Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

A suggestion for balance
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic

What do you think about this idea?
Sounds great! Where do I have to sign?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Might work, might interact with them
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Nobody will make a new character for it - forget the idea..
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not sure
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Poor copycatting, that idea sucks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Valdez
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:04 pm Post subject: A suggestion for balance Reply with quote

Greetings everybody!

Since this is my first post, I will keep it short.

After carefully inspecting Atlantics Roleplaying Community, I have realized that the ORCs are one of the most competent and respected roleplayers on this shard.

Now, this being said, why is there no counterpart to the ORCs?
I mean, if the ORC concept is so great and productive, how come there is no guild that "translates" their concept to humans?

That brings me to suggestion :

How would you, the veteran roleplayers of Atlantic, feel about a new guild, formed after the principles of ORC, yet different in structure and belief?

A structure of military order, ranging from mere footmen to general.

New characters, weak as a single person, strong in numbers.

Restricted equipment such as Grandmaster items only.

Magery only used by special mages, such as clerics.

No horses, since it will be a guard group, not a raider/rider group.

No Powergaming, all skills are gained by usage on patrols, dungeon raids or events.

Hold parades and guard important areas/houses, maybe some use to the Regent?

And of course, since the orcs consider their worst enemy to be human, fight orcs wherever they appear!

Now, how does that sound? Would a guild like that get even close to what the ORCs are these days? Or would it not even get formed due to lack of interest? After all, new characters are a requirement for this guild..
Arcana
Crazed Zealot
Crazed Zealot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it would be kind of fun to have a guild like that, but since I am who I am (uh...) I would want everyone to be archers and RP rangers. I have this dream of a well-coordinated archery assault... that would be cool. I always worried that participation would be too small, though.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

*sighs* As much as I didn't want this rant, here it comes.

Orcs, for the longest time, have been respected for their use of tactics (KRIMP!) and winning by sheer numbers. Precisely what orcs should do, power in numbers.

Recently though, with AOS, one needs better equipment to survive. And some feel they need leet artifacts and uber 70's mage suits with 100 lrc and 50 LMC and 10 mana regen... etc so on so forth.

Some of ORC has, in the last few months, fallen into this. They are no longer the hoarde that wins by tactics and numbers (some stick to this, still, I am not trying to pick on ORC as a whole) but now they have their own leet equipment etc to combat those with it.

Did they get their leet equipment purely to combat those with it already? Maybe. I don't know. That goes on an individual basis.

Also, someone brought up the point to me, that orc-speech is also very good at covering up for immature brats that can't type normally. So people that try to join normal guilds that get turned away can get into ORC, not because of low standards, but because of the fact that its easy to hide being an immature child or a twinkdewd when you type orcy-speech.

I probably offended some people, whatever. It was bound to happen, and I felt my two cents should be heard, yet again.

Point is, boys and girls: I will not respect an orc that demands tribute that could sell their equipment and artifacts for 10-25 mil or so.
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a variety of kingdoms and so on that humans can join, and even an All-HUman-Republic based on Magincia. But ORcs are usually tribablly based, around an all orc tribe. Where as humans are either in their kingdoms or their towns, or just walking around etc.
In summation:
1. Orcs are tribal so the all orc guild makes sense (though I must say, they have become more of a professional griefer guild calling people "arti whures, I think I have heard twinks etc."
2. There are lots of Human run kingdoms/organizations. It is just that humans are less xeno-phobic than many other races so they mingle much more frequently. And if they hate other races, then there is always Humanis!
Valdez
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To Arcana :
I don't think this would be much of a problem, if there are lots of people involved in this guild, several people would be archers, and then you will see the archers assault as well as the macers charge.

To Kuja :
So you think that ORC has fallen to the temptation AoS brought, then why not prove that good RP does NOT need fancy weapons/items? Maybe those people that you were talking of will get "back to the roots" and recover their orcish origin.
Why they get the items .. I think, that's everybodys and nobodys fault.
Nobodys because OSI brought the change to items, and everybodys since everybody, even the roleplayers, switched their items to neon and artifacts, thus making the "warmachine" of the orcs weak and the orcs became prey instead of fighters.
I still believe though that there is a way to get back to the roots, on one side the orcs, on the other side the humans.

To Horace Telver :
I know that there are several guilds out there, many with humans, others with elves, drow or dwarfs. But the concept that ORC implemented is unique, and so far I have seen no other guild like them.
And, as I have written earlier up here, I believe that when there is a challenge, that takes them back to their roots, they will accept it.
Dominatria
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Horace Telver wrote:
and even an All-HUman-Republic based on Magincia...
...And if they hate other races, then there is always Humanis!

Humanis IS an all-human republic based in Maginicia. The problem Humanis has run into, however, is the lack of people wanting to RP radical ideas, and H-H's fairly high standards.

-Dom
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Valdez wrote:
To Kuja :
So you think that ORC has fallen to the temptation AoS brought, then why not prove that good RP does NOT need fancy weapons/items? Maybe those people that you were talking of will get "back to the roots" and recover their orcish origin.
Why they get the items .. I think, that's everybodys and nobodys fault.
Nobodys because OSI brought the change to items, and everybodys since everybody, even the roleplayers, switched their items to neon and artifacts, thus making the "warmachine" of the orcs weak and the orcs became prey instead of fighters.
I still believe though that there is a way to get back to the roots, on one side the orcs, on the other side the humans.

Everyone has fallen to the temptation of AOS to a degree, nobody walks around in NPC bought leather armor or none at all and calls themself a capable fighter.
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can't conform to RP standards, they can remain unguilded and hate other races, or start their own guild to hate other races.
Just that, comparison of a tribal culture (orcs) to an advanced culture (humans) doesn't really work.
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd join
I'd create a new character to go through all the ranks of the army at a slow pace
I'd use GM made weapons
I'd have no problem going on foot
I'd love the potential roleplay of the situation

The only problem is that you need at least 20-25 people to give it a certain credibility

But you have my support

RK
Valdez
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you, sir, for the support, and together we can - we will make a difference!
There are dozens of people in this community, if only 20 make a new character and believe in this strict but rewarding roleplaying, then this group (no name chosen yet) will rise and with it the quality of roleplay on Atlantic like a phoenix out of the ashes!

*Edited*
I wonder .. what is the stand of the ORCs on this?
How do they feel about a challenge, would they return to their roots?
Is there any orc reading these boards anyway? If so, please state your stance towards this idea of a direct competitor.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people who will have a problem with these changes are the people that can't win with those changes. Not many that rely entirely on their items to fight and their mount to run will give them up without crying and bitchin.
Valdez
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kuja :
But isn't that what roleplaying is about?
The only people that SHOULD rely on their equipment are heros and evil villains.
Does this "game" consist of ONLY heros and villains? What happened to the common folk, the roleplayers that take over a role, such as the bakers boy that went out to see the country, or the merchants daughter that fled with a suitor, yet got dumped for a bar wench? Those are not heros, they do not depend on their equipment, and yet, I believe that those could make a great roleplaying experience within the community.

I agree that skills matter, and nobody should have low skills forever. Starting a roleplaying carreer with a grandmaster warrior/mage/you-name-it isn't much roleplaying in my eyes.

But equipment .. can anyone tell me one person that has a certain item in any history, fictional or non-fictional, that was NOT the main hero or the main villain? Are we all heros?
To be honest, I don't want to be a hero. I want to be a functional member of a group, respected and treated as fair as others, but not famous or rich, this doesn't add to my roleplaying experience.
This being said, I do not need fancy items to create a good roleplaying surrounding, or fight with artifacts to prove that "I r0xx0r j00", I admit that PvP is a valuable part in the concept that I suggest (humans stand up against the orcish manace), but it's not the only aspect.

I do not have a problem with switching down to Grandmaster items, walking on foot and starting fresh. Why do others? What's so hard to give it a try for the sake of roleplaying?
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not have a problem with switching down to Grandmaster items, walking on foot and starting fresh. Why do others? What's so hard to give it a try for the sake of roleplaying?

Because some people are in the community that are immature little brats that value PVP over everything else but dont want looted, so they call themselves roleplayers and thus they have a problem with this.

Quote:
The only people that SHOULD rely on their equipment are heros and evil villains.

Oooook, a paladin has a holy sword, a bad guy has an evil scythe, whatever, but everyone today has the same set of leet 4/9 artis from the gauntlet. It's just twinkness. Sure you can work artis into roleplay if you want them that damn badly, but it makes no sense for 'generic mage 01' to be decked out in the most lethal crap in all the lands.

Back in medieval times, you didn't see a wall archer wearing a green deer hat on his head.
Evinyatar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

RP isn't about winning a fight

People in RP who are fixated on what needs to happen or what items people should or should not wear to 'compete' are nothing but pvpers who can't 'cut it' with the real pvpers and decide to pick on the easier crowd

I agree with Kuja that too many people are like those mentionned above but I also say that bitchin' about it won't make it any different

Lead by example is all I ever say... and that's why I would support this mans efforts

RK
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuja wrote:
Everyone has fallen to the temptation of AOS to a degree, nobody walks around in NPC bought leather armor or none at all and calls themself a capable fighter.

Noone walked around in NPC made leather armor BEFORE AoS and called themselves a competant fighter. =)
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: