Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

True Roleplay Community Rules...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:10 pm Post subject: True Roleplay Community Rules... Reply with quote

If guilds would agree to follow the rules below, the Atlantic community would be able to roleplay far better as guilds could once again stand uniform instead of pimped out in neon gear:

1 – If you’re in a roleplaying guild, your character is In Character at all times when ingame. If you need to go OOC use the party system and if the person you wish to speak to is already partied emote tapping them on the shoulder and ask to speak with them privately (the tapping would indicate you wished to be partied).

2 – Plan out the role of your character before performing actions with him or her. Do not spend all your time sitting in taverns, if nothing more interesting is happening, do something yourself and get others involved.

3 – Weapons and Armor restrictions: Grandmaster/Legendary made items only. No barbed runic kit armor, no artifacts, no valorite runic hammer made weapons. Why? Because these things only make people want to farm loot instead of roleplay. Jewelry and such max out at 2/4 casting cap for mages and rest of the properties whatever. Shields? GM made only.

If rule number 3 was followed by all the guilds within the community, guilds could assign uniforms to their guilds and their would be no reason to complain, why? Because no other guilds would be using ornaments of the magicians or ornate crowns of the harrower in duels or in wars.

These are all the rules a community needs to prosper again, the problem is no guilds will want to follow them because it adds to the works of the GM’s in guild because they need to make sure their members know what they can and cannot use and make sure they are not using artifacts and such.

If these rules were ever followed by guilds, our community could become tight nit as use guilds that enter the community would have to agree to follow these rules and by doing so any new members joining guilds would ALSO have to follow these rules and most dewds have a seriously problem parting from their artifacts on any character.
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I would completely agree to those rules, and I won a full 70 suit. Very Happy
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also..

No swamp dragons. No guilds in the community that I know of atm play dragoons and until that happens their is no reason to allow this mount in any form as it unbalances combat far too much and forces anyone who wishes to compete to use one.
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:30 pm Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

This is awesome man... good idea...

I'd go with this in a hot minute... even if I have to give up my shield.
Sir Robert
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally disagree..
If I have to have rules to roleplay better, then I have to learn to roleplay better. What we might need more then are ROLEplayers, not Ruleplayers. Imposing rules and limits to help in roleplaying. Sure.. that might work, but its like chopping off your hand, to prevent becoming a kleptomaniac.
The game is messed up enough, there is, in my humble opinion, not a reason to mess it around more by limiting what your char can wear, own, etc.. We might need first rules about what the char can do without those things (like being a super-mega-demon-killer-assassin-vampire-lich-paladin, who can kill 10,000 innocent with a slice of monofilament anchovi pizza.)

So I personally will follow one rule: Common sense.. No matter what things I have, I will suck in pvp, so there is no danger of me becoming a superguy. *grin* And I prefer the stuff that I have, because with that, I can at least do some PvM without becoming Ogre-fodder. And I am too lazy to have PvM and RP specific stuff. As I am often go to a "roleplay hotspot" see nothing important or interesting going on and then head for a quick hunt.

But then, thats just my opinion. You are always free to use just GM/Legendary stuff. Just as long as ye dont force your preferences on me, as I have a different play style. Very Happy

Though this be madnes, yet there's method in't
Cecil
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:20 pm Post subject: Sir Robert... Reply with quote

Sir Robert... no offense to you, but this is for the greater good. Artifact whoring does nothing to help roleplay, and the 'arms race' that high-end equipment causes takes the main focus off of roleplay and puts it on item farming.

The roleplay environment would be far better if guilds could use actual UNIFORMS of some sort again. The idea isn't to restrict your monster farming, it is to reduce your NEED for it. Monster farming shouldn't be the end-all-be-all of RP...

Personal opinion...

I like Bel's proposal....
Mark Randerstill
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...the fact that Beleth of all people posted this...

Mind you he does in fact have artifacts, kind of makes me lean towards it.

I don't think I can get Humanis people to go for it, but I will try.

I DO have three pieces of non-GM armor though. *cries* None of them are like Vaen or Cloudster gimped out though. A pair of pre-Aos Invul leather gloves, some sleevezzorz, and a shield =\
Talon Skyfire
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this proposal. Myself and many other Sanctus members long for the days when your PvP ability wasn't measured by which uber kewl neon weapon you wielded. Count us in if you wish to hold a community wide meeting on this.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. But, a 2/4 mage will beat the living daylights out of a warrior with gm made weapons. And a mage with no FC/FCR will die instantly to any warrior. It's hard to balance that.

Also, some templates may suffer. Many people are hybrid mage/warriors and use Spell Channeling weapons to take advantage of their template.

Your going to have to limit individual attributes. It will be hard, but you will be totally unbalancing the odds in a specific type of character's favor, depending on what you do.

As for me? Yay. Only my Elf fencer will suffer greatly for this rule, as my gorget is val invul and my arms are val enhanced 51 total resists. All my other three RP characters use pure GM crafted stuff besides my fencermage's SC weapons.

Just my two cents. I know how much you all love hearing it.
Serpentine
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind it one bit, save that my tamer wears an LRC suit just to save me some expense, and if I'm doing anything other than fighting I'd like to be able to wear it.

Also, to head off a problem I foresee in the future if these get implemented, know that our good buddy Surge is nearly impossible for some people to kill even with artifacts and 2/4 FC/FCR, but he's going to be an unstoppable juggernaut against GM weapons and armor, and mages with 0/0, just like he was in the old Stormhaven era. I'm sure Beleth remembers in the Battle of Britain, when Firebomb took 8 OES to drop AFTER I was already dead. And if you go back to telling me I can't play with my draggie just because he kills you too fast, then I'll go back to either violating that rule randomly or just not participating.
Honored Member
Honored Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that would maybe appease ye all, who prefer that rule and also appease me, who is against the rule..

Limit to GM made (or Elder or Legendary as that exceptional is exceptional) items made without runic in "setup battles". I think that is what most aim at, and I think it would be impressive to see that. But keeping at that. No outside influence of what one wears day to day..
I think Stormhaven and Orcs had something like that before AOS.
If ye challenge one to a spontaneous battle, there will be still the risk of the others items being a bit better than yours, I grant that, but those duels are hardly of importance.

I think that telling others what they can wear outside of those agreed upon battles might just lead to bad blood and "he did that"s and "his armour was 2% over the agreed limit!!". Wink

But then, I'm just the outsiders voice as I consider myself more of a borderline character of this community. Smile

Though this be madnes, yet there's method in't
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, to deal with the spell channeling problem, before AoS i played a true hybrid and I know how much of a savior AoS was in some aspects, but the truth is your playing a roleplayed character here so their are two options I see:
Allow dull copper runic hammers to be used to create armor (easily accessible to all guilds and people), they have a chance to create the spell channel property or the hybrids go back to playing the old way, where they re-equip their weapons after they cast.

As for mages totally dominating warriors.. wrong. A gm armor suit can be made in a balanced enough manner to allow the elemental resists to take the edge off spells. Remember here, their will not be any mana regen on items either or lower mana cost so mana will run out even for people with 120 med and focus. As for mages getting dominated by warriors, with barbed leather mages can make very good suits of armor as well so that will take some of the edge off. Also consider the fact that warriors will be able to MAX hit chance increase to 30% I believe (gm shields give no hit chance/defense chance, I could be wrong here) using jewelry slots and by doing so limit themselves in getting the bonus resistances from the jewlry slots so their armor will be weak if they choose to do this.

Mages also have protection (not disruptable), magic reflect (bonus elemental resists) and reactive armor (bonus physical) so they can in duels focus on whatever aspect they need to.

YES some templates will suffer more then others, this is not possible to prevent, but this is for the sake of aiding in the roleplay aspect of the roleplay community, not the hardcore pvp aspect.
---
Now as for the dragon question, dragons and wyrms are very strong pets yes but a group CAN stop them, and the tamer using them has almost always dedicated 3 skills (taming, lore and vet) to be able to use them and loses out if they are a mage or a warrior. Actual player tactics can be used to make pets worthless in battle (kill the tamer first and lure off the pet or have mages only/ranged characters focus on the pet). So I still have no problem with pets being used in battles.

Oh and yes your pet did kill alot of OES in the battle, but that was because we were fighting it stupidly and not cross healing enough (with new bandage timer this is even a stronger possibility now).
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down I think all weapons should be approved. It isn't about the level of hammer - a crappy hammer can still make like 10 ssi 25 lightening 25 manaleech kryss/katana...

You just can't bring back preaos now.
Thomas DeRock
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of this is great.

However I DO have a large problem with #3. If everyone is the same temp, then it works nicely. However things have changed FAR to much. I dont think we will do a good job of balancing out all the temp types with the gear restrictions. In the end you will give the shaft to a class.

Ya I have artis on both dexxer and mage characters, and I use em. But I also DO long for days when you could pvp almost naked, or when the armor didnt depend on colors. That was the most fun UO has ever been. But the basic ruleset has been changed so much I think its simplistic to think limiting gear can return us to the good ole days.

I have said it before, I dont think any of us is intelligent enough or has enough time to work out perfectly fair gear for all the temp types. And then as soon as you do, the next pub changes it all.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Limitations need to be put in place to allow roleplay to prosper again. I know it will be hard, but it is possible. Yes some classes will get the shaft worse then others but it can be worked around for the sake of roleplay. If you had a GOOD reason In Character for your mage to be using a shield and clever please let me hear it. The only reason that trend begain was because it made for good pvp character. Hybrids CAN be played without spell channeling weapons, mages can be played without 4/6 fast casting, dexers can be played without swing speed increase, paladins can be played without a fast casting 1 shield.

Everyone will be making sacrafices but in the end it will lead to better ROLEPLAYED battles because they will not end with one character being nearly unkillable due to his armor.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: