Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

True Roleplay Community Rules...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Isilmea
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyskull wrote:
Everyone just fight naked.
no weps, no armor, just naked.

let your true skills show

that is all. carry on with the banter

Ok... that was funny. You made me laugh. Thanks.
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly i think that these Ideas were good but I see alot of problems in getting them to ever work in uo today without causing more problems then its worth. I would love to see uniforms used and such without having to worry about being that much crappier to better rp . but theres only one real way that will work.

Create a player run shard and get all the atl rpers onto it.

That way you could make the game however you want, no neon crap, no special this and that, have things just the way they've been explained. I do think they are good ideas, but with the way the games changed so much from what it was it really would be just as hard if not harder to implement these changes than it would be to make your own shard and get people playing it.
Teh Glouris Lrod Kujabis
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already prepared a freeshard and staff and mentioned it to random people in the community. I didn't want to post it in the forums as it would be advertising a freeshard, even though it was to be aimed at the community only, etc.
Leshok Majere
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no! freeshards scary!! so unstable, what if they fail? well if we get enough people of the community, atleast willing to try the shard for say maybe a week and a half to two weeks. for it to truly work, why not make the shard pre aos, and have a staff of people WHO ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN BEING SEERS AND GMS, don't want staff who are also going to be mixed in with the other roleplayers. I mean, why not have guilds sign up, and gms can even go ahead and re-build/build them their towns, or even set up characters with stats and skills and gold, why not? it won't matter if everyone has so much skills, and a house, and gold. like if sanctus showed up, they could apply for an area to claim for their own, and have rights for building set up for their towns. why we could even set up a town format for the guilds, like 1 main hall/castle, 1 tavern, smith shop, church thingy, housing, and barracks, sounds good to me. I'm not saying everyone give up their hard earned atlantic stuff, but is it that hard to download uo gateway, and try that shard for about a week maybe two? what do we have to lose?

"Fri Jan 14 20:07:01 2005 [08:45:38] Kuja: ghaahahahahahha...ha..h.a..... NOTHING TO FREAKING DO IN GAME GAH"

Some things never change even after 4 years...
Serpentine
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with free shards is that we run them. We are, as we all know, incredibly vulnerable to vendettas, hatred, and OOC disrespect. While on the official shards we have an impassive, neutral entity (OSI) controlling the shard's mechanics, what happens when we promote someone that holds a grudge to that position? It's hard enough to get past OOC feuds and grievances on this shard, but imagine what happens when one of those parties suddenly becomes a Game Master.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. I can scream "I AM UNBIASED!" all day but theres still the Kuja hate club that will sabotage the deal.

I do have experienced RP seer staff that did not play atlantic chosen, though.
Serpentine
Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Still leaves the problem of biases forming with those people, though.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulthough it is a moot point, my seer staff and myself would not have chars IG. Total anonymity.
Alessandra
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Serpentine wrote:
The biggest problem with free shards is that we run them. We are, as we all know, incredibly vulnerable to vendettas, hatred, and OOC disrespect. While on the official shards we have an impassive, neutral entity (OSI) controlling the shard's mechanics, what happens when we promote someone that holds a grudge to that position? It's hard enough to get past OOC feuds and grievances on this shard, but imagine what happens when one of those parties suddenly becomes a Game Master.

Yeah...on the official shards we just have to deal with OSI hating everyone and not knowing what they are doing Laughing

Sorry.... I just wanted to grumble...

angel12

Ken: I put it any way I want to, cause that is the kind of man I am...

Toni/Gwyn/Dae ‎(11:22 AM):
well I was doing Beo, but he annoyed me lol

[09:37] Leshok: i think dancing is like sex, don't let one bad partner ruin it for the rest of your life
Lord Maundor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just joined the site so i' haven't read all the posts, but from what i'm reading i like.

The uniforms is a very cool idea , helps to identify guilds and such. Now with fighting if all GM armor and weapons are used it's very fair. A fighter has bandages which from my knowledge is becoming faster for them to heal, they have potions to use and they have speed of attack which can interrupt the mage. A mage has the advantage of dealing more damage at once, but that's why fighters use potions and bandages.

About the dragon issue there is no issue, you kill the tamer you kill the dragon. By taking out the master he is not controlled so i don't see a problem with that.

I haven't read any other posts so i'm going to go do that, hope you enjoy my comment.
Lord Maundor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay i've been reading a long and i see a lot of emphasis on PVP and RP

Well the fact is if we implement the Uniform idea and GM items there will be no point in killing because you won't retrieve anything and that's how the RPing world is anyways you dont' take anything. So why should people argue about dying?

Yeah it will happen. The fact is if you want to PvP with all your crap goto Fel Moonglow or fight amongst your guild members for sport. There will be no Boast to winning a RP'ing fight besides being able to talk SMACK

Take the uniform idea, the GM items, and RPing concepts and embrace them forget about PvP for once or at least while you are RPing, if you feel the need to kill someone go to Fel Moonglow or Yew there are plenty there. Don't bring your petty PvP arguements into the RPing community because honestly that's what is keeping this game fun and alive it's not the PvP.
Tarothin Armunn
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...Its not fair.

"all GM armor and weapons are used it's very fair. A fighter has bandages which from my knowledge is becoming faster for them to heal, they have potions to use and they have speed of attack which can interrupt the mage. A mage has the advantage of dealing more damage at once, but that's why fighters use potions and bandages. "

Um..the mage even with 2/4 casting can kill a warrior in gm armor before a bandage takes effect. And with wrestling to disarm the fighter or parrying to block or dodging through eval int and anat. The fighter wont be able to interupt much. Potions can only save one for a bit, but not much. And you forget that mages could use since most of the time they have a free hand to do so, use potions as well. Also now with the spell channel weapons and shields, mages can get 120 in swords or fencing and deal greater amounts of damage and yet stil heal themselves if they get hit. They gave more and more weapons to mages. That is why if you did pvp and did so in fel. That you would see that like 80-90% of the pvp'ers in fell have magery. OSI gave mages a lot of power. And it is totally not fair on this....then again its not fair either way verse mages. but at least this way we have now restricts thte number of uber mages out there, instead of making all mages above the masses. And before you say anything I have pvped and do so regulary on many of my characters. In all shapes and form ranging from a mage, necro, paladin, fighter, archer, and even some tamer. At least with dexxors and resist pre-aos the way resist used to work, there was a balance, or at least more of one than there was now.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with GM armor and Weapons only mages would not have spell channeling weapons or shields so they would not be able to use them without disarming to cast.

I will admit I have been in and out of the game since my initial leaving post with Beleth on the TWP boards but I HAVE pvped and do so regularly and I do not see the huge imbalance you do with mages. 2/4 casting speed is basically the speed mages cast at pre-aos 6 FCR is the maximum needed (with 6 recovery is instant) and stacking huge artifacts on mages with arcane shield and such I can see the imbalance and that is also a reason to switch to GM armor and weapons. The main reason however is to help provide an atmosphere more suited to roleplay and less suited to neon loving kewl dewds who are looking for factions 2.0.
Babbling Loony
Babbling Loony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do see the imbalance as well as many people that pvp a dexxor, especially pvping in fel quite often with my red necro mage that has gm mage armor and 2/4 casting. I know a lot of reds that use 2/4 and like my mage can take down fighters, unless they run. And the funny thing is my necro mage is only 2xgm with 72 wrestle skill and no parry skill and yet can kill fighters or at least hold his own or make them run. And these are fighters with all 70. I agree that the 4/6 is like...um...whats the point to fight those people. They can just heal through anything or kill you anyway. Trust me, it wont be fair regardless.
Beleth
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is in most fantasy worlds mages are powerful beings, granted that should not be the case in UO OSI has always (or almost always) catered to the mage and their is not much that can be done about it. Dexers can compete with mages 1v1? Maybe not I do not duel often so I wouldn't know but I do pvp and do not see mages as, as much of a threat as you do.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: