying in mass battle, or due to lag, or what ever reasons, i got tired of loosing nearly 10k in insurance! so i started only having gm items, except jewelry and shield, which i insured, cause thats all i needed. if we have any twink problems, as usual, kick them off stone, seems simple to me.

"Fri Jan 14 20:07:01 2005 [08:45:38] Kuja: ghaahahahahahha...ha..h.a..... NOTHING TO FREAKING DO IN GAME GAH"

Some things never change even after 4 years...
Angelique
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Question?

Are you speaking of looting in battle, or looting at anytime.? Killing the merchant headed out of the mage shop and looting him dry? Is looting, looting. no matter the circumstances?
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

ATM looting is not allowed.

The type of looting being talked about here I suppose could include that, but it is in bad taste. I mean if a craftsman walks up to an orc, talks rp smack and is killed for it, he deserves to be looted. But if that same craftsman begged for his life it would be common curtosy to leave the bulk of his belongings.

The problem is, everyone is afraid that no one will be curtious and thus fears looting.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking encourages twinkish behavior. We don't need to attract that to the community.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: