Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

True Roleplay Community Rules...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning with #3.. I withdraw my statement. I, personally, have no problem with wearing a GM suit and fighting. I've done it many times over. Hell, I've fought with no armor. Not the point. This will cause many fights among people. Not to mention suspicion.

In a perfect world, this would be ideal. But we can't trust every single person to abide by every single rule. There will be people who break the rule and hide it well. There will be people who break the rule and don't hide it, but never admit to it. And there will be people who follow it.

This is just cause for more arguments down the road.

And for those of you who are saying "Cloudster and Vaen are only disagreeing to #3 because they have the items," then you're only agreeing to #3 because you don't.

In a large battle, it doesn't matter about items. It takes two people who have tactics to take down one person who is gimped out.

But for all of you arguing that this will make RP better, it won't. It will just allow much longer, drawn out, boring fights.

But, if we're going to do this, then I suggest a roster maximum. No more than 15 people. Why? Because it's not fair if a group of 40 people are marching against a group of 5. But of course, this will get disagreement.
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I see it too, and I couldn't agree more.
This post regarding PvP has gotten more views/replies than actual posts on RP. That's saying something. It's saying "Get over your bloodlust and start RPing." I dunno about all of you, but I think UO PvP sucks anyways. The only reason I still pay $13 a month is so I can RP.
If the reason you joined the community is to have ungimped warring, go to Siege.

-Dom
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was making a long drawn out post to defend my proposal, but the truth is their isn't a point to it. GM's of guilds will either want to enforce these rules or they will not, so far some do and some don't. When the response is finished and each guild has said either "Great ideas" or "Horrible ideas" we can hold a meeting be it ingame and Out of Character or in irc, or in UO chat and flesh out what needs to be done to make this work for as many guilds as possible, then we implement it. Those that choose not to follow the rules well that is their choice, those that choose too again that is their choice. Guilds who restrict themselves will have the lower hand to begin with but in time if this succeeds (a big if) my hope is more guilds will adapt and people will realize why rule #3 is important.

I have RPed in this community for along time, and yes I did leave for awhile but I will be returning eventally and am hopeing to better it before I do. This is ABOUT restricting ourselves for the sake of atmosphere and enjoyment. People say that those who strive to be great warriors should be allowed to wear great armor, I say people who strive to be great warriors should be great warriors by using their skill instead of their elemental resistance. Is this idea restricting? Yes. Will this idea cause problems? Yes. Will those problems eventally be solved? Hopefully.

Only time will tell.
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:15 pm Post subject: Does anyone care? Reply with quote

Allow me to place a stupid but crucial remark:

You're all here to roleplay I assume? Noone gets to place resource vendors? Noone gets artifacts after winning a roleplayed fight? Nobody gets gold or fame or whatever from doing a rp duel (whatever that may be)? Noone gets an elite title?

If that's all the case...who cares if you win or loose? Roleplaying is not a competition.

Beleth...I like your rules a lot. And if I could still play at American peak time I would join any guild that uses those rules and even added alot more hard rules on top just for the fun! I would not however require or expect everyone else to adhere to those rules. I'd be quite content in a guild that is able to create a roleplaying atmosphere but is forced to play the role of the highly weak necromancers who get beaten every time they leave their coffin.

RK

P.s

In some film about a guy creating a baseballfield in order for all his heroes to come and play there (crappy film, forgot the name.... yes it is crap... friggen chickflick)
"If you build the field, they will come"
If you are able to create a roleplaying atmosphere around your guild or point of presence a community will automatically form. Too bad not alot of guilds can create that atmosphere. That's where the problem lies, and no fake community-creating is ever going to change that.
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:04 pm Post subject: I agree 100% Reply with quote

I have to say I agree 100% this and my guild would be willing to follow these rules if the community as a whole voted on them..I'd even go as far as agree to just gm made weapon and armour being used for the number 3 part on this subject..
Tarothin Armunn
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...after re-examining the rule. I can only think of one good thing about rule three. The recruiting of people more interested in RP over twinks looking to kill, do to the rule putting that type from joining in the first place. And will be easier to find or seperate the people that get recruited that wish to RP.

But overall I still dont think that rule three has any bearing RP wise. And since I am well aware of the PvP system on both a mage and dexxor and paladin and necro and archer since I have these, the systems is to unbalanced to be able to do the GM thing without many people starting to complain that mages are to powerful. Someone always complains about something. If anything I can agree to on rule three would be if only in battles, but in one v one or regular atmosphere to be able to use what you want. Because in battles, people are going to gank regardless.

Last edited by Tarothin Armunn on Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek uth Matar
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be a way to go about to it to make both sides happy on this issue is have the rules set in place for battles and for one vs one encounters let them wear what they one..I do think maybe we should put these rules to a vote and maybe see overall where the community stands on them maybe create a poll to do that? Overall my guild will agree on whatever the majority of the community decides in this matter..
Dravite
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I agree with all stated rules of Beleth.
I have no idea why so many people fight the sacrifice for the good of the community, nor why it is so hard to see that RP is the main focus.
Hell, it works in other communities fine, take a look at europa and the CoY, they restricted items AND characters, you HAVE to create a new character to join the guilds and guess what? They're doing awesome! They have more members than any atlantian RP guild and there are always things going on. So what is the big deal with items on Atlantic?
If you don't trust people to follow the rules then we will never take a step forward into the right direction, because everybody will just do whatever they think is right and nothing will be gained.
So I say : Good ideas, Beleth, summon the GMs and make them decide.
Robby
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree something has to change, but speaking as a person who has had trouble getting his way up the chain in pvp I can agree to rule 3 if it were changed in some areas.

Like for instence I have had this one sheild it is the one i have had for 6 rl months it is also my rp brotherhood sheild, and I couldnt part with it no matter what.

But, I wouldnt mind going back to gm armor would save a heck of alot of money but mages would just sit there and own me and comon if your a new recuirt thats gm or higher in his fighting skills thats just depressing as a friend once told me " im not paying 12.99 for a grey screen " nobody likes or wants to die its a known fact

so i leave you with my 2 cents wroth you can take it or just cast it aside

RobbyBlazeheart
Keris Kenyrlylth
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with these rules. Id bee willing to put down everything except simple GM made armor and weapons. Or, allow only certain properties like spell channeling, or a little FC/FCR. But that’s just me.

I’ve read in this thread, twice I believe, that PvP “will never be balanced.” Does that mean that we shouldn’t at least try to make it a bit fairer? A major point of having a Community is so we can get together and agree on standards that will make events enjoyable for everyone (or close to everyone); not just “Well, we’re gonna attack you, and we’re bringing the arti’s, and if you cant hang, tough cause I spent a lot of time/money getting them.” I don’t mind losing, but at most Id like a shot at victory, a least I’d like to see color for more then a few seconds.

I’ve Been involved in RP wars on Atlantic, and Iv been in Factions on Atlantic, and Id say that right now the only difference I can see between the two is the occasional emote, and the loot stays on your body. Its kinda hard to RP an elf who studied Swordsmenship for 100 years when he gets beat by a mage with a neon green cleaver in his hand. Common, put the kitchen knives away, they belong to the cooks.
Wink
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just say what everyone's thinking.

It's a noble idea, but it won't ever go through.

Even if it did, it would be so unbalanced everyone would get pissed off. Everyone that is balanced against, that is. It'll create twice the OOC crap we have now, and we will be right back where we started.

I know we can all agree on no artis, but beyond that, I don't think it's going to happen.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Kuja. That is how I feel. It is a great idea, I just have little faith in people to go along with it.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: This is too much. Reply with quote

Locke wrote:
Jesus Christ people...am I the only one that sees this? All anyone cares about is pwning the other people.

Yep. And they will continue this even after item changes. People will cheat and whine and complain and it will NEVER END.

Start small. Outlaw artis for now, and work on this later.

Let's see if the community can work together for something we already all agree on: No Artifacts.

If we can get our $&!+ together and pull that off, I'll believe we can move onto something more worth our time.
Dryzzid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

And what will you do for people who won't put their artifacts away? Ignore their existance? Sure, you can not war them. That is obvious.

But what if a character refers to his artifact IN his roleplay. What if it is something he unearthed in some expedition? Do you ignore that?
Greyskull
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone just fight naked.
no weps, no armor, just naked.

let your true skills show

that is all. carry on with the banter
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: