Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

The TWP, its possible return, and you.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, I agree with Arlin on most of his points. And I agree on one other point in principle, but I disagree with his reasoning and strongly doubt its practicality.

Quote:
War wasnt about fairness, it was about winning.

Maybe so. But UO and this community are supposed to be about having fun, not ego trips. While several guilds could in theory band together against a very strong enemy, it's far more likely that most of them will decide to side with that enemy, or even that the enemy got so powerful in the first place because of alliances and too few would be left to challenge them.

This system in its present form curtails the total domination of massive alliances by articially limiting the number of men they can field and that is the simplest way to do it. Maybe not the best or most realistic way, but the simplest.

In the real world, a head-on war was not and is not an effective way to fight a powerful enemy. Because of the limitations of UO, asymmetric warfare is difficult to handle. There's no such thing as attrition, because people don't permanently die. Supplies are irrelevent. NPCs are stupid and don't recognize guilds as conquerers and can't take to the woods as rebels. Public opinion means nothing. There are very few strategic considerations at all. The odds in such a system overwhelmingly favor a large alliance, far more than what they could expect in the real world.

So, Arlin, while I'd like to see fewer artificial restrictions, without them or a more complex system, the whole project would be pointless for many.
Baron Mordegan
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideas are all well and good..but how will the map be updated and how often etc..you don't want to bog 1 guy down with a load of work if the period between claim wars etc is to short. I suggested 2 weeks but I think depending how succesful this could be I would actually push the time between claims to 3-4 weeks thus allowing for RP and to satisfy those who don't like pvp all the time.
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating the map would take the longest, but afterward it shouldn't be too hard to update. With Flash, it would be a simple matter of creating solid-color overlays for every region and then re-coloring them as needed.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Druids would never be paid to fight. What use is gold to them? Nature and Lord Oaks give them all that they need. End of discussion on that.

Special powers I suppose you mean when I used Norture and OES as an example. Sorry man but personally.. in an RP community- Warfare takes second place to Roleplay.

This was never about who has the twink items to conquer all. This was always about imagination and storyline. So what if bad guys win a few. Its exciting! And you can always RP a revenge saga.

YOU MUST BE WILLING TO LOSE FOR THIS WHOLE THING TO WORK

YOU MUST BE GRACIOUS- YOU MUST NOT BE A SORE LOSER

above all else the RP must go on.

And anyone want to discuss my personal beliefs on the pet per battle topic? Take it up in a new thread.
Arlin
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the thing though, if the good guys cant muster enough people to defeat the bad guys, the bad guys win, good guys wage a rebel war.

I never liked being told I couldnt bring all my guys when I ran the black dogs. I got bitched at alot because, as Mercenaries, people would hire us so they'd outnumber their enemies.

If you lose, you lose, so what. See, the problem has always been 'oh everything has to be fair!' It doesnt work that way. If you keep getting beat, then you need a change of plans or you get wiped out.

The TWP never worked out great because people got tired of being told what to do.

You set basic rules: no rez killing, no stone stacking, no one man guilds owning 20 pieces of land.

Its that simple. You want to attack a piece of territory, you work it out with the enemy guild leader what day and night. If you want to have 5 battles in 5 nights over land, why the hell not!

It could work, but it has to stay simple, now that Ive thought about it more. The TWP was always trying to do all the work: make the guildmasters do the work instead, TWP just sets down basic rules and runs the map, and if nesscerey arbitrates between two guilds. Thats it.

If two guilds want to limit how many people battle, let them decide.
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Arlin.
Aerilyn
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly enough, as do I.
Dan
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I'm not saying you had to, I was just giving out an idea is all.

...and yeah, Arlin's right. You lose? Tough tits. You overwhelmed? Build a rebellion within their kingdom, and take'm out!

The TWP is really starting to sound like a great foundation for RP plots and such, and I really do hope it goes through. I really don't have the knowhow for making FLASH maps, but if you guys would like, I'll try to divide the Southern Malas map as much as I can as so that there will be at least 10 sections or whatever.

As far as the Norture thing is concerned, I just don't think that you can use "RP" to take the advantage in a battle everytime you see fit UNLESS it is approved by the opposing GM.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlin, you make many good points, and I do agree with most.

The limiting of numbers is, in my opinion, somewhat needed. However, those who can field more people, will. The only point in reduction is to give the smaller guilds a chance and of course, to have more fun between all. Plus, you gotta remember that generally we dont have that many RPers anymore. Most guilds only have about 10 active people or so.

One week between claims is so that it is easier for us to update the map and give time for people to work out a place/time for a battle/confrontation.

Stone stacking is something I would more assuredly watch out for. But with the limiting of numbers, it should help to curtail it.

As for the 5 man guild owning 20 sections, I do not see anything wrong with that. If no one challenges them, no biggie.

This whole powers thing people are talking about...it has absolutly no place in the TWP. You need to realize that this is just an OOC tool to help with wars IC. Powers and such would be all about Roleplay and would have to be discussed between those RPing.

Im gonna try and get a message board up and a website of course. Once I do that we should be able to discuss everything alot easier, hehe.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Ceinwyn ab'Arawn
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now, Danny Boy, I never said always or every.. and of course everything discussed OOC by GMs first
Dan
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
Now now, Danny Boy, I never said always or every.. and of course everything discussed OOC by GMs first

<3

Nazralte wrote:

The limiting of numbers is, in my opinion, somewhat needed. However, those who can field more people, will. The only point in reduction is to give the smaller guilds a chance and of course, to have more fun between all. Plus, you gotta remember that generally we dont have that many RPers anymore. Most guilds only have about 10 active people or so.

As for the 5 man guild owning 20 sections, I do not see anything wrong with that. If no one challenges them, no biggie.

This whole powers thing people are talking about...it has absolutly no place in the TWP. You need to realize that this is just an OOC tool to help with wars IC. Powers and such would be all about Roleplay and would have to be discussed between those RPing.

- If you can't beat'm, join'm.

- But in an RP sense, how would a mere 5 man be able to manage an entire 20 sections, considering the factors involving each section? Who's to say that your group would conquer the lands around an orc fort, and the orcs take it back so it becomes free land again? I have to agree with Arlin, the size of your land should depend on the size of your roster.

- Just an idea Nazzy. Wink
Cal Hurst
Atlantic Legend
Atlantic Legend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with 5 person guilds holding 20 sections, either.

Just be prepared for 20 sections to be attacked at once. Then what? You spread yourself too thin and have to pick and choose.
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlin wrote:
Heres the thing though, if the good guys cant muster enough people to defeat the bad guys, the bad guys win, good guys wage a rebel war.

Arlin, if there are rules in place for that kind of war to take place, then sure. Go for it. Re-read my post and you'll see that I don't think that limiting numbers is the perfect solution, just the simplest one.
Smiticles
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into a rules discussion here. You guys can more than handle that.

With that said, I'm all for some form of organzied war games along these lines.

The concept of fair play and the willingness to put ego aside and be a loser is key to making this work.

If my home of Vesper were to be taken under control (mind you I or the ALV lays no claim to the town...I'm not sure or care if anyone really does) I would just RP my displeasure as a citizen, should I actually dislike the controlling guild. If the controlling guild applies some form of totalitarian control that I don't like then I'll just RP a grass roots insurgancy to usurp them.

*A hooded figure walks into the bank square and tosses an explosive into a group of guards and runs*

On second thought that might sound a little too realistic given the modern day world we live in!

What I'm trying to say is, win or lose I will get some RP out of this.
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiticles wrote:
*A hooded figure walks into the bank square and tosses an explosive into a group of guards and runs*

When does the other guild decide it's time to leave, though? Or are the insurgents supposed to gather enough support to take on the entire guild head-on in a conventional battle? That would be their only choice without special rules. I guess such rules could be negotiated out of character, but it would probably save a lot of bickering if there were at least general guidelines laid out.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: