Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards
Roleplay Community Forums for the Atlantic Shard

FAQFAQ SearchSearch CalendarCalendar LinksLinks WikiWiki  RegisterRegister
RulesBoard Rules MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RSS FeedRSS Feed PortalPortal 
  ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesMessages Log inLog in

The TWP, its possible return, and you.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Guerilla insugencies is that...

I don't see a single problem. I like the idea...

I'm Eamonn De Valera, who's Michael Collins?
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Horace Telver wrote:
The problem with Guerilla insugencies is that...

I don't see a single problem. I like the idea...

I'm Eamonn De Valera, who's Michael Collins?

I like the idea, too. But there are problems. People don't really die and NPCs don't really care if purple flasks are being dropped on their homes and the insurgents don't really cause any damage to the guild. Without a few rules, then the outcomes are likely to be scripted, and typically only guildmasters enjoy that.

Last edited by Rosar Ashande on Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential problems with guerrilla movements.... This could be a lot... a LOT of fun...

I'm excited!
Arlin
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the thing Naz: you cant relegate everyone. Let the GUILDMASTERS work out the battles. Just those rules, no rez killing, stone stacking, or 5 man guilds owning all that land.

I have class in 5 minutes so real quick: dont make the rules, jsut the guidelines.

The one week is too long. What you do, is update EVERY sunday. If someone doesnt tell you by SUNDAY they won this land and you can confirm it from the other guy, the map dont get updated till the next week, PERIOD.

More soon, class now.
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea I thought of today was about rebels and such if a town was taken over.

First off, we get as many people as we can from the community as a whole to put in some alt into a Rebel guild. This guild would just be a basic townsfolk type. So when a town, lets say Vesper is taken over by, lets say The Evil Knights, then this basic Rebel guild can join into whatever alliance to help fight them off. These Rebels would only have maybe a piece or two of armor, and GM type weapons (nothing fancy).

They could be used in any town, just to represent the local townsfolk. Heck, they could even be used when Vesper itself was being threatend in the first place.

But, it would depend on the two fighting and the terms they agreed to. If Vesper used the Rebels the first time in a winner take all type fight, then they would be beated, at least for a while.

For everyone saying the 5 man guild cant hold territory, they can. If no one else claims it, what does it matter? Vaen has the right attitude. Sure, they can hold the land, but if someone threatens them, they probably wont be able to fend them off anyways. I truly dont see anyone trying to grab up land just to grab land. It is something I would watch for though. Even back in the day only MTC was the one to grab up all the land, but there was a very good RP plot behind it. Dont worry about it too much right now anyways, its more of something we will have to take care of when the problem arises.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Horace Telver
Certifiable
Certifiable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is that the 'voice of the common man' is non-existant, and therefore easily godmoded.

I know for a fact that the whole, "omfg I w3nt 2 da 'Evil/Good' City n th3y w3r3 d4 sc4r3d!!111 w3 lIbErAte u! d001 m3!!!11111111twelve
Mairsil
Lore Master
Lore Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Five man guilds should be able to take over as much land as they can manage until otherwise stopped. I would say this especially applies if you're including any sort of role play what so ever. Example: oes and oblivion..They will not feild as many people when it comes to bigger battles I'm sure, but they do have oblivion. Yes I know that twp is intended to be an ooc thing to help ig warring, so I'm not saying make it the rules or anything, I'm just saying that the limit of land a specific sized guild can hold should not be a rule.

b) Far as keeping it fair when it comes to the ammount of people on both sides...I don't see that it matters...I'm fairly sure I'm correct in predicting that if side A knows it has less people then side B, Side A will call in allies. When side a calls in allies, side B will be frightened and or Irritaited and will call in its own allies. Once this is done, Side A will either find more allies, mercenaries, or complain..and eventually the gms will work it out before the battl via icq or pm..Whether its been stated or not..this is practically what happens at every major war that ever occurs..with or without the twp. My point being, it doesn't matter, it will work itself out. No need to implement a rule about it.
Dan
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say a GM rules 15 sections...

Him and his men aren't very active, and suddenly someone else wants to attack and take the territory! The GM has no men, and says that he wants to hold it off until the next night, and then the next night, and so on...

My question is when can you actually proclaim that you guild rules that section of land, if they needed the consent of an enemy who refuses to fight because their own ranks can't fight, who has the right to claim? Or are we to say that are everyday GM's are more mature than this?
Nazralte
Lore Keeper
Lore Keeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Mairsil, the point of the number thing is to help stop people from stone stacking. If a bigger threat comes along and they dont have an alliance, they may just go stack thier stone.

Now take for example the 5 man guild. He has a few sections, nothing major, and a guild of 20 comes along to fight them. Take 10 from the guild of 20 and they still outnumber the 5 man guild 2 to 1.

HOWEVER. I will point out that ANY rules that help to govern battle rules (different from land claim rules) can be changed by those fighting. This rule is just meant to help the smaller guys to have some fun too.

And Dan, if someone makes a claim against someone else, to take thier land, the other person needs to respond within that week, or else they would lose it. I will have boards up soon so if someone cant make a battle and needs to postpone it, I think a one week delay is ok. But after that it is forfiet. We all know RL can be a pain sometimes.

Nazralte
Former Regent of Britannia
Baron Mordegan
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazralte wrote:
Mairsil, the point of the number thing is to help stop people from stone stacking. If a bigger threat comes along and they dont have an alliance, they may just go stack thier stone.

I think that alone would encourage more rp diplomacy etc...and you will see "good" aligned guilds seek alliances just as you will see "evil" guilds do the same. If people cannot support their guild in a planned battle at least you have allies.
Transcendent Spammer
Transcendent Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this.. it may be a bit too realistic for some people, though..

If you do not have the power to back up a claim... Don't claim anything.

Like Vaen said.. fine, let the 5 person guild claim 20 cities.. after all, did not OES just make that mistake? They will find themselves picking and choosing what to defend.

Anyone ever play RISK?

This thing, this TWP sounds like a good tool. It will help us keep track of everything, claims, etc. I move we use it for that.

Here is a suggestion Off Topic-

New Rule For RP War
-------------------------

Guilds may not add unknown players to their guilds in times of war. This rule does NOT apply to alternate characters operated and owned by current known and trusted roleplayers.

If you have someone who wishes to join your guild, and it happens to be wartime, then simply ask them to wait until after the war. If they are worth a lick of salt, they will wait.
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceinwyn ab'Arawn wrote:
Anyone ever play RISK?

You don't have an infinite population to recruit soldiers from in UO.
Dan
Sage
Sage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruitment during peace is dandy, but in TWP, wouldn't being at peace seem kinda pointless?

RISK stinks! Razz

Even if you are outnumbered, as the saying goes, its quality over quantity. You can't be afraid to lose, even if it is over overwhelming odds. Just let'm take that section for the day, and then bring some allies in for the next battle, or hell make an emergency alliance for the next battle. Nobody ever said that their ally's troops would overwhelm the enemy, they might just even the odds! Who knows?!

Now exactly "how" do you claim a section? What if like, in some way, you are taking 3 sections at once, and they only have 3 guys online. Would they send 3 into one section, and let you take the rest?, or would it be chronological in the fact that one tries to take that section at this time, so all 3 defend, and then the next sections you try to claim can't be faught for because they already defended with the 3 at that last section?
Aerilyn
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting a bit complicated.
Rosar Ashande
Slightly Crazed
Slightly Crazed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerilyn wrote:
This is getting a bit complicated.

The discussion or the project? It doesn't sound like Naz has committed to any suggestions that would complicate the original proposal.
Post new topic Reply to topic Atlantic Roleplay Community Boards Forum Index -> The Great Assembly Hall All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: